Menu

Do you do it all "alone"?

~Amanda~

I joined the local homeschool group, but I had to sign a statement of faith basically denying I was Catholic. I am glad that I did though because they do a lot of neat field trips for the kids. I have met some wonderful people, but do not really talk to them about homeschooling since I have a very different homeschool philosophy from most of them (CM/classical). Most of them use either Abeka or BJU. It is nice to know other homeschoolers though.

There is one Catholic homeschool family in my area, but they live way up on a mountain so I rarely see them. :crying:

I am so thankful for this board and the 4real boards. Without the support I get from those forums, I don't know how I could have possibly started homeschooling!

:lol: Here I am, praying for your soul. This just cracked me up. Thanks for the laugh (and I'm a Christian). Sorry about the unacceptance you have experienced. It's sort of ironic, really, when you consider the teachings and example of Jesus himself.

It has happened more than once! Apparently several ladies once prayed over me in a group during prayer time and told me about it. I just said thanks. I was in the group only a few weeks and had only went to 2 of the park days. But then I was asked if I would be present so they could pray over me while there. You know, so I could find my way to the Lord. I have to say, it freaked me out.

And that sounds like a conversation mine would pick up from grandpa :glare:

Edited by 425lisamarie

I am a Christian, but obviously not the right kind....oh, soooooo burned.

Wendy, yeah, it's so messed up, especially in the South. Jesus loves everyone, and welcomes everyone that is the RIGHT kind of Christian. Ya know, OUR definition of Christian.

Apparently to them, I'm the kind of Christian that wears horns and a tail, and is actively trying to drag their children away from their parents faith...:tongue_smilie: At least I've found a group that doesn't mind if my horns show every now and then. :D

It has happened more than once! Apparently several ladies once prayed over me in a group during prayer time and told me about it. I just said thanks. I was in the group only a few weeks and had only went to 2 of the park days. But then I was asked if I would be present so they could pray over me while there. You know, so I could find my way to the Lord. I have to say, it freaked me out.

:001_huh:! I can't believe someone would say that to you! I am sorry to hear so many of you have been treated this way or at least have felt unwelcomed just because of what you believe. :grouphug:

I found one co-op in our area that looks great but they require you to sign a statement of faith to join, which I will not do. Fortunately for us in the area we live we are surrounded by people of similar faith to ours. I still feel lonely though because none of them that I know, homeschool. I will need to investigate some support groups in near by cities. I just wish they were closer because at the moment I don't have my own car, and even if I did it is not easy to get 4 small kids ready and out of the house. I go back and forth with the idea about finding an outside support group. I feel like I get great support from this forum, but my kids could use some friends (there aren't a ton of kids in our area). This thread has been great, I don't feel quite so alone with this frustration.

We know some homeschool families but we don't get together at all. We did CC last year but still no strong bonds were formed. I do feel alone at times, well honestly quite often. My kids do sports, homeschool swim and gym and things in church so they get time with kids. I'm not a fan of SC so sometimes I wonder if that's why people don't really talk to me. I would like to not only have some friends that are homeschoolers but friends at all would be great.

I am relieved to see that I am not the only one who feels lonely at times. My problem is I'm not just lonely in my homeschooling journey but just life here in SC in general.

I'm curious to hear about your experience in SC because we are thinking

about moving there one day. Im sorry to hear how lonely life is there for you.

Living in the 'rainbow nation' where HS only become legal in 1994 it is hard to find support groups. I was blessed to have found a nice group of people nearby. We are of all walks of faith and thus we will sit together and discuss our Christian faith with some other christians in the group, there are all kinds of faith, from fundamental Chistians (I would be considered conservative christian) to catholics, atheist, jewish and there is a lady that is a pagan.

It is more a social group tht meets once a month for a presentation where the children will present a project and then have a meal together and the kids play up. We meet once month with the other groups in the area at a local ring. We also have outings once a month.

During presentation days some kids choose to present religious materials. Usually the Christian children. I have always tried to let my kids choose and up till now they have chosen secular materials.

I find that most people do not get offended and are very accepting. Due to my beliefs it woud be hard for us to find a group with a statement of faith that I would be confortable signing.

We meet ocasionaly during the month with some of the children for play dates.

I always tell my husband that I want to go to the US so that my children can have more HS social outlets but reading these messages made me very grateful for what I have.

Most of my support is from this forum.

I also have a good friend IRL that HS and is a member of our church but unfortanetely they moved 1600 miles away.

Most HS return back to school in high school, grade 8 here, and in our group most of the children my kids ages are planning to go back to school in high school. There ae some kids we have met through the ice skating that are HS for high school but they live further away. So am I not sure how this will pan out.

I have lots of friends, acquaintances and fellow chuch members that keep on urging me to send the kids back to school but i just listen and move on. As far as family...

Edited by sandst

With my first set....alone because not many people were homeschooling..

Now with my second set, I don;t have a driver's license due to medical reasons (hopefully be getting it back July 31) so even with a proliferation of hs groups, clubs, classes I still can't get to them because I can't drive to them. I am hoping next year will be more fun if I get my driver's license. I can go to local hs park days, meetings, support groups.

We did get to do a hs choir at a church within walking distance this year but my kids were the newbies from public school and found the group kind of hard to join in at first. In my church, there are only two other homeschoolers. One family only homeschools a teenager and another has one kid my children's age.

I have to admit we have accomplished A LOT not driving here and there but I think we are ready for more next year.

My best friend had a major life change last year and even though she lived in another state, I truly miss navigating this road together.

I do still have my dh, but he goes off to work each day and unless I call for help isn't in the trenches with me.

I don't know what I do without this board. A thousand thanks everyone!

I go it alone & prefer it that way. I have never been a really social person - you know, the kind who needs lots of friends & a ton of social interaction. I prefer online interaction, because it's just easier for me. We've met several local families that homeschool. Other than homeschooling, and maybe having kids roughly the same age, we have nothing in common.

We did try to make a friendship work with one local family. It became really annoying, though. Their kids & my kids had completely different interests & ended up with nothing to talk about and incapable of agreeing on anything to do together. The mom was very pushy, always trying to push her views on everything from parenting to nutrition to homeschooling on me. She thought I was a total control freak, had issues with the fact that I actually expect my kids to do school (she went from very relaxed to radical unschooling), disliked that I actually discipline my kids & expect them to follow rules, etc. Then, she decided to force her family to become vegan and started pushing that at me, too. I finally got tired of dealing with her & broke off contact.

I'm not totally alone. I've got my dh, family, a small group of IRL friends (not homeschoolers), and a few places online where I hang out. That's enough for me. I've learned that I simply work better with other homeschoolers if all our interaction is online. I've only met one other homeschooling mom (IRL) who didn't become weird, competitive, or pushy, and she lives in another state. Online interactions become like that less often, and it's easier to leave the conversation when they do get weird or annoying.

Are you alone in your homeschooling journey? Do you have a local friend? or group? or coop? If not, how do you cope with the vast feeling of... lostness?

I sometimes wish I had a local group to get together with; a friend, a group of friends, a coop of people with homeschooled kids. Everything here is christian based; and while I don't have qualms about exposing my kids, I don't appreciate the statement of faiths that require signing, and the feelings of outcast-ness because I don't really fit in. Le sigh.

We have local groups here but they are far, and I don't have the money to travel to the other side of town weekly. A couple also didn't have any kids near my kids' ages, they were all much older. Then there is the religious ones with their statements of faith, and I don't believe the same so I can't sign. I pretty much feel alone too. I don't enjoy that aspect, I want my kids to have more friends but....

I was lucky when I started out my homeschooling journey I was already connected with several homeschooling support groups. We started doing park days with them when I was still in teh wishfull thinking stage. However after moving away from the city I have spent the last 2 years completely alone other than this board and now FB. there is a reason I spend so much time on here. It's the only homeschooling kinship I get at this point.

You are not the only one with this problem. I find that all of the Christians only want to hang with Christians. I know I have been "accepted" by a few in my life, but they are praying for my soul and I don't need pitty.

Not necessarily. If you are members of a religion outside the norm many so-called Christian denominations aren't necessarily welcoming.

Besides this board yep. This board is hugely helpful though.

There is one hs momma down the street, but she had 4 under 10 AND runs a preschool. I barely see her. Very nice when I do.

Hubby takes kiddo to the YMCA hs co-op (and I know there is at least one boardie there .... I sold her some books).

I think that most people want to be around others that have similar interests or beliefs. It probably wouldn't behoove you to join a "Christian" group when you are not, that is just asking for problems. However, I'm part of a small group that consists of various denominations and we get along, but I highly doubt that an atheist or pagan would find our conversations interesting as we talk about likeminded things. I also have several friends at our church that homeschool but on the other hand I have several that talk against homeschooling, so I get encouragement and discouragement lol. :lol: My family is supportive but they are 3,000 miles away and we rarely see each other.

Yep, all alone. Besides you guys! ;)

My IRL friends range from uninterested to actively not wanting to hear about it. The other homeschoolers around here tend to be very unschooly-Waldorfy-crafty types, which I'm . . . not so much. If it weren't for the Hive it would be a very lonely journey. So thanks 'n stuff.

That pretty much sums it up.:iagree:

I think that most people want to be around others that have similar interests or beliefs. It probably wouldn't behoove you to join a "Christian" group when you are not, that is just asking for problems. However, I'm part of a small group that consists of various denominations and we get along, but I highly doubt that an atheist or pagan would find our conversations interesting as we talk about likeminded things. I also have several friends at our church that homeschool but on the other hand I have several that talk against homeschooling, so I get encouragement and discouragement lol. :lol: My family is supportive but they are 3,000 miles away and we rarely see each other.

I think some people do want a likeminded group, but sometimes the likemindedness is about, say, cloth diapering, or breastfeeding, or natural living, or reading books, or ... homeschooling. There are lots of mixed faith activities in other segments of life, and in fact, plenty of interfaith group, so I don't assume homeschoolers will all be evangelical Christians. They are apparently some near me, but I've never actually met any. Because I rarely meet any sort of hser. My husband has run into more homeschoolers in real life than I have. I swear! He even went to say goodbye to a friend who was moving, and his neighbor was a homeschooling dad and had a long talk with him. He's met dads who want to homeschool at the mall play area. Are homeschooling dads (or dads whose wives homeschool) just more friendly or what??? I even have a hsing relative who avoids talking about hsing with me!

I don't do it alone and I prefer not to. Life is hard as it is but with a community by your side, life is a lot more breathable. I belong to a small hs group where we meet every other Fri for park day or field trip or other activities. We are christian-based but we accept people of all faith as long as they don't try to force their faith on us. I like that we are relax and not uptight bunch of people so it makes it fun when we get together. I do meet some of the families outside of our group so that I can connect with them on a more personal level. I love it because we cry, laugh, and pray together. We realized that we cannot do it alone whether it is parenting, homeschooling, public schooling etc. Some of us also go to the same church so it makes it easier for us to see each other.

I also have good friends that do not home school but they are a great support to me as well.

Julia

I do it alone but I consider it as part of my parenting responsibility. I don't look to friends, groups, co-ops, etc to tell me how to parent. I know we have local homeschoolers but I am not part of their activities. I just feel like I don't need the "well, my 8 year old is going algebra" (while mine is trying to memorize times tables) competition.

I don't do it alone. I live in a big city (outside the city) and there are a lot of HSers here. Many of the groups do make you sign a statement of faith, but not all. One even has you get a reference from your pastor. Many who are in that group are in the group I am in, which is simply a homeschooling group. Mormons and Catholics love our group as do non-religious (anyone who has a beef with signing a SoF loves the option of our group) and religious (we have awesome field trips, park days, holiday parties, museum science classes, and a co-op). Religion doesn't get brought up in a ton in the conversations I have had. I was in a secular group as a email member and that wasn't organized well and flaming went on because someone posted info about a Christian based conference...you know, an FYI. Many in that group were religious, but the truly secular got mad. You cannot be secular and inclusive. Inclusive means belief or non-belief doesn't matter. Anyways...homeschool groups should be just that, a group for homeschoolers of all kids to get together, and they should replace a statement of faith with a code of conduct.