Menu

Meeting with PS principal--what should I ask for?

So I'm meeting with the new principal of our local elementary today to say hello (she used to work with my husband--apparently she's very nice). It's more of a social call, but I did want to let her know about the homeschooling community here and to possibly ask for stuff :D

My question is: how much to ask for? I'm planning on asking for library privileges, and maybe inquire about afterschool activities. Anything else? I'm not interested in sending my kids for classes during the day or anything like that. I don't want to bust in with a list of demands! :)

Anyone done this before?

Gloria

I'd find out, first, what the legalities in the state are. Our state a child can do sports or just a chemistry class or whatever. Know what ground you stand on and find out if what you will be doing would be 1) a favor she could legally grant, 2) a favor she couldn't legally grant, or 3) already a right, no favor needed.

Unfortunately, our state requires nothing of the school district, so all would be favors asked.

Is your school district comprised of only this school? In our district--not NY--it's the district administration that makes decisions like this, not an individual school principal. For example, even when the school staff wanted dd to participate in orchestra the district administration wouldn't allow it.

If I was meeting with a new school principal, I would be going to encourage her, not asking for things. She must be overwhelmed getting ready for the school year.

Also for library services, can you coordinate something with your local public library? Our children's librarian is so supportive of the homeschool community. She lets them vote on Bluebonnet books awards, offers research classes, book clubs - whatever you need.

Edited by Ferdie

Hmm, this just seems, well, odd to me. Meeting just to say hello? What's the point? Why would the principal care about the homeschooling community, especially as a new principal getting ready for a new school year? Why get involved with the school at all if you don't need classes? You live in Syracuse, right? Don't you have a great public library?

If your state doesn't grant rights to anything for homeschoolers at public school, then she could get in big trouble for letting non-students on campus. If she agreed to this and something happened on campus to a child or parent that does not attend the school, insurance will not cover anything and she can get fired and sued.

Does she know this meeting is to ask for things for homeschoolers? or does she think it is a social call? I would not bring up homeschooling at all to be honest.

I keep a relationship with our local principal because there is a small chance our special needs son will re-enter the school system at the end of grade 8. The school will have to create an updated IEP for him if he is re-registered. I will however need his IEP evaluation ready for high school entrance before we sign up for high school otherwise, it won't ever get done during the high school years. All his therapists will need their documents in place also. Which is one reason why I did not leave his board approved therapists, it will make the transition easier, if he returns.

I want a working relationship with the principal so, I work at the relationship now. Knowing that I don't have to do anything they suggest, I still will take in his IEP that I wrote for this school year and share it with the office. They keep a copy of his student records at the school, so they will continue to add the info I share with them to that file. This way, IF we do re-enroll him, there won't be a void of info on the kid for the years we home schooled him.

The bonus for me for this relationship, I am quietly pointed towards software sales my son will need, equipment that will help with issues, government services that aren't generally known in my area (ex: an expert to help build a customized chair for my son to help his muscles stay as relaxed as possible) and I feel genuine friendship from staff and EA's. The french teacher has invited me and my dd in for "lunch" where he will evaluate her and make sure she is staying at level with her classmates. The cost, I bring lunch! :) We are notified when school plays etc are happening so my kids can come in and cheer their friends on. It's a great school and the staff there are great also!

Hmm, this just seems, well, odd to me. Meeting just to say hello? What's the point? Why would the principal care about the homeschooling community, especially as a new principal getting ready for a new school year? Why get involved with the school at all if you don't need classes? You live in Syracuse, right? Don't you have a great public library?

:iagree: I agree.

Anyone done this before?

No. Personally I find it a bit odd. What is your relationship to the homeschool community that you feel you can speak for it? Is this a social call (then keep to the social aspect) or is this an official meeting? If it is an official meeting you should ask the homeschool community if they want services at all and if so which ones.

Lots of homeschoolers do not want any contact with the PS above what the law requires. You might be better served to speak/ask for yourself and your family only.

I wouldn't ask for anything.

If it comes up, though, you can gently point out that homeschoolers and public schoolers are not enemies, that both groups have parents and teachers who love children and are working hard to make sure children are learning, growing, and having a good life. And that we're not all laying on the couch reading trashy romance novels and eating bonbons while our children do the housework or play video games, ;)

"What can I do to help?"

Last year, one of DD's friends didn't have a parent who could go to school for events (and emotionally, really needed someone there for her-her older brother was having a lot of issues and was taking a lot of parent time and attention), so I did the paperwork to be a school volunteer (after discussion with the parent, twscher, and guidance counselor, who agreed that this child needed someone, and that it ws OK for DD to be there)and went to school programs and the like for this child and would do some things (like making folder games at home) to help the teacher. After a few months, the teacher started asking if we'd go on field trips, and began including DD by, for example, putting the clipping when DD won a homeschool spelling bee on her board where she recognized her students' accomplishments. I volunteered at book fair, which let us shop. It ended p being very positive for both girls-and the teacher commented just how much she appreciated having me available during the day. I hope that we'll be able to continue this year, although DD's friend's family situation is much better, and she seems much more secure and happier going into this school year, so it may be harder to justify.