Menu

Do you use a white board/chalkboard?

foofoobunny

I have a large whiteboard. I can't mount it, my walls are plaster, so I prop it on a chair.

We do 'dictation' on it-I write down a sentence, they remember it, I erase it, and they reproduce it by memory.

we diagram

we do grammar

it really came in handy for long division

copywork

we use it a lot.

Ours is used for AAS, math, and grammar. This summer, I just propped it up against the wall and kept the bag of colored dry erase markers near it and the kids have been putting up new diagrams every day. I was amazed the amount of research and detail they would put into these pictures ~ the solar system w/moons and belts, parts of a plant, various birds, life cycles, etc...and it was done all on their own. They would then call everyone else in to share their art work. Love that independent learning :)

We have a whiteboard which is used sporadically. I'll grab it when I want to write/draw something to show all three kids together. Or I might get the kids to write on it as a change from writing on scrap paper. Once or twice we've done basic grammatical analysis of a sentence on it. And sometimes the kids will get the whiteboard out themselves to draw a picture or maze.

We have a 3'x5' that I got for AAS, but I lost the hardware & it didn't get mounted. In some ways, it's been nice, but the wear & tear on the board has been bad, and it's gotten all wavy & is super annoying to use now, so we're thinking about replacing it. I also have a little bitty one that was sold with the stuff for lockers that I love, except that the way I did the magnets on the back left it wobbly... again, very annoying, though it's still usable. We use that one quite a bit. Math, spelling, writing practice. Hero's a bit young & writing is challenging, so we don't do tons yet.

I'd like to get my AAS letter tiles set up on a board the way they suggest, but I'm more than a little worried the 2yo will run off with my tiles and they'll be gone!

If so, for what subjects?

What size? Is it mounted to the wall, on an easel or it is small enough to be handheld?

I have a whiteboard that is wall mounted. It is about 2 ft by 3 ft. So, not all that big, but it works for diagramming sentences, working math problems, and writing anything I want copied. Plus it is magnetic and so I will use it to hold up maps or pictures and so forth. I really like it.

Edited by jewellsmommy

So there's the wall mounted, magnetic 3x5 that is used exclusively for spelling and grammar. Then there's the double-sided easel that is used for messages, math, etc, etc, etc. There is also the magnetic 2x3 that is lugged all over the house, but mainly used for magnetic letter and number activites. And let us not forget the 2 good quality lap sized dry erase boards that I used to carry for schooling on the go, pre-iPad.

It would seem I have 5 whiteboards, and perhaps a problem. :leaving:

Edited by BLA5

So there's the wall mounted, magnetic 3x5 that is used exclusively for spelling and grammar. Then there's the double-sided easel that is used for messages, math, etc, etc, etc. There is also the magnetic 2x3 that is lugged all over the house, but mainly used for magnetic letter and number activites. And let us it forget the 2 good quality lap sized dry erase boards that I used to carry for schooling on the go, pre-iPad.

It would seem I have 5 whiteboards, and perhaps a problem. :leaving:

Funny!!

We have several. Three are used fairly regularly: A hand-held one (approx 8x11in) that I mostly use for demonstrating handwriting (DD is learning cursive.) An old, ancient one, approx 12x20in, that requires elbow grease and an alcohol bath to erase, is wall-hung and is where I put memory work. Atm, that's Psalm 117 for the 6yo. And we have an approx 24x36in wall-mounted one, horizontal, that we use alternately for more memory work or kids' play space. They have their own set of markers and are forbidden to even look at mine. ;)

I purchased two magnetic whiteboards for my children when we started homeschooling last year. They are useful and easy to store and have actually been very durable. I paid only about $15 for each and they are in a triangular, easel form for the table. They're big enough for me to teach on but small enough for each child to use flat on the table for math, etc. Here's a link to amazon for one like it, only mine was not that expensive and it didn't have a felt board on the back (just another white board) but at least you can see what I mean: http://www.amazon.com/Educational-Insights-3-in-1-Portable-Easel/dp/B001C609DE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343222025&sr=8-2&keywords=ma

I do have a chalkboard (an old slate one) hanging in our kitchen that I use to to write the weekly menu and date on. I love it and it looks great but I would not want to be using it every day to write a lesson on, etc. It's just not that comfortable to do hanging up. A stand up easel one would definitely be better but I wouldn't know where to put it or how to store it. I have been looking at foldable, telescoping easels though. . .I know I could put that to good use and store it easily!

I probably have enough of those to fill a store :lol:

Chalkboards:

3x Slates: Used for quiet time, drawing, creative thinking, maths, handwriting, games, science etc

1 x Table - We have an ikea-looking kids table that has a black glossy surface, and is actually meant to be used as a "chalkboard" table. This is in our "nature area". We mostly use it for science (I can place objects all over it, and write down what they are etc)

Whiteboards:

Honestly I don't know how many, I'll take an educated guess:

1x Massive two-sided flip one on wheels - The type they have in classrooms :tongue_smilie: it was $99 at my local office supplies store on special, so I grabbed it. I have it up against the kitchen counter. It serves multiple purposes. It blocks the view of the kitchen (thus not having to see messy kitchen when we are going school) Between (over its legs and under the whiteboard) I put our old coffee table. The kids sometimes do school at that desk, I can also store stuff there. The side facing the kitchen I use as a menu planner, the side facing the dining, I use for "family" lessons, for all the kids to see. DH sometimes scribbles notes there in the morning about Atlas' diabetes stuff (notes about her levels or anything else I need to know).

- One "table" size one. Its pretty large. We use this for phonics and spelling lessons in the "cozy" room (what used to be my den, now has a shag rug on the floor, nice and cozy in there). I usually keep it stashed under the futon, and just slide it out when I need it. Theres plenty of room for both me to be teaching Atlas' her lessons and for Atlas to play with her tiles on there.

- One little A4 size one. I will use this for Maths next year, but for the moment it is used for the Pre-K Magnet Pages. Its sparkly pink (since it was originally meant for Atlas lol)

- One more A4 one, usually hangs on the wall in the dining for notes/bills etc. I am in the process of attaching this to my desk.

All of our whiteboards are magnetic. So they always are able to perform some service.

I may have another one or two white/chalk boards I have forgotten about :001_huh: :tongue_smilie: