Menu

What to do in New Orleans..

Go to the French Quarter, eat beignets at Cafe' Du Monde. Central Grocery has great muffalettas and poboys. Get bananas foster for dessert somewhere. Don't be afraid to eat at places that look like they could be condemned any day ~ the best food is usually there.

There are lots of historic buildings, graveyards and museums.

We live here, and :iagree: with the above. If you're interested in museums, I hear our WWII museum is fantastic, but I haven't been yet. (We haven't lived here long). I could give you a million ideas for what to do with kids, but not that many without. I can't seem to shake mine very often!

When we went we saw so much. I loved it!

WWII Museum

Cafe du Monde

Laura Plantation

Oak Alley

Ghost tour of the French Quarter

Tour of the Garden District (includes some graveyards)

Eat some turtle soup somewhere. It was yummy.

I'll post again if I think of more. Have fun!

are you kidding?

French Quarter, tour the Garden District, eat, eat, eat.

Eat brunch at the Court of the Two Sisters. Eat at the Monteleone hotel, Eat at Andrew Jaeger's House of Seafood. Get beignets and coffee at Cafe DuMonde, and get pralines at Aunt Sally's on Decatur street (just down the block from CDM).

Shop the markets and sight see. Go see some live music. There is a fabulous Irish pub that often has delightful artists, both local and on tour from elsewhere.

I don't know if they rebuilt the Riverwalk mall after Katrina, although I can't imagine why they wouldn't have done so. If they did, go there as well.

The zoo is also really nice (but disgustingly hot this time of year, as will everything else be).

Bring an umbrella.

dh and I are going to NO in the fall for his conference. I get to tag along. Just he and I, no kids. What should we do while we are there?

Is it the AAP conference by any chance? We are going also, but with kids.

We live here, and :iagree: with the above. If you're interested in museums, I hear our WWII museum is fantastic, but I haven't been yet. (We haven't lived here long). I could give you a million ideas for what to do with kids, but not that many without. I can't seem to shake mine very often!

Ooooh, I’d love to hear your million ideas. We’ll be there in October with three kids, ages 3,5 and 8. Dh would particularly love ideas for what to do with the kids while I’m in the conference. :)

Ooooh, I’d love to hear your million ideas. We’ll be there in October with three kids, ages 3,5 and 8. Dh would particularly love ideas for what to do with the kids while I’m in the conference. :)

Our favorites (my kids are 5 and 4):

• aquarium, then ride the Algiers ferry back and forth across the river afterwards (ferry is free to pedestrians and the entrance is right by the aquarium)
  • zoo
  • play at City Park, just explore, play on playgrounds, or go to Storyland, an adorable little park with a Fairy Tale and Nursery Rhyme theme. Storyland is $3/person
  • walk around the Quarter, eat beignets, listen to street musicians, walk through the Blue Dog gallery
  • our children's museum is pretty good, and getting better! They've been renovating
  • ride a street car!

I'm sure I could come up with more, but that'll get you started!

Is it the AAP conference by any chance? We are going also, but with kids.

It is WEFTEC. Big engineering conference. We will be there Oct 1-3 or 4, I think.

are you kidding?

French Quarter, tour the Garden District, eat, eat, eat.

Eat brunch at the Court of the Two Sisters. Eat at the Monteleone hotel, Eat at Andrew Jaeger's House of Seafood. Get beignets and coffee at Cafe DuMonde, and get pralines at Aunt Sally's on Decatur street (just down the block from CDM).

Shop the markets and sight see. Go see some live music. There is a fabulous Irish pub that often has delightful artists, both local and on tour from elsewhere.

I don't know if they rebuilt the Riverwalk mall after Katrina, although I can't imagine why they wouldn't have done so. If they did, go there as well.

The zoo is also really nice (but disgustingly hot this time of year, as will everything else be).

Bring an umbrella.

Yep the Riverwalk mall is still there. Was just in there Saturday.