Menu

Field Guides for Western Eurpoe? (insects, wild flowers, etc)

In the Netherlands and in Flanders you have nature organisations, and they publish our fieldguides.

Here in Switzerland, this is true and you can find separate field guids.

So the organization 'Salamandre' has great little mini guides...

Then you can buy the

Carnets de nature by Milan

Then there is the much more serious (and expensive) series...

Les guides du naturaliste by delachaux et niestle

There are other series as well...but this is a little start..

If you go to the Pronatura center outside Yverdon, Champ Pittet you should find publications as well...

If you want them in English, we've gotten some from the UK...

HTH,

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

For the Salamandre...maybe it is not an association but just a magazine...

Then they have these mini-guides, but I don't know if they don't just send them to children who are subscribed to the magazine...

Anyway, here is the link for La Salamandre well La petite salamandre for children....

ETA - Ok, I've found the miniguides and they are not on the children's part of the site...go to http://www.salamandre.net and here is an example for butterflies.

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva

Monica - I can't help you with European field guides but I wanted to say: Are you following TWTM recommendations? It recommends children's field guides. I was upset about the price of them all but it turned out to be one of the best WTM investments we made! My son not only learned many plants and animals but he also learned to use an index, biology vocabulary, research skills, and it helped with is reading. These were one of the first learn-to-teach-yourself activity. For us, they were well worth the investment. Just wanted to offer some encouragement in case, like I was, you were upset at the price.

Nan

They ARE expensive, but I used to love using filed guides as a kid, and majored in physics with a concentration in biology, so we'll scrape together the money! It is a good point though to check out children's field guides. I might run down to the bookstore and see what they have, then order them off amazon.fr where they will be cheaper. :-)

For birds Princeton guides and Sasol guides are extremely good. They can be purchased from Amazon but they are not cheap.

My husband and son are bird watchers and whenever we go on vacation, these are the ones they purchase.

I know Peterson has guides for different European regions too.