Menu

knitting question

I am teaching myself how to knit tonight and have a question on a pattern.

Okay so this is the pattern

Cast on 26 stitches

Knit 18 rows

Row 19 BO first 6 stitches to end

Row 20 BO first 6 stitiches to end

knit 6 rows

knit 2 together

What does the things in red mean?

What are you making?

That pattern sounds to me like it's missing a few steps, if what you've posted is indeed what you have.

When I see a pattern that says "BO first six stitches," that means to bind off the first six stitches; it is used to shape armholes, for instance, after you've done the body of the item. Then you do the same thing on the other side (on the next row, BO first six stitches), so they match.

Usually when a pattern says "knit two together," it means that you insert your needle into the first two stitches on the other needle, instead of the first stitch, and you knit them together as if they were one stitch. You wrap the yarn and pull it through both stitches together. It's a decrease.

What are you making?

That pattern sounds to me like it's missing a few steps, if what you've posted is indeed what you have.

When I see a pattern that says "BO first six stitches," that means to bind off the first six stitches; it is used to shape armholes, for instance, after you've done the body of the item. Then you do the same thing on the other side (on the next row, BO first six stitches), so they match.

Usually when a pattern says "knit two together," it means that you insert your needle into the first two stitches on the other needle, instead of the first stitch, and you knit them together as if they were one stitch. You wrap the yarn and pull it through both stitches together. It's a decrease.

It's a little gnome

There doesn't happen to be a link to the pattern online, does there? I'd be happy to take a look at the whole pattern to see if I can tell where it's going.

Knittinghelp.com is very good though.

No, it came in the before the journey waldorf curric I bought. There is no pictures for me to guess if I am doing it write. What I wrote is exactly how it is written in the curric

It took me a bit, but I found the pattern, with a picture: http://waldorfjourney.typepad.com/the_gnomes_home/2009/06/june-1st-show.html

It sounds like you figured it out, though -- good for you! It is adorable!

Oh you're good! seeing a picture helped me greatly figure out what to do with the cape. Tomorrow I will stuff it and then track down my camera and show you all my work.

I have to say I am pretty pleased with myself. From no knowledge of knitting to a completed cape in my hands in 2 hours. And it doesn't look hideous