Menu

Aother hemp seed question

My hemp Seeds came today. They are OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive and I am going to see about the bird food store supply. In the meantime, the $34 3# bag I apparently ordered are SHELLED. I am so disappointed! I didn't mean to order shelled. I know with grains, any breakdown of the grain will cause spoilage, which is why for fresh grains, I grind or roll my own. Does anyone know if shelled hemp seeds have the same issue? Shelling is basically processing, right? I'm SO disappointed!!!

I ordered seeds to consume. (organic) I ordered shelled but not ground. I wouldn't think that the seed being off would be bad... just the grinding... I'll be interested in hearing about this. I am doing it with Nutella (and organic "nutella" when I have it... ) A Rudi's english muffin (5 grams of protein) Nutella (3 grams of protein) and 3 TBS of ground hemp seed. )11 grams of protein) YAY.... Then I feed my son 1 cup of Wallaby's organic yogurt with some agave. (23 grams of protein)

I'm doing this because his Dr mentioned that we might need to do Pediasure because of a 4lbs weight loss :( (He's not even 60lbs and he's 9yrs old) So, I figure that the 40 grams of protein is great. I also don't feed him the English Muffin till night because Hemp is filling... so I want him to eat plenty during the day.

What made you think of ordering Hemp seed??

Dd12 has a protein deficiency. ThNk you for telling me it is filling because I was planning on giving it to her for breakfast, likely in yogurt of a shake. She has also had issues gaining weight. I have been concerned about her kack of weight gain, coupked with an insatiable appetite, for years. Now that she is almost a teen, three separate doctors are questioning anorexia and bulimia. Um...... No. What's really odd is that her appetite is about 1/4-1/3 of it used to be, and suddenly she gains 10 lbs in three months:confused::confused::confused: doctors don't know what to do with her.

She was recently disgnosed with Lymes and I am hoping with treatment all her weird symptoms will go away.

After doing some limited research I could find NOTHING about nutrient breakdown from hulled hemp seeds. It is a SEED and not a GRAIN, maybe that's why?

I was thrilled to find larger sacks of hemp seeds, shells on, for a fraction of the price. Te problem is that they all have to be irradiated (sterilized) so that nobody can sprout the seeds and grow marijuana.

At $34 for three lbs of hemo seeds, hulled, by Nutiva - a company who does NOT irradiate, it is a costly superfood! It is recommended that people without health problems have four heaping tbsp her day, 5-6 with health problems. Yikes! I'm going to try them today. I am glad they supposedly decrease appetite, speed metabolism and aid in weighloss FOR ME, but I originally bought these for dd12 due to her protein deficiency. She can NOT afford to have anything which will decrease appetite or speed metabolism. I will have to time when she eats this, hopefully after dinner.

I was thrilled to find larger sacks of hemp seeds, shells on, for a fraction of the price. Te problem is that they all have to be irradiated (sterilized) so that nobody can sprout the seeds and grow marijuana.

Well shoot! :lol:

I would probably go for the less expensive ones, but I don't know very much about hemp seed. I know hemp milk is not the greatest tasting stuff.

Denise :)

Since it's filling, it's absolutely perfect for at night. By in the morning you're fine :) Also, seriously try to find the Wallaby's Organic Greek Yogurt. It has to be the Greek one :) Between the 3TBS of Hemp seed at night and the Greek Yogurt on something like the English Muffin....you'll be at about 40grams of protein.

I am curious how much protein you're aiming for. :) The (ground) Hemp seed could easily be mixed with peanut butter. That's what I'd use except for I don't like to think of cross contamination, because of my daughter being allergic to peanuts.

:)