Menu

MFW AHL users?

yes.. there were answer keys for most things. and I used them. I didn't keep up with all reading.

Taking OT Challenge - no answers. That is on purpose so that it isn't about what some author thinks on it.. but what you and your student thinks.

-crystal

I'm a bit of an MFW junkie... started using their stuff in 2003 and still using it. My oldest has done AHL and WHL, and ready to start US1 next week. so.. yeah.. I'm happy with it. it's been a good fit for us for years. She likes it. Even when it's been books that she didn't enjoy (WHL, Pride and Prejudice, she took it all ok.. ugh. I have to do this for school... well.. ok.. my other friends have books they "have" to do.)

My middle daughter - I plan to try to use AHL. I'm a little nervous about how to adjust for her (mild learning differences), but she says "I think I'll enjoy some longer books. I'm getting older now." how sweet of her.... She seems excited that in 9th grade, she'll get to read the entire old testament. She'd been doing overview this year with a 31 week study at our church. (The Story) so she's looking forward to that. She's going into 8th grade soon.

I've liked that with answer keys and online things like spark notes, I haven't "had" to read everything. I've like the grading guidelines. My husband agreed with helping on stuff that I just didn't feel like I could do a good job on (like helping to improve an essay or edit it).

-crystal

I'm a bit of an MFW junkie

Sorry...just have to :lol:. I saw the OPs question about whether you would use it again and thought to myself, "Somebody's asking Crystal if she'd use MFW again? HAH!" Anyway, back to the OP...we used AHL last year. Dd liked it...she loved the indepenence, the way the Guide was written to her and I loved how I could just sort of let her go and check in every now and again (we did more than just Friday check ins after I discovered that dd was falling a bit behind and "forgetting" assignments. :glare:). It is a solid program. I had planned to use it with my ds14 next year for 9th, but decided to go another route and revisit AHL with him in 11th. At that point, he will likely "share" it with his brother who will be in 9th. I'm looking forward to that actually. That's still 2 years away and people who know me know that I suffer from BPCD (Bipolar Curriculum Disorder). :tongue_smilie: So, we'll see what happens in 2 years. :D

Ladies,

Thanks for sharing and Sue thank you for putting a name to the disorder I think I may share with you! I was in love with Veritas till I found SCM, in love with that and now being wooed by MFW AHL!

It sounds so well put together and complete and I like that it is preparing the child to be more independant.....

It just bugs me that if I do it, it would be the first time we would not all be together an history. (Although we could still be on the same time period just different curriculums)

I still feel like I need more info on how MFW ahl would impact our family. She is the oldest of 7 and it has so many hours of independant work. Will she ever be able to help around the house again?:lol:

JFB

I still feel like I need more info on how MFW ahl would impact our family. She is the oldest of 7 and it has so many hours of independant work. Will she ever be able to help around the house again?:lol:

JFB

I just left more info on mfw board with that post.... but.. I just want to say that my oldest daughter is not shipped off to Siberia to do school work all day. She is in and out... .cooks once in a while. or babysits youngest for an hour while I go to my part time job.

I know Sue's experience with keeping them together in history is very different from my story. In my family.. it was just fine to not be in the same history books. Oldest didn't feel left out.. she could come and help with the fun stuff. Then in WHL and EX1850, I was surprised at how the 2nd semester they were matching up in topics a lot. surprised me! but it worked fine. They liked being connected on current events, church, family, play time, and laundry wars as we call it. (that's where they do laundry together and shake the clothes out like a pillow fight. good for those 5 minute breaks between high school readings.)

They do grow up and things can change. just wait.... before you know it.. they have a driver's license and get to drive little sis to church stuff and ballet.

I'm not sure what kind of impact information you are looking for. I know that my oldest was inspired to take a short terms missions trip to Mexico to serve some missionaries from our church. (dad went with her) She's been inspired to be part of everything going on at church, and serve in community. Still has time for archery. and still does the dishes, and plays with youngest sibling. I've enjoyed watching how she will tell youngest "I have to do school for 20 more minutes... you set the timer and come get me. then we can play chase and and tickle!" and sometimes, I've watched as youngest will get a picture book and sit in oldest's room and they read different books together while that timing counts down.

on mfw post.. I had the question of what are the other children doing? if you'd prefer to answer that over here.. I understand.. the reason I was asking was more about looking at ways to let their days connect. Sounds like younger crowd will have some kind of ancients... I don't know if it's MFW's CTG or not. One idea is to have them all work together on building tabernacle (and enjoy the info and pictures in AHL on that, but the hands on from CTG). I gave ideas on if it were ECC and AHL...

Overall... I've been really happy that we did AHL and WHL. I got to transition from having them all together in school.. and wean from my need for that. I know in other families.... the children really need to do school together and it pans out differently. I've seen how my oldest has to connect in other ways to family, and her friends (we're the only ones we know in real life doing MFW high school.)

-crystal