Menu

Where to buy dancewear?

Hey dance moms -

Pink is about to start her first dance class this fall, and I'm curious as to where you have had luck finding good dancewear. She's supposed to have a black, short sleeved leotard, white footed dance tights, and white ballet shoes.

I've heard Target is good, but in the store they didn't have anything small enough. She's 3, a little over 3' tall, and about 31 lbs. I did see that they have some stuff online, but they don't have any white tights - go figure! :)

I don't mind ordering some of it online, but I'm hesitant about the shoes. I usually like for her to try them on ahead of time.

Anyway, I think the dance studio here sells the stuff, too, but I'm always up for good deals and I'm not sure yet what the stuff costs there. I don't even have the slightest idea where to look elsewhere, though!

TIA! :)

We like Bloch tights. DD got ballet shoes and her first leotard from a local place. Shoes were Leo's brand; Bloch is also good for shoes, but we didn't have a convenient place to have them fitted locally.

I've ordered tights from discountdancewear via amazon before. eta: fwiw, I didn't find the brand name items to be all that much more than the less expensive options, so we went with Bloch, etc.

Edited by Momof3littles

I have found that dancewear tights (bloch, capezio, etc.) last much longer than the stuff from Target. I always buy a size larger than the packet says, because they are more comfortable, are easier to get on, and will fit longer. (I haven't tried the Crazy 8's that a PP mentioned.)

At 3, any ballet shoe will do, but as she gets older a split sole shoe from a dance store will help her to be able to flex/point her foot better. The soles on the Payless shoes can be pretty stiff, and the Capezio and Bloch shoes aren't much more money.

I have found that dancewear tights (bloch, capezio, etc.) last much longer than the stuff from Target. I always buy a size larger than the packet says, because they are more comfortable, are easier to get on, and will fit longer. (I haven't tried the Crazy 8's that a PP mentioned.)

At 3, any ballet shoe will do, but as she gets older a split sole shoe from a dance store will help her to be able to flex/point her foot better. The soles on the Payless shoes can be pretty stiff, and the Capezio and Bloch shoes aren't much more money.

:iagree: I generally order my daughter's stuff from discount dance

http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/kids/tights/page1

I usually order in the fall what I think we'll need. The prices are on par with target but the Bloch stuff lasts SO much longer. She has been using the same 3 pair of Bloch tights for a full year. You may want to have her fitted for shoes the first time. I do order subsequent sizes of shoes in the same model online and that has worked well.

I just found out our dance studio has a shoe exchange (you can size up shoes if they have them for $5 and your old shoes). You might want to ask at your studio if they have a shoe program.

My 3 year old is starting soon too. I got her leotard, skirt, tap and ballet shoes from Walmart. The tights I got on amazon. This was the cheapest I could find. Sounds like you might want an xxs leotard if you go the Walmart route.

Oh, and I ordered my stuff all online. Only the leotard was too big, but I'm keeping it for when she grows into it and just ordering another.

Dance tights last longer. I had a pair past through THREE girls, 2 years each. Really! I still have them, and I'm not selling them. :D They are Capezio.

Discount Dance, Dancewear Solutions, & Just for Kix have good prices and a wide size range. Pay close attention to size charts- each brand runs different.

PayLess shoes have improved (ballet & jazz- their tap shoes are junk) but I really recommend getting her shoes at a dance shop. At our local store, they start at $12.00. I even got SweetChild TWO pairs on clearance for $7 each- adult size! http://www.dancers-closet.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?product=Ballet_Slippers&cart_id=1343174086.965