Menu

Determined to not slack on Spanish this year! Any program/curriculum suggestions?

JulieE

We really enjoyed La Clase Divertida with those sorts of ages. Level 1 is pretty gentle. Lots of songs and review. I liked having the crafts, map, etc. ready to go in the kit. We watched a DVD lesson three times a week and listened to the CD twice a week when we drove on errands somewhere. You'd be surprised at how much a five year old can pick up.

Erica in OR

My kids are slightly younger, but we used Salsa Spanish, free and available here, last year and are using it this year as a supplement. I wanted something more in depth for my K'er and we now use Elementary Spanish available on Discovery Streaming. Besides being a booger to navigate, I like the program and it is free for us, because of DH's job. The kids love the little activities, and even my 3 yo goes around speaking small phrases in Spanish. It might be too kiddie for your older one, but we love it, and most importantly, it gets done. I log on, play the video 3x, watch Salsa episode 2x a week, and once a week do an activity sheet. They watch during lunch. Maybe not the best idea, but I finally get some quiet! :D

I'm sorry this is so long. Hopefully there is something of value in here!

Here are some games you can play:

1) Play Uno in Spanish. They will learn a few colors and become proficient in the numbers. If you really want to take it up a notch, learn the words/phrases for "reverse, draw 2...."

What other common games can you play with a modified amount of Spanish?

2) Play Candyland or bingo. Again...colors and higher numbers.

3) Make flashcards using clipart and cardstock for different items in your house. Make one card with a picture of the item, one card with the Spanish word, and one card with the English word. Do one room at a time.

For example: Bedroom

blanket

bed

pillow

teddy bear

doll

window

door

dresser

closet

rug

blah blah blah

**I get many of my words from Usborne "First 100 Words in Spanish" and "First Thousand Words in Spanish." If you don't own them, your library may have them.

Give child(ren) the flash cards and send them on a "scavenger hunt" to put the right card in the right location. El tocador should be on the dresser. El osito de peluche should be with the teddy bear. As you collect/check the cards, the child must pronounce the word for you.

4) Use these cards for other games like:

a) Memory -- if you have the clipart card and a spanish word card, have all cards RIGHT SIDE UP, and the kids must match them. For your 5yo, help her with all reading.

b) "Which Word" --(This is a good way to learn new words) -- put out 3 cards, face up. Ask "Which word is the word for window?" When child answers correctly, remove "la ventana" and replace it with the next word on the stack. "Which word is the word for bed?" When child answers correctly, remove "la cama" and replace it with the next word on the stack.

c) Word Bingo -- Print off 5x5 grids on 8"x11" paper. Choose 25 words; you could choose your "bedroom words" above. Have children write the words in a mixed up order, one in each square. (Help the 5yo with the writing.) Each sheet should be different. Now play bingo using the picture cards or speaking the English translation. "Spanish phrase for 'I like,'" or "Spanish word for 'She wants.'"

Have rewards for the winners of lollypops or other treats, the chance to "pick what we have for lunch today: mac and cheese or tomato soup," or "get out of practicing piano for one day with no nagging from mom card."

d) Pick nearly any board game you have, and pull out just the board and markers. Consider Candyland. Put your flashcards face down in a draw pile. When it is your turn, pick a card.

If card is a picture, player says Spanish word if they know it, and player can move X number of predetermined spaces. If player does not know word, have group help him (remember we are ALL learning here, and we are family and need to support each other in new things!!!), and player can only go Y number of spaces. (Y is less than X). Mom automatically takes the lesser number of spaces.

If card is a Spanish written word, player must read word and tell the translation for X number of predetermined spaces. If player needs help with translation, they only get to go Y number of spaces. Mom automatically takes the lesser number of spaces.

If card is an English word, player translates to Spanish, and can go X number of spaces. If player needs help, they can go Y number of spaces.

Mom automatically takes the lesser number of spaces.

Other details:

Values for X and Y depend upon what you think is fair. You could also use 2 dice to roll for each turn. The higher number is automatically X and the lower number is automatically Y.

If the Candyland board is too long for your children's attention span, make it clear that you are only going to play until you get to the lollypop forest. Or if you use a circular board like Monopoly, set a timer for 15minutes and see how far you get.

5) Do your kids receive any magazines? Sometimes there are silly little games in the back that can be modified to teach Spanish vocabulary. You could expropriate the games in the name of bilingualism.

I know we have one little game with hats and mittens and scarves to be matched (colors and new winter vocabulary!). We have another one with a birthday cake and candles and hats and little animal guests (counting and birthday vocabulary).

You could also raid the library's stack of old magazines with a pocket of quarters to copy the games. Look for High 5, Ladybug, and Click.

***High 5 has a bilingual story every month.***

6) Do your children have little plastic animals? We have a giganto bin of them: elephants, donkeys, whales.....

Pull them out and name them. Put them in a pillow case and pass it around with everyone pulling out one and naming it. See who can name 5. 10. The most.

7) Do your children eat lunch?:D Make a list of the common foods you eat for lunch: sandwiches, soup, noodles, cheese, milk, juice, apples, grapes, etc. Put it in a plastic sleeve and post it near the lunch table. See who can list what is on their plate. Use words like "Quiero mas jugo por favor." (I want more juice, please.)

***Please don't skewer me for my poor Spanish grammar! I'm trying!!!***

"Me gusta fruitas!!!" (I like fruit)."No me gusta el brecol!" (I don't like broccoli)....well, your kids would never use that phrase, of course.....

8)We are going to try Visual Link Spanish this fall. The first lessons are very appropriate because they talk about going to the park, the movies, to work, to the bathroom. The second set may not be as applicable because it is about travel and business, but we'll worry about that when we get there.

There are 10 or 11 free lessons to sample the software.

Check out the blog. Yes. Spanish Dave. Indeed!

There always seems to be a sale going on, so don't feel you need to be in a hurry to buy right now today. However, the actual software is way cooler than the free lessons.

My kids are slightly younger, but we used Salsa Spanish, free and available here, last year and are using it this year as a supplement. I wanted something more in depth for my K'er and we now use Elementary Spanish available on Discovery Streaming. Besides being a booger to navigate, I like the program and it is free for us, because of DH's job. The kids love the little activities, and even my 3 yo goes around speaking small phrases in Spanish. It might be too kiddie for your older one, but we love it, and most importantly, it gets done. I log on, play the video 3x, watch Salsa episode 2x a week, and once a week do an activity sheet. They watch during lunch. Maybe not the best idea, but I finally get some quiet! :D

We are using the same for my youngest, 1st grade. Here is a link for the Discovery Education that may help with finding the episodes:

http://satorismiles.com/resources/discovery-education-streaming/elementary-spanish-schedule/

I'm sorry this is so long. Hopefully there is something of value in here!

Wow, these were all great ideas! Thank you. I copied the whole list into a word document.

We're starting Spanish when we get back into school using the free videos here, and The Complete Book of Spanish. Most of our dvd's have an option to watch in Spanish and I plan to do that for some of their favorites. We also have Spanish television channels so can watch a lot of PBS shows in Spanish.

We are using the same for my youngest, 1st grade. Here is a link for the Discovery Education that may help with finding the episodes:

http://satorismiles.com/resources/di...nish-schedule/

Wow, I love her blog! She is so great to share all of her hard work with us, she has some fantastic organizing skills! Hope she is well, haven't seen her around in a while...

Oh! Another idea!

If you need a day off (or a period of time while you clean up what the dog threw up), put on your kids' favorite Disney animated film, but set the Spanish language option. The kids already know the storyline anyway.

The kids can watch Aladdin, and you can say that you did over an hour of Spanish!!!

I started a new thread with this question: How do I log in to discovery education? Thanks!

THANKS for all the ideas! I am also going to copy & paste to put in my idea binder. I think I will start with the videos and free resources, then check out La Clase Divertida in the next couple months after we've paid off bills.