Menu

Favorite Pizza Sauce Recipe?

I love homemade pizza. My kids love Papa Johns. :001_rolleyes: They complain that they don't like my pizza sauce (I don't really love it either).

Can you tell me how you make your pizza sauce so it is yummy and will make my kiddos forget about Papa Johns Pizza?

We just take tomato sauce, add in Parsley, Basil, onion, and garlic, a little bit of brown sugar and some of the powdered Parmesan cheese. My kids loves it.

I measure nothing. LOL I use about 2-3 cans of tomato sauce for two pizzas, but we make big rectangle pizza.

ETA: The Parmesan cheese is the secret ingredient. It gave it the restaurant taste.

Edited by happyhomemaker25

My easy go to pizza sauce recipe. 1 can tomatoe sauce, 1 Tb. Italion seasoning, 1 tsp. onion powder, 1 tsp. garlic powder and a dash of evoo. Let simmer for a couple minutes. It makes two cookie sheet pizzas.

I add garlic, salt, onion, basil, oregano, wine (if I have it), tomato puree and a bit of sweetness (usually honey but I'm out right now). I like to saute onions in olive oil first but don't always I tweak to taste and measure nothing.

We use this and my crew loves it

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/exquisite-pizza-sauce/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=pizza%20sauce&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

That being said... we love Papa Johns too.... actually I'm not crazy so much for their sauce as for the chewy crust and the garlic dipping sauce!

Edited by labst60
spelling

I don't remember where I found this recipe.

Papa John's Pizza Sauce

1- 10 3/4 oz. tomato puree

1/4 c. water

1 tea. olive oil

1/4 tea. lemon juice

1/4 t. (each) salt, oregano

1/8 t. (or a pinch) basil, thyme, garlic powder

Bring to boil, simmer for 15-20 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...
I cheat :D I take a jar of Ragu Margarita flavor {sometimes it's labeled Tomato & Mozzarella} and use that. If I have time I cook it on the stove and spice it up a little :D Tastes almost exactly like Pizza Hut's sauce, and WAY easier.

And we use Prego Spaghetti Sauce, which is very similar to the Aldi Premium Spaghetti Sauce.

Now I use it for lasagna, hot sandwiches, etc. Instant pleasure!:001_smile:

I was once a cook at pizza hut, and their sauce was basically italian season paste plus water .. . i basically do that - take paste, add a LOT of every seasoning in my cabinet that looks like it would work with italian food (ok, but not weird stuff that i bought only for sausage, forget what its called, big seeds, kinda licorice-like) anyways, add water to desired texture, let sit while you prep everything else.

Mine is one I've changed slightly from a Papa John's clone I found a few years ago. I went through several different recipes for pizza sauce before we all fell in love with this one. The measurements for the oregano/basil/garlic are approx. (I don't measure them).

2 cans of tomato puree (I like Hunts because it is thicker than some other brands)

4tsp. sugar

3/8 tsp salt

1 tsp oregano

3/4 tsp basil

1 1/2 tsp. garlic pwd.

3 tsp. sunflower oil

1/4 tsp olive oil