Menu

Kids fundraising - any suggestions?

Hi,

I am looking for any advice from people whose children have done fundraising, or if you are experienced with it yourself.

My 7yo has decided that she wants to raise $5000 for a TEAR Village Package.

She is extremely keen to do this but the only experience she has is selling Girl Guide Biscuits, which is very different to raising a substantial amount of money. I am going to be her main helper, and we are starting at the beginning of August.

This is what we've brainstormed together so far:

(1) Set up a stall outside the local shops, with a lolly jar to entice people over and some information about the project, she can talk to people and ask for contributions.

(2) Lots and lots of door knocking (with me - obviously I'm not letting her do that on her own).

(3) Ask all the businesses in our area for contributions - she could write and draw a letter, drop them off and then phone or visit later on to follow up.

(4) Sausage sizzles outside the hardware store - these are very popular in our town and usually raise quite a bit of money. Maybe supermarket, bakery and/or butcher would donate the food.

(5) Try and get the local papers to run an article about the project.

I was also thinking of suggesting a fundraising concert, since I sing in a community choir that does service type stuff, like free concerts for nursing home residents. My daughter could make a short presentation telling the audience about the village we have been allocated and asking people to donate on their way out.

I would hugely appreciate any feedback on our ideas so far, and any more ideas you have about what does and doesn't work.

Any information and/or encouragement at all really, because as I said we're totally new to this.

Thanks if you can help!

Awesome project! What a wonderful goal to set and accomplish for such a young girl.

There is a local girl who raises money for cancer research by holding a yard/garage sale each year. It just keeps growing as local news coverage and word-of-mouth spreads. She raises thousands of dollars every year.

All the best to you and your dd!

My niece raises money for Haiti by selling cards with pictures she's taken on them, at a Saturday farmer's market. She's raised nearly $2000. Her mom buys the cardstock cards, she takes the photos and prints them out, and they sell for about $1.50 to $2.00 a card, I think. She works with Roald Dahl's daughter's charity, and even has received correspondance from her--pretty neat!

Just last week, she decided to play her violin for money at the market. She raised $85 in one (partial) day, enough to buy the Bitty Baby she's had her eye on! Same day, she sold over $100 in cards for Haiti.

She's 10.

Hi,

I am looking for any advice from people whose children have done fundraising, or if you are experienced with it yourself.

My 7yo has decided that she wants to raise $5000 for a TEAR Village Package.

She is extremely keen to do this but the only experience she has is selling Girl Guide Biscuits, which is very different to raising a substantial amount of money. I am going to be her main helper, and we are starting at the beginning of August.

This is what we've brainstormed together so far:

(1) Set up a stall outside the local shops, with a lolly jar to entice people over and some information about the project, she can talk to people and ask for contributions.

(2) Lots and lots of door knocking (with me - obviously I'm not letting her do that on her own).

(3) Ask all the businesses in our area for contributions - she could write and draw a letter, drop them off and then phone or visit later on to follow up.

(4) Sausage sizzles outside the hardware store - these are very popular in our town and usually raise quite a bit of money. Maybe supermarket, bakery and/or butcher would donate the food.

(5) Try and get the local papers to run an article about the project.

I was also thinking of suggesting a fundraising concert, since I sing in a community choir that does service type stuff, like free concerts for nursing home residents. My daughter could make a short presentation telling the audience about the village we have been allocated and asking people to donate on their way out.

I would hugely appreciate any feedback on our ideas so far, and any more ideas you have about what does and doesn't work.

Any information and/or encouragement at all really, because as I said we're totally new to this.

Thanks if you can help!

I think these are great ideas!

Well we phoned TEAR and got registered. The woman was quite encouraging and is going to send out a pack of stuff like official receipts so donations will be tax deductible, and posters. I'm quite excited now! I just need to resist the urge to completely take over, and make sure I let my daughter do most of it herself.