Menu

Care-takers at hospitals?

My Step FIL is still in the hospital. He has been there since last Tuesday. He was finally diagnosed with a UTI and meningitis. They have had difficulty treating him but are rotating three different antibiotics which seem to be helping. He still has several days before being released and currently, he is unable to even stand unassisted. (There are plans for him going to a rehab center once he is released). My MIL is literally a nervous wreck. I would like to hire a caretaker to go sit with him overnight (and perhaps some during the day) but I'm not sure how to go about doing this. Does anyone have any suggestions? And any idea how much it would cost?

DH has left work and is going down for the rest of the day and I'm going to try to go for the day tomorrow (my oldest is almost finished with recovery from her tonsillectomy).

My dad was in and out of the hospital a number of times. He needed constant supervision, and I was losing my mind. My sister determined that the hospital had sitters who would come on and sit with the patient. The hospital didn't just offer this information up.

I would try to call the hospital social worker and see what is available. We didn't have to pay for this. However, it also wasnt reliable because sometimes a higher priority patient needed the sitter. Eventually we hired and paid help. We paid for help in the rehab center too. The social worker could help find that. Paying for a private paid aide in the hospital and rehab center was the best money my mom spent.

Hospitals do have sitters but they are usually reserved for patients that are in medical danger being left alone which is different from what I am interpreting your FIL's condition as his is more a case of he needs a little extra assistance with daily living tasks which would not be the place for a sitter but rather a private caretaker.

Sitters are limited in what they can and can not do with the patient, their job is just as the description states to sit and watch the patient and call the nurse if a problem is brewing. They can verbally deescalate a patient but they can not physically restrain a patient.

A private caretaker would be able to assist with feeding, cutting food, assisting to the bathroom at the patient's request or caretakers suggestion, provide companionship and discussion, hygiene bathing or showering as appropriate, etc. Check with the facility on what they will and will not allow as well as talk with MIL about what her needs will be once he is released. It may be beneficial to start a private caretaker relationship in the hospital, that will transition with him to the rehab facility and finally back to his home.

With Menningitis and the neurological implications it may be easier on everyone for him to get used to a single person. Also, take the time to screen and interview many caretakers before selecting one as this could become a long term relationship.

When my husband first had his stroke he couldn't think clearly, and he would try and get out of bed even though he was partially paralyzed and couldn't walk. He had just had brain surgery and they didn't want to take any chance at all on his falling. The hospital took the responsibility of posting a nurse at his bedroom door 24/7.

might try calling local college/community college and see if they have a board that you can post in the nursing dept....final year students may be looking for a job or a part time one, local hospital - some cna's moonlight as caregivers, or a local home health agency. HTH

Emily in IL

You could try calling companies that provide home health aides. My mil started with someone from one of these companies for her mother. She was then able to get in contact with a network of people that were moonlighting for a cheaper fee. In our area, it was $15 - 20 an hour through the companies, and $12 - 16 an hour privately. We now have a substantial list of people who do this off the books in case it is needed in the future. You could also ask the aides in the hospital if they know of anyone, or church members, etc.