Menu

How can I watch the Olympic Games?

We don't have any TV service so I was hoping to be able to see them online. It looks like I could watch online from NBC.com if I already had access to NBC by DISH, etc. Is there any other website I could watch them from besides NBC? I am in the US, so I know certain sites could have a blocked feed. Any ideas?

I don't care if it is live or not, we just enjoy seeing the competition.

We don't have any TV service so I was hoping to be able to see them online. It looks like I could watch online from NBC.com if I already had access to NBC by DISH, etc. Is there any other website I could watch them from besides NBC? I am in the US, so I know certain sites could have a blocked feed. Any ideas?

I don't care if it is live or not, we just enjoy seeing the competition.

:iagree:

I was poking around for answers to this as well. We have basic cable, and I would love to be able to watch online too.

From the bit of research I've done it looks like you need to be subscribed to a cable service to watch it live. On your computer you go to nbc and they direct you to their Olympic coverage site where you set up an 'account'. You're then asked to provide your cable server and go from there. If you don't have cable there's no way to watch the games live. You can, however, watch replays which they will post 2 hrs after the event has occurred. You don't need a tv to watch these.

It looks like the only online viewing, which was being advertised as free without caveat :banghead: is only for those who already have premium paid TV service. Huh?

Do you live within range of a local NBC station? Could you watch the actually free over the air broadcasts on an inexpensive or borrowed TV?

It looks like the only online viewing, which was being advertised as free without caveat :banghead: is only for those who already have premium paid TV service. Huh?

Do you live within range of a local NBC station? Could you watch the actually free over the air broadcasts on an inexpensive or borrowed TV?

In our previous home we had an antenna with no paid service and we watched the last Olympics via the local station we received on the antenna. So I think yes.

Well, ehem...during the last Olympics, we found some websites that let you see some events. I think there were all Canadian sites. Don't know what will happen with the games being in U.K. Those sites were frequently shut down and popped up elsewhere...evidently they were "hunted" down by NBC or whatever broadcast police there is. Dh got pretty good at finding new sites but it is annoying when you are watching swimming and during the last heated moments, everything goes blank. ;)

In our previous home we had an antenna with no paid service and we watched the last Olympics via the local station we received on the antenna. So I think yes.

This is what we are planning, though I'd prefer another option, if we can find one.

There is a free NBC app for the iPad that allows one to watch the Olympics live.

Not really. The app is free, but only people who have a cable/satellite provider can create an account and actually use the "free" app to watch anything. :confused:

You know, the Olympics should be available to everyone. :glare: This is not some multimillion dollar movie. These are people representing their country. The whole point of the olympics was supposed to be all hippy, love your neighbor, get along, no boundaries, kind of thing. Why are they making this so difficult. :rant: Don't mind me, I'm just being grumpy.

You know, the Olympics should be available to everyone. :glare: This is not some multimillion dollar movie. These are people representing their country. The whole point of the olympics was supposed to be all hippy, love your neighbor, get along, no boundaries, kind of thing. Why are they making this so difficult. :rant: Don't mind me, I'm just being grumpy.

TOTALLY! I'm so bummed about it. We have a TV and an antenna, but NBC's signal is sketchy here. :( I'm so hoping that it works for us... but yes, I was thinking this very thing earlier.

Not really. The app is free, but only people who have a cable/satellite provider can create an account and actually use the "free" app to watch anything. :confused:

Yeah, I went and got the app and discovered the same thing. :glare:

So unhappy about this.

Exactly. NBC is filming, not paying for the stadiums, transportation, security, or athletes' training.

So I'm wondering... is the coverage on NBC (the one through the antenna) going to be live? Or will it be second-rate stuff, reserving the best for those who pay?

Just curious.

The evening coverage on the basic NBC channel is not going to be live as I understand it. So the big events, like swimming finals, gymnastics, track and field will not be shown live on NBC. The Opening Ceremonies will be tape delayed.

NBCs other networks(CNBC, MSNBC, whatever else they own) will have some live coverage. NBC's morning broadcasts might show live events. They will stream everything live on NBCOlympics.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/28/sports/olympics/nbc-will-show-every-olympic-event-live-online.html

We've never had cable and have only had a TV for a couple of years, but do most of our watching on the computer. My parent's cable company (not on the official list at NBC.com as it is a very small, local company) allows up to five users on each account, so we're using one of theirs to watch the Olympics. My parents only have a PC, no laptop, iPad, smartphone, etc., so at the most they would only need one of the five spots.

It looks like this site has a link to redirect US people to the nbc site. Bummer. The BBC LIVE links give me this message: I'm sorry, we can't show this content in your area.

We don't have cable or satellite, but we should be able to get NBC over the air. I was just hoping to watch something other than swimming and gymnastics online. Grrr.

I would pay for streaming if it was available, I just don't want to pay for a 2 year cable/satellite agreement to get 2 weeks worth of TV.

Edited by aliall

Is there a deal with your internet service provider? For example at&t uverse (which I don't actually have) is broadcasting the Olympics.

http://www.tvover.net/2012/07/25/ATT+Uverse+Brings+Customers+NBCUniversals+Coverage+Of+2012+London+Summer+Olympic+Games+July+25+August+12.aspx

I don't know about others.

That is cool. We use a small local co-op for out internet (only option where we live). They don't look like they are doing anything like that.

NBC owns the American rights and has partnered with YouTube.

BBC will be streaming it and I don't think you'll need a subscription for BBC. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/2012/

If you click on a sport, then you'll find a live link. There's nothing on the pages yet.

this one says i can't watch it in my area.

2012 Olympics Will Stream On YouTube In 64 Countries

http://www.sbnation.com/london-olymp...m-live-youtube

http://www.youtube.com/olympic

this one redirects me to nbc. sigh....

Not sure about this site:glare:

http://london2012stream.com/

this one wants money. it says it was originally $170 or something, and is now only $50-

:iagree:This makes me grumpy, too.

NBC is offering highlights/recaps for free for everyone online. I know it works and is free, because we just spent the morning watching recaps of yesterday's soccer games. We don't have a cable subscription.

I do wish there were SOME option to pay for just NBC's online content. Surely sometime soon the cable companies are going to realize that they're losing tons of money on the people who aren't willing to pay for full cable, but that a la carte offerings will work to bring back some customers??

I do intend to watch everything I can on NBC over our antenna. We get really good signal here, so I plan to at least watch those events. And I'll watch highlights online.

It makes me sad, though, that so many of us who really want to watch all the olympics can't. I bet there are tons of people who get MSNBC and NBC Sports who won't watch a bit of the games. :(

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Another thing that bugs me is the basketball team. The Olympics aren't for professional, career-getting-paid-to-do-it athletes. I can't stand that they use pro players for the Olympics. I think it gives an unfair advantage. :rant: for me too :)

I would pay for streaming if it was available, I just don't want to pay for a 2 year cable/satellite agreement to get 2 weeks worth of TV.

Could you call your company and see if they have a deal? We have phone/Internet through the cable company and were able to add on the cable service for about $50 more. (We opted for the extra non-basic cable so we could also watch live online). But there was no contract and we will cancel when the month is over. It’s a bit pricey but I really wanted to watch this time.

NBC is offering highlights/recaps for free for everyone online. I know it works and is free, because we just spent the morning watching recaps of yesterday's soccer games. We don't have a cable subscription.

This is what we did last time, but it was a bit frustrating as they didn’t have everything and it was often very delayed.

Could you call your company and see if they have a deal? We have phone/Internet through the cable company and were able to add on the cable service for about $50 more. (We opted for the extra non-basic cable so we could also watch live online). But there was no contract and we will cancel when the month is over. It’s a bit pricey but I really wanted to watch this time.

I just sent them an email, but I know they typically require a 2 year contract. They probably can't hook it up in time anyway.

I haven't tried this, but Al Jazeera is broadcasting them, and you can watch their channel on the internet (or on cable/dish, I guess)

http://www.en.aljazeerasport.tv/Live

It appears to me that they'll show the opening ceremony live.

This only works if you can easily watch video online, obviously, or have some other way to get al jazeera.

Telemundo (US based, Spanish language channel) is also broadcasting, but I don't know if they'll be live. However they are a tv station. http://telemundo.nbcolympics.com/

http://sportsmediajournal.com/2012/07/25/telemundos-early-coverage-of-the-olympic-games/

ETA: I logged onto the Al Jazeera site and was able to watch things, but will wait and see if I can see the opening ceremony live!-- I am in the US.

ETA2: Didn't work. Al Jazeera does have an English broadcast, and I'm not sure if that one was English or Arabic.

Edited by stripe

The BBC one says "live coverage" but it's apparently text only outside the UK. :glare:

I did click on the AlJazeera one - is that going to put me on some gov't watchlist? ;) It wants me to log in as a new customer - so that's not going to work either.

Edited by K&Rs Mom
checked again