Menu

Very thankful today for my parents and their support of homeschooling.

I saw my folks this past week while on vacation. I don't see them often, but we stay in touch (fb, texting, phone calls).

My dad said if they had kids at home now, he would definitely homeschool.

:001_wub: I love my dad. :001_smile: He's a man of few words, so to hear him say something like that just means a lot to me. I guess in a way, I'll always want his approval; he is my dad, after all. I know there are things about how dh and I live that he *doesn't* agree with, which makes it extra nice to have his support on homeschooling at least.

It's just really nice to have that support. It's kinda hard and awkward with my inlaws, because they all disapprove of homeschooling.

That's all. Just wanted to share. :001_smile: Anyone else have parents/others who they appreciate for their homeschool support?

I know what you mean about always needing your father's approval. One time my father told me that my kids were so smart and advanced that we should just take a year off and spend it fishing with him. So sweet.

I've never had a critical work about homeschooling from anyone in my family, even though there are several educators and no one else has every done it. I hope I can be that way when I have daughters-in-law.

My parents are very supportive!! My mom worries about test scores and my older dd who is my aspie, but other than that, they are thrilled with our decision. I'm an only, though, so maybe that has something to do with it :D My in-laws (divorced) have always been "everyone do what's best for them" kind of people. We see them maybe twice a year. If they have ever disapproved, they have never shown it.

Having said that, however, my MIL attended my dd17's homeschool graduation ceremony in May. There were 38 kids graduating. They had the caps and gowns and any of them that wanted to perform, did. My MIL was blown away by how kind and courteous and talented the kids were and how a couple even came up and spoke and held the door when she came in. I couldn't help but smile and tell her that homeschoolers really are a different breed ;) MIL didn't know that dd could sing and was shocked when her shy, introvert granddaughter got up in front of hundreds of people and sang the closing song. At the end of the day she told me what an amazing job we were doing, what amazing kids we had, and how glad she was that we were homeschooling. Twice! All my SIL's also heard about it, for weeks :lol: MIL is now firmly in our homeschooling camp :D

My parents have never really commented on home schooling. They have said they wouldn't want to use our local PS if they had kids (the same one I attended). Apparently the community isn't doing a good job of maintaining the school standards.

My in laws were a little concerned but for the most part see that we are doing a good job.

I haven't had a good opportunity to use all those snappy come backs I read. :)

I'm absolutely positive beyond a shadow of a doubt if my parents were alive today, they'd be phoning me 17x a day to check on her HS progress and giving me hints/clues/suggestions on what to do next.

My parents would have loved this to pieces and I'd definitely be turning down loads of books they'd give her...well, at least trying to manage them. My mother had excellent taste in books.

If they could have been involved, I can't even imagine what it would have looked like.

My mother was so supportive with my oldest and was always bugging to be included; the day the cow eyes exploded in her kitchen was absolutely hysterical. What a great memory..:lol:

I have received a few dillusional comments (socialization, much easier this way- don't have to get up early for the bus... Nevermind that my kids are up at 6am regardless of who schools them, lol....) Anyway the normal stupid stuff is what I hear usually.

I feel you Bethany- there is something about the unexpected support too. It makes it supportive and complimentary all in one.

I have one too: My Grandfather-in-law, who is very old-school-by-the-book-traditional average 89 yr old man pulled me aside at a dinner function and said "I am so glad that you are raising these grandbabies of mine, you are raising them right and I know it's much harder than you let on. Keep it up- they are the smartest, most well behaved grandchildren I have." and then gave me a hearty clap on the shoulder and went on. Lol

It meant soooo much because of his background, personality, and nature. He is not a touchy feely- with words or actions. He can come off pretty gruff at times. He does have a wicked sense of humor though. So- the fact he had a positive opinion and actually voiced it to me- HUGE!

My mom and step dad are totally on board. They were a tiny bit iffy in the beginning, but were probably afraid to say much to me.

My dad...who knows. I just lost him to COPD/Parkinson's, but he didn't comment on much.

My in-laws.....I told hubby he should tell them right away. They found out by coming to visit and having our 7 yr old tell them that he wasn't going back to school....the look on my mil's face was priceless....and I love her. She quickly regrouped and asked a few questions. FIL said some things a couple of years ago about the kids not being around other kids...MIL jumped on him before anyone could respond....telling him about all of the things they do.

We graduated our oldest in May. My parents spoke (mom and step dad). My MIL spoke, and left no doubt that she is an avid supporter of ours. All of my homeschooling friends were envious of her kind, affirming words.

Support is really nice, isn't it?

My parents I think were quietly skeptical at first, but they would have never uttered a word about it. They are huge supporters now and talk up HSing to lots of people :)

ILs were not supportive but didn't say much. I think they are now "quietly supportive." ;)

I'm a little jealous. My IL's have been making comments to other people around town about how I'm ruining my kids since I started, and I'm happy if I get to have a conversation with my parents, let alone support of any kind.

When we made the decision 3 years ago to homeschool, I SO dreaded making that long distance call to my mom to tell her. I already knew my MIL wouldn't care one way or the other, as she is pretty uninterested in our kids in general. But I just knew my mom would be negative about it.

What a lovely, lovely surprise I had in store when she listened quietly as I rambled on a little too fast, then said "I think you have no choice and clearly this is what you should do. I know it will be hard at first, but I know you and how you can do anything...and do it really well...when you set your mind to it. I am behind you 150%".

I am tearing up even as I type this because I was so darned scared knowing I was starting with one at home, but within a few short months it would be 5 home, with 2 speaking no English and one with serious learning disabilities. Hearing those words were just the shot of encouragement I needed, just when I needed it most. I'll never forget it.

Today she often BRAGS that her grandkids are being homeschooled and getting a much better education than they otherwise would. She tells me often how much better SHE feels knowing they are home with us, where they belong :-)

Yea, grandparents who care can make all the difference in our hearts!

Cindy

That is terrific!

Both my parents were public school administrators. My mom died before I started homeschooling, but I always like to think she would approve. I don't think my dad approved, but to his credit he never said one negative word about homeschooling.

My ILs don't say much about it either. I think it is just a foreign concept to them. Like my dad, they have never even hinted disapproval though.

My parents were on board from the start. We live in a much larger place than I grew up and I went to private school as a child to avoid public school back then. So they were really worried about public school when my kids attended. They were ecstatic when we started homeschooling.

My MIL and step FIL were supportive. They are go with the flow people. MIL works in admissions at the community college and has seen what the public school churns out.

My 2nd set of in-laws on the other hand work in the public school system. My step MIL works in the school that my nieces and nephews have attended. I honestly kept it a secret and it surprised them around Christmas time when we told them we had been homeschooling that year. FIL approached dh several times. Step=MIL expressed concern to a friend of mine that had a kid in the school where she works. DH told his Dad that he supported me 100% and FIL admitted that he thought it was all me pushing for homeschooling. They haven't said any bad things since that year.

My dd won outstanding 6th grade member of our 4H club for the whole parish (public school club-so it was out of a lot of kids). She won 1st place in an internet poster contest for 4H as well. She represented 4H at the state capital as a delegate this year. The affirmation in a public school club that she excelled was a big deal for FIL and Step-MIL (Step-MIL works in this parish). DD is gifted. She tests really well every year. Now FIL goes around telling everyone she is a genius. Step-MIL can't believe how polite and well mannered ds9 is around teenagers and adults. When he was introduced to his Aunt's (dh's 17 year old sister) boyfriend this summer at a pool party...he told him his full name, apologized for not getting out of the pool to shake hands, and told him it was nice to meet him. The 18 year old boy was blown away and step-MIL commented on ds9's manners and behavior. I was astonished that she was surprised at his behavior. I thought all boys by 9 were taught how to shake hands and look a man in the eye when introduced. She told me I would be surprised how 9 and 10 year old boys behave where she works.

It is nice that they don't think I am crazy anymore and that they realize the kids are thriving. MIL recently told me that FIL used to believe homeschooling was like a cult. Oh my!:tongue_smilie:

Edited by OpenMinded

It's just really nice to have that support. It's kinda hard and awkward with my inlaws, because they all disapprove of homeschooling.

That's all. Just wanted to share. :001_smile: Anyone else have parents/others who they appreciate for their homeschool support?

:001_smile:

My MIL (and FIL) are 100% behind us homeschooling. DSIL was homeschooled for a year and, if they had it to do over again, they would have homeschooled both kids.

My mother has more concerns (What do you do about high school labs?) but tries VERY hard. She likes everything to be as "normal" as possible.

As I care way to much about what my family thinks (and am working on it), I feel blessed I don't have to deal with what a lot of folks on here have to deal with.

I think it helps that I was a classroom teacher for 10 years and am full of lines like, "Do you KNOW how many odd children I've taught who were in daycare from birth?"

Edited by freesia

I have it pretty good. My parents are incredibly supportive of homeschooling. they pulled my younger sister from ps to hs her in grade 3 and she was homeschooled through the rest of school. My older brother married a woman who is the oldest of 7 hs children and they now hs their 5 kids, we hs ours, and my younger hs'd sister will be hs'ing in a few years when her babies are old enough! So I have a huge support team in my family.

Dh's dad was a ps teacher for 30 yrs and was very skeptical of hs'ing at first, they were a little annoying the first couple years when they would seemingly interrogate my ds about school. But now they see the benefits it is having in their beloved grand kids, plus they are hearing some of the things that are going in school with their grandchild who is ps, and it's really made them think. They love their grand kids to pieces and want what's best for them, seriously - don't mess with MIL's grand kids. Her sister (dh's aunt) did that a couple years ago- got all over me in front of my kids about how she would never hs and could never do that to a child, they would have no friends, etc, too dependent on mommy ("what if she dies?! The poor kids can't even tie their shoes w/o her!"), "you can't raise your kids in a box, they will be totally lost when they get to college"- just spouting nonsense at me. Before I could open my mouth my formerly on the fence MIL was going at her in defense of her grand kids, homeschooling, even me! It was awesome!

My dad gives me $300 for curriculum every spring for conference season, he insists on it! :). I am very blessed.