Menu

Someone else saved the wimp's girlfriend and 2 children:

I am appalled that the woman is still planning to marry that idiot coward boyfriend. I don't care how much he claims to love her; when the chips were down, he abandoned her and his two children.

If I were the woman, I would want to shoot him myself. :glare:

I had read the original article a few days ago and remember thinking the dad running out of the theater and abandoning his 5-month old son was pitiful.

Then I thought I shouldn't judge since I don't know what I would do in the same situation.

But then I knew regardless of the situation, I wouldn't be leaving my kids & spouse with a gunman in a theater and me myself driving away until someone called me to come back so they had a ride home.

She really shouldn't be marrying this anti-hero.

I am appalled that the woman is still planning to marry that idiot coward boyfriend. I don't care how much he claims to love her; when the chips were down, he abandoned her and his two children.

If I were the woman, I would want to shoot him myself. :glare:

:iagree:

At least someone else stepped in to help her.

He's a coward and a loser, and she's an idiot. Seems like a good match.
:lol: and :iagree:

I had to read the article several times because I kept thinking, "Wait. Who is she marrying? She is marrying the guy that left her and her young children alone in a theater with a gunman? And he left the scene even? And she is marrying him?"

I just could not wrap my brain around that. Still can't.

Yes, they seem like a good match.

I read an article earlier today that four men died shielding their girlfriends. This guy not only left his girlfriend but his kids. I sure she's in shock or PTSD. That is probably why she said yes to marrying in him in that moment. When the dust settles and she can process it, I will bet she realizes "Wait! Not only did you abandon me, but abandoned our kids!"

If he had held onto that baby and fled, I wouldn't have a problem with him, even if he'd driven away. The fact that he put that baby down on the floor is what I find incomprehensible. How do you put your baby down, then run and then drive away?

I don't blame him for not making sure everyone in his family got out, even if that would have been more heroic, but I do blame him for abandoning the baby. The mom couldn't even count on him to get the baby he had in his arms out safely.

I might not know exactly what I'd do in that situation but I know my instinct would not be to leave my child behind. I remember tripping on the stairs with my son in my arms when he was a baby. My instinct was to shield him and resulted in me getting more banged up than I otherwise would have been. I don't think that's uncommon.

eta: I know a shooting situation is very different from tripping up some stairs, but I think the instinct to protect your child first is very strong for most people.

Edited by LeslieAnneLevine

:lol: and :iagree:

I had to read the article several times because I kept thinking, "Wait. Who is she marrying? She is marrying the guy that left her and her young children alone in a theater with a gunman? And he left the scene even? And she is marrying him?"

I just could not wrap my brain around that. Still can't.

Yes, they seem like a good match.

I'll bet, the idea of marrying him has been in her head. Thinking they were getting close to the point. So when he asked, yes was probably a knee jerk reaction. Especially considering what she had just been through.

I'm hoping she wises up once she processes through what happened to her, how she could have died, her kids could have died and he left.

This guy not only left his girlfriend but his kids.

Not only did he run off in a panic (possibly, maybe justifiable to some, MAYBE) but he drove off!! It would be almost laughable if it wasn't so tragic!

A few said we shouldn't judge. I disagree. If I or my husband ever did such a thing, I'd fully expect to be judged.

I don't think I could live with myself. I really don't, I'm not saying that lightly. I certainly couldn't live with a man who did such a thing.

I read an article earlier today that four men died shielding their girlfriends. This guy not only left his girlfriend but his kids. I sure she's in shock or PTSD. That is probably why she said yes to marrying in him in that moment. When the dust settles and she can process it, I will bet she realizes "Wait! Not only did you abandon me, but abandoned our kids!"

I hope so. When I read the article the day after the shooting I couldn't believe no one was saying anything about it. He asked the right question, "Who leaves their baby inside?" It was not a case of getting separated. He put a helpless infant down to save himself. WHO DOES THAT? It disturbs me on a very profound level.

It is not a case of you don't really know how you would act. I KNOW without a doubt I would not do that. I KNOW dh would not do that. Parents protect their young. And *especially* infants who cannot move and are in more danger on the floor.

I've read a lot of articles on this trying to make sense of what this guy did. I noted in several places that people said that the mom never even mentioned the guy that saved her until someone who saw him do it talked about it and she was asked about it. HE didn't announce what he did. SHE didn't talk about what really happened until confronted with it. That, combined with the fact that she accepted this loser's proposal after he left her and her children to die, makes me question her as well.

And in one interview, he called the 4yo his step-daughter, though I've only ever seen him refer to who everyone calls his son as "the baby." I don't know if the baby is his either for sure. Perhaps that would explain it some (though others protected strangers and HIS girlfriend's children, whom he presumably had a bond with even if they weren't his biologically).

Edited by kebg11

Yeah, I posted it in the big long thread about blaming the victims. Most agreed. A few said we shouldn't judge. I disagree. If I or my husband ever did such a thing, I'd fully expect to be judged.

Oh, dear. Maybe I shouldn't, but I'm judging. I'm judging hard and I'm judging long.

I suppose the upside is that if she does go through with marrying this guy, he can't possibly disappoint her. Whatever could he do that would be worse than what he's already done?

I've read a lot of articles on this trying to make sense of what this guy did. I noted in several places that people said that the mom never even mentioned the guy that saved her until someone who saw him do it talked about it and she was asked about it. HE didn't announce what he did. SHE didn't talk about what really happened until confronted with it. That, combined with the fact that she accepted this loser's proposal after he left her and her children to die, makes me question her as well.

And in one interview, he called the 4yo his step-daughter, though I've only ever seen him refer to who everyone calls his son as "the baby." I don't know if the baby is his either for sure. Perhaps at would explain it some (though others protected strangers (and HIS girlfriend's children, whom he presumably had a bond with even if they weren't his biologically).

What a messed up situation! I feel badly for the guy who tried to rescue her! I feel even worse for those poor children when neither of their parents seems to care much about protecting them! :(

What a messed up situation! I feel badly for the guy who tried to rescue her! I feel even worse for those poor children when neither of their parents seems to care much about protecting them! :(

:confused:

It sounded like the mother did everything she could to protect them.

Or do you mean the fact that she is still going to marry the guy, and therefore is condoning what he did?

Oh, dear. Maybe I shouldn't, but I'm judging. I'm judging hard and I'm judging long.

I suppose the upside is that if she does go through with marrying this guy, he can't possibly disappoint her. Whatever could he do that would be worse than what he's already done?

This whole post cracks me up. :lol:

If he had held onto that baby and fled, I wouldn't have a problem with him, even if he'd driven away. The fact that he put that baby down on the floor is what I find incomprehensible. How do you put your baby down, then run and then drive away?

I don't blame him for not making sure everyone in his family got out, even if that would have been more heroic, but I do blame him for abandoning the baby. The mom couldn't even count on him to get the baby he had in his arms out safely.

I might not know exactly what I'd do in that situation but I know my instinct would not be to leave my child behind. I remember tripping on the stairs with my son in my arms when he was a baby. My instinct was to shield him and resulted in me getting more banged up than I otherwise would have been. I don't think that's uncommon.

eta: I know a shooting situation is very different from tripping up some stairs, but I think the instinct to protect your child first is very strong for most people.

The bolded is not uncommon. I have a shoulder that still gives me trouble 7 years after grabbing a banister to keep from falling down the stairs with my baby.

I am, in general, trying to limit judging others bc my Mom and MIL can be critical. But this just blows my attempts to pieces.

I had read the original article before it was known about the young man that saved them and even then I could not believe that the boyfriend put the baby down , he even said that he thought there might be more shooters and the baby was crying and this loser guy was afraid that shooters would get him (loser guy not baby) so that is why he abandened the baby and he did not think that was wrong . And then him and his gf were being interviewed all over the place. I could not watch any of those interviews. The media was giving him his moment in the sun and nothing until recently about the 4 boyfriends that died shielding their girlfriends. I know that dh would die protecting his dc and so would my adult nephews that have small children. If she marries that loser, then they deserve each other.

Yeah, I posted it in the big long thread about blaming the victims. Most agreed. A few said we shouldn't judge. I disagree. If I or my husband ever did such a thing, I'd fully expect to be judged.

:iagree:

Of course we should judge. I know a lot of people have said that we shouldn't judge the guy because we don't know exactly what we would do in the same situation, but this woman KNOWS what her boyfriend did -- he bailed on her and their kids.

I have been with my dh for 20 years, and if he ever pulled a stunt like that, he'd be very, very lucky if the worst thing I did to him was file for divorce. I could never live with someone I knew I couldn't count on in a crisis.

I saw a brief interview with the guy, and he didn't even seem particularly remorseful about what he'd done -- and Idiot Girlfriend just sat next to him like everything was just fine.

If not for the actions of that very brave young man, the woman and her kids would likely be either dead or seriously injured, but apparently Idiot Girl doesn't realize that.

:ack2: :ack2: :ack2:

I wonder if the boyfriend stopped for ice cream on his way home, or if he just drove straight there from the theater. :glare: He certainly seemed unconcerned enough about what happened.

Edited by Catwoman

:iagree: Marry that guy? I'd never want to look at his stupid face ever.again!

I would think the woman will change her mind when things have calmed down. She just went through something horrible. I can't imagine how terrifying to be shielding my toddler and look over and see my infant on the ground. She then got to him and tried to protect them both. Then, some random stranger came to her rescue when it should have been the boyfriend. To top it off, you now have cameras in your face. I have no problem saying the boyfriend is a total loser, but I'm not going to judge the mom. I'm really hoping when things calm down and she can process that she sees what everyone else sees.

I would think the woman will change her mind when things have calmed down. She just went through something horrible. I can't imagine how terrifying to be shielding my toddler and look over and see my infant on the ground. She then got to him and tried to protect them both. Then, some random stranger came to her rescue when it should have been the boyfriend. To top it off, you now have cameras in your face. I have no problem saying the boyfriend is a total loser, but I'm not going to judge the mom. I'm really hoping when things calm down and she can process that she sees what everyone else sees.

I hope and want to believe you're right. I hope she didn't mention the guy who saved her because she was trying to process what her boyfriend had done to her. I hope age accepted based on a long-desired wish that he'd propose that she'll now rethink.

I hope and want to believe you're right. I hope she didn't mention the guy who saved her because she was trying to process what her boyfriend had done to her. I hope age accepted based on a long-desired wish that he'd propose that she'll now rethink.

I don't really think anything of her not mentioning it first. I thought I read she was asked if the story was true while still at the hospital. She didn't really have a lot of time to be the first to tell that part of the story.

He didn't just leave his family behind. He had his infant child in his arms, set him down, and then ran away. Boggles my mind. How could she have said yes after that???:confused::confused::confused:

He got in his car and drove away from the theatre while his gf and BABIES where still inside. The mind boggles. :confused:

I agree with this. She must still be in a relative state of shock right now. I imagine it takes some time before things start to feel normal again.

eta: though I also agree with the sentiment of most on this thread who say they wouldn't want to stay with the guy.

If you watch the interview on GMA with the girl and the hero, he says he doesn't consider himself a hero. He said he isn't the type of person to just leave and save himself when he knows that someone and her children are in distress. I can't believe the interviewer didn't bring up the fiance and the fact that he did just that. :001_huh:

The first time I saw it on the news, the newscaster clearly was not even comprehending what she was reading. She looked so confused. I have never been shot at, but I know that I am someone who is calm in an emergency. My dh has been shot it, I *know* that he knows what to do in an emergency and would *never* leave me or our kids behind. That is insane. If you aren't going to be of help during the zombie apocalypse, then why would I marry you? It is one thing to not be sure how someone might react, but she KNOWS he isn't going to save her!!

I'm absolutely judging the mom. She knows, without a doubt, that he left the baby on the ground, abandoned her and her other child, escaped from the theater, and then drove home.

If she wasn't ready to do that moron serious bodily harm when she finally saw his cowardly face again, she is a Complete Idiot. Period. This guy left her and her kids to die... and she's going to marry him.

He's lucky she didn't kill him!

I'm absolutely judging the mom. She knows, without a doubt, that he left the baby on the ground, abandoned her and her other child, escaped from the theater, and then drove home.

If she wasn't ready to do that moron serious bodily harm when she finally saw his cowardly face again, she is a Complete Idiot. Period. This guy left her and her kids to die... and she's going to marry him.

He's lucky she didn't kill him!

Maybe she's in shock and hasn't had time to process. I don't know one single person who has been through what she has. She protected her children, survived a mass murder, and was left by the one person who should have helped. Then, she has the hospital and media to deal with. I doubt she's had much time to think and process. I won't judge her because I hope if I'm ever in that situation that I am able to get my children out alive, as she did. I hope that after she has time to just think, she will realize that the bf is not worthy.

I can't get over him putting the baby on the floor in a stampeding mob. :confused:

That poor girl has some serious issues or she's going to have some if she does marry this loser. If he'll run out at a time like this it'll be easy for him to run out all the time - on her, on his kids, on providing for her and the kids....

Thank God there are still young men in the world like the other guy.