Menu

What do you do to get sleeping bags ready to store?

Ds and Dh just got back from one week at summer Bible camp. They used sleeping bags on bunk beds. Do I wash them? Just air them out?

I always wash them. I know many folks don't, but I like to make sure things are clean if they are going to be stored for a while. Then they're ready to use next time they're needed.

I usually just air them out, but after every few camping trips I wash them. If it was a particularly dirty trip (rain and mud for instance) I also wash them. I take them to the laundromat and bring a book. They'll fit in my washer one at a time, but I'd rather get them all done at once in one of those super size machines.

It depends on the type and quality of the bags and the storage space you have available. If they are down-filled I would follow the recommendations of the manufacturer, and store lying flat. I don't typically wash my poly-filled bags very often. I don't have enough space to store them flat, so I have them loosely piled.

I never ever fold and roll my bags, neither for transporting nor storing them as this causes permanent creases in the material and filling and can increase the wear and breakdown of the material (same as with a map that is constantly folded again and again on the same folds). It's actually better to stuff the bags willy-nilly into their stuff bags.

As others have said, be sure they are completely dry. I air out but don't wash unless food spillage occured. If they are going to be stored a while, you can stuff a couple of fabric dryer sheets in to keep the smell fresh.

Wintermom, I never thought about storing folded causing problems. Could you just cram them into a compression bag, or do you think it's important to store loosely?

Wintermom, I never thought about storing folded causing problems. Could you just cram them into a compression bag, or do you think it's important to store loosely?

Yes, for down bags, folding is bad, and also rolling and reusing the same creases - they need to be stored loosely and flat. They should be stuffed, not folded, into compression sacks for short term transport during use.

Storing it in a compression bag for long periods is bad; it will cram the down together and cause permanent loss of volume.

From what I have read, bags with synthetic filling are not as sensitive.

Well, firstly by "compression bag" do you mean the special stuff bags that you can pull the straps down and really make the bags go flat (which is really nice for backpacking)? I wouldn't leave my sleeping bag in this kind of a compression bag for longer than necessary in travel.

If you mean a regular stuff bag that the sleeping bag came in, I probably wouldn't leave my sleeping bag in this kind of bag for long-term storage unless it's necessary for space and added protection for the sleeping bag.

Well, firstly by "compression bag" do you mean the special stuff bags that you can pull the straps down and really make the bags go flat (which is really nice for backpacking)? I wouldn't leave my sleeping bag in this kind of a compression bag for longer than necessary in travel.

If you mean a regular stuff bag that the sleeping bag came in, I probably wouldn't leave my sleeping bag in this kind of bag for long-term storage unless it's necessary for space and added protection for the sleeping bag.

Yes, I meant the squoosh-it-tiny-for-a-backpack sack. I will be sure to check ours and make sure they are not stored that way. We don't have any expensive down bags, but I don't want them wrecked all the same. Thanks for the info (thanks to regentrude also!).

I wash bags that get used a lot (think BSA summer camp) abt once a year. Cold water, gentle agitation, line dry, eco-friendly wash. A little white vinegar in the final rinse, esp for down, to get all the detergent out. I believe in stuffing not rolling, for transportation and use. I store them hanging on large plastic hangers.

After each camping trip, we hang them to air. If they need a small amount of cleaning (even in cold weather sweating and condensation get in the bags) I might just squirt with the hose a little, to slightly rinse the fabric.

Care for most of the new synthetic insulations (micro-fiber, staple length fibers and continuous filament fibers) suggest never rolling or folding, like down, I'm pretty sure.