Menu

Anyone with an autoimmune disease?

How did you get your diagnosis, and how long did it take? It took a few years just to find a Dr. who would listen. I need an answer yesterday. I'm concerned that whatever is going on is going untreated, plus it would help to have something to tell people when I can't do so many things. I really have no explanation and pretty much keep it to myself. This summer has been horrible with the heat, I feel so guilty that I am unable to take the kids swimming, etc... I had a year when I felt wonderful - back to my old self, it was great, and then everything crept back up on me and I just hate this so much. The only test that has shown anything so far is the ANA, but it was a low positive and all else was normal - arrgh! I wish the Dr. could just climb inside my body for 24hrs, that's the only way they will ever really understand. :confused:

I do... I have hashimoto's, pcos, fibromyalgia and they cause all kinds of crazy. Basically dr. Just throws a synthroid at me....and I do take Metformin for the IR related to pcos.

Auto immune sucks!

Basically, I keep my diet very clean....and exercise especially when I don't want to or think I can't. I will never give in! Ever!

Thank you both for your replies. Exercise just makes me so sick, I really wish I could do more. I have such horrible fatigue, and I get weakness on one side with too much activity. When I try to exercise or even clean house, I get flu-like symptoms and weakness, it's horrible. My dr has given me steroids which do help for a while, but it all eventually comes back.

I would go to a naturopathic doctor. Many insurance companies will cover them. A naturopathic doctor will look for the cause rather than just treating the symptoms. I have had wonderful results from being treated for various vitamin and mineral deficiencies (vitamin D and magnesium being the most dramatic) and being treated for parasites. Your causes may vary greatly from mine but I would still encourage you to go to a naturopath.

So sorry to hear about what you're going through. Autoimmune diseases can be difficult to diagnose. My journey began with Hashimotos. That was 8 years ago and at this point my thyroid doesn't function...I rely on synthroid. Two years after that, I was diagnosed with Systemic Lupus and Fibromyalgia. It didn't take long to get this diagnosis as I had pretty serious renal involvement.....labs alone were enough to diagnose the SLE. About one year ago, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, too. My rheumy says that autoimmune diseases like to come in pairs...and in my case triples.

I wouldn't worry yet about being untreated. To be honest...depending on the disease, treatment often treats symptoms and not necessarily the disease itself....and sometimes it isn't "bad enough"...my doctors words...not mine... to be treated. I went for 1 1/2 years where I didn't need any steroids or immunosuppressants at all. Sadly, things didn't stay that way. I guess what I mean to say is....it will show up in a little....just be persistent in seeking care. I saw a few doctors before my SLE diagnosis....and was told it was "all in my head"...until one day I finally found a doctor that pretty much diagnosed on the spot and confirmed with labs. I know it's frustrating...don't give up though. You know your body best.

What does your doctor suspect disease wise at this point?

Any chance you're in/near SW Virginia? I'm not perfect by ANY stretch, but that doctor there gave me my life back. When I got to him, I couldn't walk, look side to side or up, stand long enough to shower or fix supper, drive, etc. All that changed within ONE visit (though it took longer than that to stick).

Anyway, I am one with multiple dxes, knowing that the chances that there isn't an umbrella dx that they'd all fall under is slim. My endo agrees with me. My rheumy feels for me. My neuro made a stupid joke about "practicing medicine." In the end, I just have to live day to day. Thankfully, I *can* now.

If I fell into some money, I'd be taking a month trip back to Big Stone Gap, VA to see if Dr. Dalton could help me further (We were only in the area a short time so I got 4 sessions with him before we came back to Texas).

Anyway, sorry for your issues. A LOT of people wait *years* for a diagnosis (and/or the dxes change). It stinks. Royally. And fortunately for you, you're in good company if that helps at all.

BTW, please remember that NO parent can do all they want with their children. It just isn't possible. I wish I could accept that fact a little better myself.

My DH has Ulcerative Colitis. He has been going through a really bad flare-up since Feb. I have done a lot of research on this in hopes to understand it better. I do my best to be supportive. Somedays are hard, I can't even imagine being in his shoes. He still works everyday and supports us, I don't know how he does it. He was diagnosed fairly quickly, went into remission for 5 yrs, and now it's back with a vengeance. I hope you have support and people to talk to with the similar issue. :grouphug:

So sorry to hear about what you're going through. Autoimmune diseases can be difficult to diagnose. My journey began with Hashimotos. That was 8 years ago and at this point my thyroid doesn't function...I rely on synthroid. Two years after that, I was diagnosed with Systemic Lupus and Fibromyalgia. It didn't take long to get this diagnosis as I had pretty serious renal involvement.....labs alone were enough to diagnose the SLE. About one year ago, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, too. My rheumy says that autoimmune diseases like to come in pairs...and in my case triples.

I wouldn't worry yet about being untreated. To be honest...depending on the disease, treatment often treats symptoms and not necessarily the disease itself....and sometimes it isn't "bad enough"...my doctors words...not mine... to be treated. I went for 1 1/2 years where I didn't need any steroids or immunosuppressants at all. Sadly, things didn't stay that way. I guess what I mean to say is....it will show up in a little....just be persistent in seeking care. I saw a few doctors before my SLE diagnosis....and was told it was "all in my head"...until one day I finally found a doctor that pretty much diagnosed on the spot and confirmed with labs. I know it's frustrating...don't give up though. You know your body best.

What does your doctor suspect disease wise at this point?

I had one doc that wouldn't even talk to me until I agreed to see a counselor. Well, I refused and moved on. Thanks for the advice. I will hang in there.