Menu

Lively Latin Book 1 - Grammar

hello fellow knitter ;)

we didn't complete GSWL - we only began it a couple of months ago & whilst my dd was compliant in completing the work, it was a real chore. I was researching where to go when we finished GSWL & decided to just stop & go straight on to LL. She loves history, so i am hoping she will find more joy in her latin studies with LL

thanks for your reply!

I can't imagine LL being enough for grammar. In 16 lessons, you really only get nouns, verbs, adjectives and prepositions, predicate adjectives and predicate nominatives. No pronouns, and very, very limited sentence forms (although you do diagram the limited forms that you learn). It complements another grammar program nicely, and reinforces the learning (or shows you that they aren't actually learning what you thought they were :glare:) but I can't imagine feeling like it was enough.

Edited by rroberts707

I can't imagine LL being enough for grammar. In 16 lessons, you really only get nouns, verbs, adjectives and prepositions, predicate adjectives and predicate nominatives. No pronouns, and very, very limited sentence forms (although you do diagram the limited forms that you learn). It complements another grammar program nicely, and reinforces the learning (or shows you that they aren't actually learning what you thought they were :glare:) but I can't imagine feeling like it was enough.

:iagree: We like LL, but I don't think she explains the grammar near enough if the student isn't already familiar with it.

• 1 year later...

We love Lively Latin, but yes, I teach English grammar still. Latin and English grammar are not the same. They complement each other well, and learning one helps with understanding the other, but there are definitely differences. I also expect my 9 year old to know more English grammar than what is taught in Lively Latin 1.

That said, we're not using a grammar program right now. :D I'm kind of winging it and mostly discussing his writing. I'll probably do some MCT grammar sometime in the next year. My son is ready to talk about phrases and clauses and verbals and such - things that won't be discussed in LL1.

Anyway, Lively Latin is one of my son's favorite subjects! He loves the history woven through the lessons. He loves learning new words or phrases and using them on his brothers, who think they're being insulted in Latin. :lol: I'm glad she reworked the books to be printed double sided. We did the first 4 lessons using instructions from a WTM poster, but now I can print out 5-8 using the 2nd edition (purchasers of the 1st edition can sign up for the 2nd edition "class" using the same code they used for the 1st edition).