Menu

Lial's BCM: what all do I need?

I have the main book, but I began reading through and realized there is no "teaching" within it. Is there a teacher's manual? Is there anything else I can/should get to go with it?

ETA: Also, would 5th grade math level be an appropriate place to begin this? At what point do most folks do Lial's BCM?

Edited by Annabel Lee

The included teaching is the main draw to the Lial texts-- the WHOLE lesson is presented in the student text--we are talking PAGES of examples before the problem sets.

What is the ISBN of the text you have?

I do not like to start students in BCM until 6th or 7th grade-- it is even better if it is used to 're-mediate' an older student who is behind.

It can work for younger students with a bit of modification. After each teaching example work the practice problems at the side of the page. If those are worked correctly then work the ODD practice problems that go with that teaching example from the lesson set. Repeat with the remaining teaching examples.

Work ALL problems from the chapter review-- making sure there is mastery BEFORE the test.

For younger students I highly recommend they work Lial Pre-Algebra to cement the basics and to get a nice introduction to basic Algebra-- for older students with more 'natural logic' going right into Algebra 1 is fine.

I'm using the 7th edition of BCM with my online classes this fall. the isbn is 0321257804 it is one of the older editions, but there are only minor differences.

The teacher's edition is the SAME text (word for word) but has all of the answers filled in WITH the problems.

The ISBNs are 9780321257802 and 0-321-25780-4 (both of these are on the same book). It says seventh edition on the front, but I'm unsure what part of the program it is... I thought it was the student textbook, but it has beige sidebars with answers. I think by your statements above, this is the student textbook; am I right?

I looked through it after reading your post, and see what you mean about the examples doing the teaching. I've gotten so used to scripted TMs that I couldn't decipher how I would present the material when I first flipped through it.

The child I'm looking at this for is going into 6th grade per age-grade level (11 yrs old, turning 12 before end of traditional school year). In math though, dc is finishing up 4th gr. Abeka/Horizons mix with SM CWP. Do you think BCM could be used to catch up faster? Many of the concepts in BCM would be new to him. ETA: I'm looking for clarification on whether my situation fits what you said about it being used for remediation.

Thank you for the help.

Edited by Annabel Lee

Not Jann, but I think, if my memory is right, BCM does have answers in the beige sidebar for the example problems. For the actual practice problems, the answers are in the back. I'm not sure about whether it is a good idea for your Ds. I'm not familiar enough witht he math programs you were using. My Ds used it after completing BJU Math 5 and Teaching Textbooks 7 and it was a perfect fit for him. Math is not his strength. He has to work at it and does not really like it---at least not like he likes history. He ended up with a high B in BCM. My Ds did not use BCM for remediation. It was what we considered his Pre-Algebra. Hopefully Jann will check back and offer her thoughts.

The ISBNs are 9780321257802 and 0-321-25780-4 (both of these are on the same book). It says seventh edition on the front, but I'm unsure what part of the program it is... I thought it was the student textbook, but it has beige sidebars with answers. I think by your statements above, this is the student textbook; am I right?

I looked through it after reading your post, and see what you mean about the examples doing the teaching. I've gotten so used to scripted TMs that I couldn't decipher how I would present the material when I first flipped through it.

The child I'm looking at this for is going into 6th grade per age-grade level (11 yrs old, turning 12 before end of traditional school year). In math though, dc is finishing up 4th gr. Abeka/Horizons mix with SM CWP. Do you think BCM could be used to catch up faster? Many of the concepts in BCM would be new to him. ETA: I'm looking for clarification on whether my situation fits what you said about it being used for remediation.

Thank you for the help.

I'm not Jann, but I own BCM and have had a DC use it. Those side bars are to be done as you work through the teaching part of the lesson. You work through the lesson in the main part of the page, then break out to the problems on the side as directed to use what you just read about. Yes, the answers are underneath. I wouldn't accept my ds's pages unless he could show me every ounce of work that led to that answer, because he is the the type to smack the answers down, then wonder why he flops the reviews. :tongue_smilie: At the end of a section like that is a couple/few pages of review problems without that mini answer key. (The odds or evens are actually in the very back of the book. I forget which at the moment.)

We generally broke one lesson up into two days. The first day they'd complete the margin exercises and 1/3 of the review; the next day they'd do the last 2/3 of the review.

I prefer the solutions manual over the TE. The solutions manual has full solutions of odds and evens, as well as the the margin problems. The TE is just an answer key.

BCM was written for remedial college age students who couldn't place into algebra. It shores up basic math and gets it solid so they can move ahead to algebra. I wouldn't replace a 5th grade text with it. Think of it as prealgebra.

BCM was written for remedial college age students who couldn't place into algebra. It shores up basic math and gets it solid so they can move ahead to algebra. I wouldn't replace a 5th grade text with it. Think of it as prealgebra.

:iagree:

I'm not Jann either, but I have BCM and tried i with ds in 7th. It is an adult book. The examples, word problems and language are geared toward young adults. I liked it, but neither of my kids did.

It sounds like your child needs 5th grade math, not pre-algebra. BCM is not a replacement for math. If he needs to catch up, do math twice a day and see if you can move him through 5th grade more quickly and then go on to 6th. There are no shortcuts for learning math. The biggest math mistake you can make (IMHO) is letting a child get through basic arithmetic without a thorough grasp and understanding of the subject. It will haunt them FOREVER.

Don't panic that he is behind and don't look for shortcuts. Just work diligently. You have time.

I like to have the student book, teacher's edition, and solution key.

Student text for student

Teacher's edition so I have my own copy of the book while teaching a lesson

Soution manual so my student can see where they went wrong.

As for teaching:

Day 1 - we go over the lesson together. After we are done going over the esson my student completes the sidebar problems

Day 2 - my student is assigned the odd problems to complete on his own. He is allowed to use the solution manual as he works through the problems to make sure he is understanding how to work through the problems. There is nothing worse thn getting through a whole lesson and realizing ou did this all wrong.

This continues for the whole chapter.

When we get to he chapter review I give my students 3 days to complete ALL the problems.

The next day is test day.

Then I schedule two days for the cumulative review. If there was a specific topic on the test he seemed to have problems with, we use at least one of those days to go back over the material.

Thank you all. I wasn't looking to skip entire levels of math; I wondered if this would meet him where he's at and move him forward more efficiently. Knowing now that it's used as Pre-Alg. answers that question - nope, he's not ready for that.

Momto2Ns, you are spot on - you must be able to sense my panic. I know math has to be taken step-by-step in sequence, but I was hoping this might be a "bridge" of sorts from where he's at to where he should be by the end of this year. I didn't realize it is pre-algebra. Looks like I'm back to square one, which is doubling up on math and not making him do anything unnecessary or redundant.

Thanks again; this helps me finish up my planning.