Menu

How can I watch the Olympic Games?

You can watch the bbc online streaming if you have a vpn. VPN is virtual private network. Basically you are going through another company's server which hides your real server. People use them all the time when sending sensitive information over public wifi, like if you wanted to check your bank statement while using free wifi at mcdonalds. If you are on an open wifi signal people could intercept your banking information, using a vpn sends it privately. VPNs can also be used to make a website think you are in a different country than you are. I'm American but we are in India for two years. Sometimes there are websites that are only available to Americans. So i use a vpn to make it look like my internet connection is coming from the US. The one I use is tunnel bear and you can use it on either US or UK settings. I just tried and if I log on as UK, I can see all the bbc live streaming and now that there have a few early events, the highlights and full videos. All free.

http://www.tunnelbear.com/

They have 500 mb free each month (which if you are doing a lot of videos isn't much). And I think it is $5 a month for more. There are other similar vpns out there, but this is the only one I've tried.

This is what we are going to do as well...DH is getting it set up right now. I think he picked a different one that was maybe $12 for a month of unlimited or something. I am :angry: that NBC won't let us just pay for a pass to watch their streaming. So even though the VPN route is not totally legal, I feel perfectly ethical given that I can't even pay for it if I wanted to for internet only streaming.

You can watch the bbc online streaming if you have a vpn. VPN is virtual private network. Basically you are going through another company's server which hides your real server. People use them all the time when sending sensitive information over public wifi, like if you wanted to check your bank statement while using free wifi at mcdonalds. If you are on an open wifi signal people could intercept your banking information, using a vpn sends it privately. VPNs can also be used to make a website think you are in a different country than you are. I'm American but we are in India for two years. Sometimes there are websites that are only available to Americans. So i use a vpn to make it look like my internet connection is coming from the US. The one I use is tunnel bear and you can use it on either US or UK settings. I just tried and if I log on as UK, I can see all the bbc live streaming and now that there have a few early events, the highlights and full videos. All free.

They have 500 mb free each month (which if you are doing a lot of videos isn't much). And I think it is $5 a month for more. There are other similar vpns out there, but this is the only one I've tried.

Thank you for posting about Tunnel Bear! I got another 1GB free by adding my Twitter account when I signed up and tweeting about it. I've watched several events and part of the opening ceremony on BBC's iPlayer now, and I like their coverage better than NBC's anyway.

I have to admit, I'm so upset right now about NBC. :(

And I tried to send them feedback on it, and guess what it says? 'Your message cannot be sent' ... yeah, I'll bet it can't. I'm hating the site more and more.

I wasn't even trying to watch live. I would have just liked to see one preliminary race which took place hours ago. Apparently ANY video on there has to be accessed with a paid TV account.

Honestly, even if they had streaming the same thing they have on their regular, FREE, network television station (plain ol' NBC!) I would take it! I don't care about ads! I just want to be able to WATCH!!!

Ugh, I'm so mad right now... :rant:

I

I wasn't even trying to watch live. I would have just liked to see one preliminary race which took place hours ago. Apparently ANY video on there has to be accessed with a paid TV account.

Honestly, even if they had streaming the same thing they have on their regular, FREE, network television station (plain ol' NBC!) I would take it! I don't care about ads! I just want to be able to WATCH!!!

I thought I saw something on there about video being available after a 48-hour delay, but when I went back to look again I can't find it. So I'm going to try again in a couple days, see if I can watch any older events.

I think it's because they aren't airing everything on their free network channel. Some of it is on msnbc, bravo and other channels like that.

It does suck though for all of you who can't watch.

I think it's because they aren't airing everything on their free network channel. Some of it is on msnbc, bravo and other channels like that.

It does suck though for all of you who can't watch.

I know, I'm saying I would be happy enough just to be able to see what they do show on regular NBC. :) I'm ok with not getting things live, or getting tons of extras, etc. I think it would be a good move on their part to make that part available free online, too.

You know, the Olympics should be available to everyone. :glare: This is not some multimillion dollar movie. These are people representing their country. The whole point of the olympics was supposed to be all hippy, love your neighbor, get along, no boundaries, kind of thing. Why are they making this so difficult. :rant: Don't mind me, I'm just being grumpy.

:iagree: We use an antenna and deal with the fuzziness but there should a way for everybody to watch.

I know, I'm saying I would be happy enough just to be able to see what they do show on regular NBC. :) I'm ok with not getting things live, or getting tons of extras, etc. I think it would be a good move on their part to make that part available free online, too.

:iagree:

Check out Sports Livesz. http://sports-livez.com/ I was able to watch the Tour de France live through EuroSport online.

Oh, I just clicked on over there and they had the Great Britain women's football (soccer) game recap.

We are watching the above and sportlemon.tv (many of the links work and some don't) We watched the swimming live in German this morning. Cool!

I just wanted to post my thank you for this link. I'm watching the Equestrian Eventing now and will be watching more of MY favorite events (without the stupid NBC delay and/or commentary IF they were to cover the events) later. We're doing it with Tunnelbear and BBC live feeds (and can even watch old events taped). It's worth $5.

Don't get me wrong, I'd go through NBC if they offered something similar for a reasonable cost, but they don't. And their televised coverage is simply awful.

So yeah, thanks! 100 times over, thanks!

I just wanted to post my thank you for this link. I'm watching the Equestrian Eventing now and will be watching more of MY favorite events (without the stupid NBC delay and/or commentary IF they were to cover the events) later. We're doing it with Tunnelbear and BBC live feeds (and can even watch old events taped). It's worth $5.

Don't get me wrong, I'd go through NBC if they offered something similar for a reasonable cost, but they don't. And their televised coverage is simply awful.

So yeah, thanks! 100 times over, thanks!

:iagree: (except we're starting with gymnastics, but kids will love to see equestrian too) :D

Oh, I'm going to try that link, too!

We have "free" TV w/an antenna, and it never occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to watch the olympics! :( Sad surprise tonight as I snuggled down on the couch with the kids . . . apparently we are not near to any NBC station at all.

You're not missing anything with NBC. Even when they do opt to cover something, they do the bare minimum with it skipping most competitors they deem unworthy of showing (even if they finish well). And of course, most things they don't deem worthy of showing at all - aside from MAYBE 10 - 15 seconds IF an American won a medal in the event.

And most is tape delayed so they can cut everything out they don't want to show. Even if the event is easily showable live, they very seldom do.

If I had to rate NBC Olympic coverage on a scale from 1-10 I'd be assigning negative numbers.

When I watch sports I want to watch the whole competition (or mostly anyway) and I want to see it live if possible.

I'm glad I don't watch much on NBC. I'd feel the need to quit watching their shows to lessen my support of them if I did. ;) They make me that angry when I try to watch them on TV.