Menu

Do you have something ...

hanging from your rearview mirror? I was out today and someone's lei on their rearview mirror caught my eye. I started looking at other cars and about half I saw had things hanging on their mirrors too. So of course, I wondered about the Hive! Oh, I don't have anything on mine. I can't think of anything clever or special enough to warrant such a display.

A cord/string thing that I picked up off the ground at my internship and randomly put in my pocket the day I found out I was pregnant with DS1. It used to be bright pink but faded to white. DH thought it was a sign that we would have a girl, so he put it there and when we got a new car, he moved it to the new one.

I haven't had anything on my mirror since high school (my graduation tassel).

DH used to have a Star Wars air freshener on his. It was about four years old, but he never took it down. When our cars were broken into a few months ago, those little twits ripped it off the string, left it in the car, and stole a small tool set that was in our trunk.

The broken, unscented air freshener is sitting in one of the trays under the stereo. He won't throw it out. The stolen tool set is sitting in property at the sheriff's department - still. :glare:

I can't stand anything that dangles, sways, or interrupts my line of vision while driving. DH has a parking pass in his car that I usually take down when I drive it. We also have Sunpass stickers on the windshield, but we installed them so that they are mostly obscured by the rearview mirror.

I hate things hanging from the mirror and obstructing my view. So it really aggravates me that I have to have my parking permit for work hanging there. As long as it was there bugging me, I tied a thread bracelet that my daughter made for me to it (it was too small to wear comfortably).

No, it drives me crazy. And it IS illegal in MD.

My E-ZPass is velcroed to the windshield just below the mirror mount. I can't see it from the driver's seat and can only see the bottom of it from the passenger seat, and I sit further back on the passenger seat.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

We don't anymore. I actually think that is illegal here, not sure though.

But in my old car I did. In high school I hung mardi gras beads (no, I didn't earn them ;) ) and a lei. In college I kept those and added a little powerpuff girl (Bubbles, the blonde one). I can't remember if I had that stuff on the car we got when that one died (literally - on the side of the highway when Link was 1.5 and I was pregnant with Astro!) or if I got rid of that stuff with it...

In my old car, I had a couple strands of shells that we got in Hawaii at a Luau. Other than that, I don't think I have ever had anything there.

The one that I don't understand....I sometimes see gold necklaces or other jewelry. I wonder why people would put something of value out where it may encourage thieves. The thief wouldn't necessarily be able to tell if it were real gold/silver or a cheap knock off.

I only have one of those car air fresheners. It is little, I am short and my car is pretty tall. It could not possibly obstruct my vision. When we lived in Hawaii my shell leis collected there. In my younger days I had a plastic skull named Bob (because he bobbed up and down).

For the longest time we had a tiny pair of Jesus sandals hanging from the rear view mirror (only removed because dh said it has become illegal here now). They were a gift from a friend when our then-newborn (now 9yo) was in the NICU with heart and feeding issues. We had also just learned he had Down syndrome.

The little sandals, which would have fit his tiny feet back then, were such a comforting reminder of Jesus' presence during that difficult time and of all the people who were lifting our little guy up in prayer. And we did see such amazing answers to those prayers. The sandals, still in the car but in a less obtrusive location, are kind of like an Old Testament memorial stone reminding us to be thankful and to celebrate the goodness of God.