Menu

Do you feel guilty returning curricula w/ a guarantee?

alisoncooks

I am leaning toward returning our AAR1 curric. We've used it about a month and it does have a generous return policy. DD & I both like the idea of it, but are just really struggling to implement it and make it work for us. :(

So, like I said, I'm considering returning it...but I feel *badly* about it.

Have you ever returned something like this? Did you feel guilty about it?

Yes, I had the same situation with AAR-pre. We used about two weeks and I knew it wasn't going to work for us. I knew they had a great return policy but I also knew that they wouldn't be able to resell the workbook so I ended up selling the package on homeschoolclassifieds.com. I ended up recouping about 50% of my cost so I was satisfied.

I don't think you should feel guilty. The author/company knowingly takes a risk when they offer a guarantee--it's not like they don't know that it won't work for some people. Guarantees like that have been the deciding factor for several purchases for me (Sonlight, IEW, AAS...)

Now, it sounds like you like parts of it but don't like other parts, so it might be worth asking for help adapting it, to see if it could become a favorite. Maybe the parts that aren't working could be adjusted and make a big difference--or maybe not. I'd either email AALP or post here to get ideas, and then decide.

Merry :-)

Let the company serve you, the customer, with their customer service.

Someday in the future you may decide that you want to try that company's products again. You'll remember how they value their taking care of their customer's true needs. Apparently, their number one motive isn't making a buck, but in helping customers get what they need to teach children how to read and spell. :001_smile:

I would absolutely take advantage of their generous return policy. I certainly wouldn't feel guilty about it. I just returned some things to Rainbow Resource that I just decided we were not going to use.

I also purchase Sonlight knowing full well that if we don't like it, we can return it. Their policy is 18 weeks...half the material!

I just got done returning AAR Pre 1 and that was after months of hesitation because I felt so guilty. They made the process SO easy and reassured me that I should not feel guilty. We figured out that AAR 1 was a much better fit. Luckily I already had it, but with three kids I know we have many more levels of AAR and AAS that we will be purchasing! The entire process was just one of the many reasons that I know I'll be buying from them for years to come :001_smile:

The only reason why I didn't hesitate to buy SWI-A was their return policy. Otherwise, I would have bought used or thought about it so much and not have moved forward.

Companies offer it knowing that there will be returns. No guilt here if I see that SWI-A doesn't work for us.

I would only feel guilty if I was returning it after using the entire program! :lol:

Seriously, though, if it's not working for you, you should feel absolutely no guilt about taking advantage of their generous return policy... that's what it's for. :001_smile: