Menu

Now let's talk Kindergarten math...

I have Saxon K but really, it isn't what I want to use. I got it out and it just depresses me. I have the blocks for MUS (ds uses MUS) but I don't think that dd will respond as well to it. But I have considered using primer for her next year just because I already have the blocks.

Someone mentioned Right Start. That looks good, and interesting, and fun. Dd loves things that are bright, interesting, and most of all fun. The price isn't bad either. A friend is really pushing Singapore even though she hasn't used it lol.

Dd can currently count by rote to twenty, identify some numbers, and do some 1-1 correspondence. She knows most basic shapes and all colors. Concepts such as longest and smallest are emerging. She loves workbooky kinds of things but isn't not writing numbers consistently yet.

Again, we do anticipate learning issues based on previous history. I don't want to do tons of curriculum jumping if I can avoid it. I need something that after initial set up, I can pretty much open and go because it is all planned. I can adapt and modify, but I don't want to recreate the wheel. She currently receives 8 hrs of therapy a week spread over 3 days so I only plan on doing reading, math, HWT, and occassional science and social studies.

Thanks! It really helps having someone else to talk about what they have used.

I did RSM B for Kindergarten. I liked it. It is totally open and go. It does use a lot of manipulatives. The only thing about making it completely open and go is that you will have to photocopy some items from the Appendix and maybe do some cutting, laminating (optional) if you want so you have those items ready to go for each lesson. It has sheets to practice writing the numbers which you can photocopy multiples of or laminate or just put in a sheet protector and use over and over. I think using the abacus, makes kids feel pretty important about learning math too.

I did RSM B for Kindergarten. I liked it. It is totally open and go. It does use a lot of manipulatives. The only thing about making it completely open and go is that you will have to photocopy some items from the Appendix and maybe do some cutting, laminating (optional) if you want so you have those items ready to go for each lesson. It has sheets to practice writing the numbers which you can photocopy multiples of or laminate or just put in a sheet protector and use over and over. I think using the abacus, makes kids feel pretty important about learning math too.

I think RS could be a good fit too, but with what you have said, I would go with A rather than B. I have a fast processing child and a slow processing child and my slow processor did well with A, but would have died in B for K.

We use MUS and are really happy with it. We plan to continue. I did however recently buy the Right Start card games kit, and it's been great. We do the MUS lessons and use the games for more variety in practicing. The games have gone over so much better than drill-type web sites.

The other thing we are using is Addition the Fun Way by City Creek Press. Can't say enough good things about it. We have the book and audio CD and listen to the audio in the car a lot. I admit I was skeptical, but when DS can't remember a math fact, he can remember the story and get the answer.

Why? Curious minds want to know.

Because I've set a block on my browser so I only get 60 minutes a day and have to be really concise. :D

Seriously, BJU is solid, has everything there conceptually (at least good enough), is colorful, appeals to multiple modalities. Did I mention the multiple modalities? It's a starting point. Ok, go MUS. I understand some programs are a bit more focused conceptually, but you can add those things on easily. You've been through this befoe. You just need a starting point. Sometimes with a girl color, stories, cute manipulatives, these things become very important. At least that's what happened to us. After several levels of RS, we went to BJU for all those reasons.

Because I've set a block on my browser so I only get 60 minutes a day and have to be really concise. :D

Seriously, BJU is solid, has everything there conceptually (at least good enough), is colorful, appeals to multiple modalities. Did I mention the multiple modalities? It's a starting point. Ok, go MUS. I understand some programs are a bit more focused conceptually, but you can add those things on easily. You've been through this befoe. You just need a starting point. Sometimes with a girl color, stories, cute manipulatives, these things become very important. At least that's what happened to us. After several levels of RS, we went to BJU for all those reasons.

OK, that makes sense. I used BJU from 2-5th with my son and am taking him back to MUS. I will look more closely at the K5 book for her. I liked BJU but it just wasn't right for him, he didn't ever get to mastery. And you are right, color, cute stories, and cute manipulatives are important to my girl. Last night as I was planning, she called ds's MUS books 'ugly books' because they are b/w.

Dobela,

Given that your DD has a developmental coordination disorder, this rather raises a question about her 'sense of number'?

So what I would ask, is if you show her 2 or 3 or 4 objects, close to each other.

Can she immediately recognise them as groups of 2 or 3 or 4 objects?

Where if you try that yourself, you will probably instantly know their are 2,3 or 4 objects.

Where number sense, is the ability to automatically recognize these different sized groups.

Which we learn the names and symbols for.

These groups are formed in the mind with Spatial thinking, which spatially links them together.

But with Spatial thinking difficulties, these groups aren't formed in the mind.

So that 2 isn't concieved of as a group, but as the name of an object, next to the object named 1.

Where numbers are rote learned, in the same way as we rote learn the alphabet.

So that 2+3=5, makes no more sense than B+C=E ?

Where Spatial thinking is to numbers, what Sound is to letters.

So given that your daughter has DCD, the first question is whether she recognizes 2 as a group, or the name of the object next to the object called 1 ?

Dobela,

Given that your DD has a developmental coordination disorder, this rather raises a question about her 'sense of number'?

So what I would ask, is if you show her 2 or 3 or 4 objects, close to each other.

Can she immediately recognise them as groups of 2 or 3 or 4 objects?

Where if you try that yourself, you will probably instantly know their are 2,3 or 4 objects.

Where number sense, is the ability to automatically recognize these different sized groups.

Which we learn the names and symbols for.

These groups are formed in the mind with Spatial thinking, which spatially links them together.

But with Spatial thinking difficulties, these groups aren't formed in the mind.

So that 2 isn't concieved of as a group, but as the name of an object, next to the object named 1.

Where numbers are rote learned, in the same way as we rote learn the alphabet.

So that 2+3=5, makes no more sense than B+C=E ?

Where Spatial thinking is to numbers, what Sound is to letters.

So given that your daughter has DCD, the first question is whether she recognizes 2 as a group, or the name of the object next to the object called 1 ?

Thank you! You are asking what I need to know to help give me direction. She recognizes 2 as a group, if 2 is the only group, and will say there are 2 whatevers without counting. She doesn't recognize that '2' is what goes with that group. If I hold up 5 fingers, she has to count them and can't tell me automatically that there are 5 fingers. Sometimes after counting them she still can't tell me that she has 5 fingers. She may hold up 3 and tell me she has 2, or hold up 2 and tell me she has 4. She is now looking at them and can tell something is wrong, and that the name she assigned doesn't match what she is displaying, but can't correct it yet consistently. She also struggles with spatial terms such as more, less, taller, smaller, longest and so on. She can often point to the correct one, but not verbalize it correctly. Sequence is another difficulty for her (putting story cards in sequence, placing number cards in sequence, etc). I also believe she is not grasping yet that 5 is more than 3 which is more than 1.

Remind me why you're not doing the Saxon K5? I'm doing it now with my ds, and it's a brilliant fit for him. You decided it doesn't fit her? She sounds like she's going to need more breakdown than a typical K5 program.

I am not doing it just because, well, I don't like it. With my son I had to change the order repeatedly for him to get it and eventually went to MUS primer. Other than the calendar, which I do anyway, the rest just doesn't seem to be enough or a right fit for her or something. Maybe it is just me. I would love to do something different.