Menu

Apologia Chemistry

We found it to be quite a challenging course. My son worked on it for several years, actually, lol.

Chemistry is not like Biology. Each chapter builds on the previous ones, so it is important to master the information as you go. My son started well, but then got to Module 9 or so and really couldn't move on. We had to start the course again. He also wasn't as strong in math as he needed to be. It turned out to be a great experience for him, though, specifically because it was hard!

Blessings,

We only recently started it. Did the chapter 3 test last week. A good knowledge of algebra is essential. Algebra 1 is a prerequisite. It requires the ability to solve equations. Sometimes they have to do several conversions to make the answer be in grams etc. The explanations are good and we like it. So far my son likes it far better than apologia biology-- no huge amount of memorization required. It is more understanding concepts and applying them.

Oldest used it said the reading was fine but the experiments were "dorkey". He did enjoy the micro chem kit they suggest using.

For my current HS son we are taking a different approach to chemistry (not really approved by this board, but I dare to live dangerously). We are working on Chemistry over 2 years. This year he is reading Real Science 4 Kids level 2 and some biographies of chemists. Next year working with the Micro Chem kit and more reading on the advancement of chemistry.

Everyone's experience is different. We found the explanations really good--even I finally got balancing equations! LOL--But, we found the experiments to be more like Jr Hi level. In fact, my kids commented that they had already done several of them in public school middle school. They do illustrate the concepts, tho. Yes, I agree that the math required Algebra i, but ds wasn't that strong in Algebra, and did very well. I just don't think it's that hard. Overall, to us, it was Chem Lite. That's just what ds needed, so it was ok for us. For my other son, it would have been too easy.

I taught a small group of kids using Apologia Chemistry in my home this past year. The kids who had a difficult time struggled with basic Algebra; I would really encourage a good Algebra 1 background. If money is available, I found the Red Wagon tutorials a useful supplement. The course is very doable at home, but Chemistry is not an easy course. Your son will need to be motivated to work at it and stay on top of the material. It is true that it builds, and you should not move on until you've mastered a chapter - otherwise it will bite you later. I like the Apologia curriculum, but I don't think any high school Chemistry curriculum would be considered easy by most students.

I would say Apologia Chemistry is very doable at home--it's designed to be. Both my dc did it at home without undue difficulty. You do need a solid Algebra I background, but that's a prerequisite for just about any high school chemisry course--there's a lot of math involved. We found Apologia challenging--in a good way--and thought it was an excellent first high school chemistry course. Dd went on to do AP Chem a couple years later and felt well-prepared.

The Apologia experiments are more like demonstrations, but... in the home environment they pretty much have to be, and we were okay with that. You could always do the Microchem kit (which is what dd's AP Chem course used) if you wanted more. Anyway, we found the Apologia labs to be very doable, and we figured the exposure to procedures, careful measuring and doing lab writeups etc. was the value at that point. The supplemental CD-ROM had demonstrations of more dangerous experiments, and there is also a wealth of sites on the internet (which you can access from Apologia's website once you've purchased the textbook) where you can observe real chemistry in action. We figured real experimentation can come later, in college, in a real chem lab.

I would say Apologia Chemistry is very doable at home--it's designed to be. Both my dc did it at home without undue difficulty. You do need a solid Algebra I background, but that's a prerequisite for just about any high school chemisry course--there's a lot of math involved. We found Apologia challenging--in a good way--and thought it was an excellent first high school chemistry course. Dd went on to do AP Chem a couple years later and felt well-prepared.

The Apologia experiments are more like demonstrations, but... in the home environment they pretty much have to be, and we were okay with that. You could always do the Microchem kit (which is what dd's AP Chem course used) if you wanted more. Anyway, we found the Apologia labs to be very doable, and we figured the exposure to procedures, careful measuring and doing lab writeups etc. was the value at that point. The supplemental CD-ROM had demonstrations of more dangerous experiments, and there is also a wealth of sites on the internet (which you can access from Apologia's website once you've purchased the textbook) where you can observe real chemistry in action. We figured real experimentation can come later, in college, in a real chem lab.

This was also my son's experience with Apologia Chemistry. He just finished his year of chemistry in college with a solid A, crediting Apologia Chemistry for keeping his interest in science. :D (He's a nursing major.)