Menu

Does anyone hear from Pencil Pusher?

My feelings got Way Too Thin for the Internet. :)

Last summer when we moved here, a neighbor googled me & printed everything I'd said here & gave it to my mother. Turns out, it's hard to read internet forums in their printed form--it's hard to keep track of WHO said what in that format.

I changed my name--total disaster. I tried to just stick to hs topics. Not as much fun as just...being myself. Take all the anecdotal information out, & ... bleh.

Then I noticed the Really Thin Skin. It's worse than dial-up.

So I decided to stay off the boards until we are living in a new location.

I miss you guys & plan to be back as soon as possible, it's just not a good idea right now. Think extended board break.

In the mean time, though, I've gotten to know a couple of boardies here & as nice as y'all are in my head, I REALLY like knowing you in person. Lara is *wonderful.* And VA2662 or some other arrangement of numbers has also become a great friend.

And now the most recent crazy person story, to assure you that I am me (because who else do these people EVER talk to???):

Dh & I were reading (aloud to ea other) at Starbucks. First time we'd been out alone together since before the move. It was the only empty table in the place, & it was right under a speaker w/ crazy music, but we leaned in, whispered, etc.

The table next to us had *stuff* not a person, but the person returned to her seat 5-10 min after we arrived. She sat there w/ (unused) headphones & her laptop & kept making faces at me. It was weird.

Finally, she leaned over & interrupted us. We were too distracting. Could we please be Completely Silent?

I actually gaped. We put our book away, but what else does one do in Starbucks? We sat & chatted stiffly, but she kept making faces at me.

Then there was the lady in a red dress & stilletos (sp?) waiting for the bus. At noon. In front of Toys R Us. I'm always so grateful when dh sees these things, too (only when he's with me) because otherwise, I might consider checking myself into a psych ward. But imagine the crazy things I'd see there! :D

Dh just finished a graduate certificate in project management. What that means for when he'll find a job that will involve relocating, I cannot say, but perhaps sooner than later.

Also, I've got my religious questions sorted out, & I can't wait to have a nice long religious conversation w/ you guys! But I'll have to. For now.

Other updates:

Baby is just starting to pull up, has almost 8 teeth, & bites like the dickens. He's had trouble starting solids because of reflux, but despite that, he weighs over 30lb & has the height to match.

My oldest is starting middle school in the fall (homeschool), & it's stunning to watch a kid not be a kid any more. And sometimes not an adult either. ;)

I got to speak at a conference this month. That was a lot of fun. And I got to meet Judomom FINALLY!

My hair is almost the right color again, but quite short. :001_huh:

I've never loved a place as much as I've come to love CO, despite the wicked heat this summer--and yes, a broken a/c. What else? :D

See you guys soon.

I've been wondering too, and just wanted to pop in and wave at you from VA!

Glad to hear the new little one is doing so well, and not so little, either. :)

Happy thoughts to you!

ETA: DH and I just watched a documentary on coffee houses, and how they started out as a social place, and have morphed into a place where people basically ignore each other and don't speak, much like an elevator. Your crazy lady story reminded me of that film! We are supposed to read and talk in a coffee house, of all places. Silly people.

My feelings got Way Too Thin for the Internet. :)

Last summer when we moved here, a neighbor googled me & printed everything I'd said here & gave it to my mother. Turns out, it's hard to read internet forums in their printed form--it's hard to keep track of WHO said what in that format.

I changed my name--total disaster. I tried to just stick to hs topics. Not as much fun as just...being myself. Take all the anecdotal information out, & ... bleh.

Then I noticed the Really Thin Skin. It's worse than dial-up.

So I decided to stay off the boards until we are living in a new location.

I miss you guys & plan to be back as soon as possible, it's just not a good idea right now. Think extended board break.

In the mean time, though, I've gotten to know a couple of boardies here & as nice as y'all are in my head, I REALLY like knowing you in person. Lara is *wonderful.* And VA2662 or some other arrangement of numbers has also become a great friend.

And now the most recent crazy person story, to assure you that I am me (because who else do these people EVER talk to???):

Dh & I were reading (aloud to ea other) at Starbucks. First time we'd been out alone together since before the move. It was the only empty table in the place, & it was right under a speaker w/ crazy music, but we leaned in, whispered, etc.

The table next to us had *stuff* not a person, but the person returned to her seat 5-10 min after we arrived. She sat there w/ (unused) headphones & her laptop & kept making faces at me. It was weird.

Finally, she leaned over & interrupted us. We were too distracting. Could we please be Completely Silent?

I actually gaped. We put our book away, but what else does one do in Starbucks? We sat & chatted stiffly, but she kept making faces at me.

Then there was the lady in a red dress & stilletos (sp?) waiting for the bus. At noon. In front of Toys R Us. I'm always so grateful when dh sees these things, too (only when he's with me) because otherwise, I might consider checking myself into a psych ward. But imagine the crazy things I'd see there! :D

Dh just finished a graduate certificate in project management. What that means for when he'll find a job that will involve relocating, I cannot say, but perhaps sooner than later.

Also, I've got my religious questions sorted out, & I can't wait to have a nice long religious conversation w/ you guys! But I'll have to. For now.

Other updates:

Baby is just starting to pull up, has almost 8 teeth, & bites like the dickens. He's had trouble starting solids because of reflux, but despite that, he weighs over 30lb & has the height to match.

My oldest is starting middle school in the fall (homeschool), & it's stunning to watch a kid not be a kid any more. And sometimes not an adult either. ;)

I got to speak at a conference this month. That was a lot of fun. And I got to meet Judomom FINALLY!

My hair is almost the right color again, but quite short. :001_huh:

I've never loved a place as much as I've come to love CO, despite the wicked heat this summer--and yes, a broken a/c. What else? :D

See you guys soon.

I'm new enough to posting here that I don't really know you well... but this is the 2nd time on this board I've heard about someone being found and having their posts read/printed, and THEN handed out to family members!!?? :confused:

Is this some new trend I'm unaware of?? I think that is just crazy! Why does someone even think to do something like that? Wow... just wow..

I'm glad to hear you're OK, and saddened to know that you still don't feel comfortable being here and being yourself because of some nosy idiot. :grouphug:

:iagree::iagree:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I have such a low tolerance when it comes to nosy idiots.....sorry you have to deal with such uncomfortable circumstances.

:iagree: and she's not the first one. :glare:

I was just thinking the same thing. In light of Chucki's recent post about missing certain people too, and name changes. It's just so weird.

You know what though, it's scary how easy it can be to figure out who someone is online. There was once a poster here who had her husband's first name and her kid's ages in her siggy, an she also had a link to her blog. It took about 2 seconds for me to know who she was here locally. That was kind of a scary thing for me. I don't know why. I mean I am out and about in my local community. I guess we think of this place as anonymous and it often isn't.

PencilP, it was GREAT to hear from you! You sound great!!

I was just thinking the same thing. In light of Chucki's recent post about missing certain people too, and name changes. It's just so weird.

You know what though, it's scary how easy it can be to figure out who someone is online. There was once a poster here who had her husband's first name and her kid's ages in her siggy, an she also had a link to her blog. It took about 2 seconds for me to know who she was here locally. That was kind of a scary thing for me. I don't know why. I mean I am out and about in my local community. I guess we think of this place as anonymous and it often isn't.

I had someone on here figure out who I was from the magnets on my car. We had pm-ed, and she had more information about me than most people. But I saw her at an event and talked to her. Later she pm-ed me and asked if that was me. I was happy, though, because since then, we get to talk in person.

I had someone on here figure out who I was from the magnets on my car. We had pm-ed, and she had more information about me than most people. But I saw her at an event and talked to her. Later she pm-ed me and asked if that was me. I was happy, though, because since then, we get to talk in person.

Perhaps it's different if someone from an online forum finds you - kind of like a little meet-up. Hey, I think it would be fun too.

But it' just seems so weird to have IRL family/friends/acquaintances(???) search for someone online, trying to find them in forums, and then stalk them and print out what they've said to share it with others. That just really crosses a line (or two!). It takes a special kind of person to do that one. ;)

You know what though, it's scary how easy it can be to figure out who someone is online.

:iagree:

I lurk on another homeschool forum and realized from a vacation story that the poster was the sister of a casual friend of mine, because I was recently at a birthday party and heard the same story. I wasn't trying to stalk or figure the person out, just hearing a funny, once-in-a-lifetime type story...