Menu

Fun Ideas for once a week child guest this year

mom31257

I'll have a friend's child coming one day a week for this school year. He is 2nd grade and will be doing some subjects along with my 4th grader. He's been in Christian school until homeschooling this year. Here's what we will do each week:

SOTW Vol. 2 (Maps and projects; reading/narrations done at home)

Trail Guide to World Geography(all map work and projects will be at my house)

Science study to match our geography studies (putting this together myself; he will read a spine at home; projects here)

Health (Horizons; completely at my house)

I would love suggestions for fun things like a check-in station, passports for the geography, etc. I've never taught an elementary classroom, but I think it would be fun to make that day have a more classroom feel. Thanks for any ideas!

We have fun with scavenger hunts. The last one we did involved measuring. The girls (9 and nearly 7) had to find items around the house (yard) that met certain requirements in the scavenger hunt: "a piece of furniture which measures 3 feet." Sometimes I have each girl work on their own list of items, but the last one they worked on together and learned how rewarding it was to work to complete the task.

The curricula I'm using should lend itself to fun projects and art. The AG for SOTW has lots of good ideas. With Trail Guide I'm going to be using the art and cookbook that go along with it.

I'm looking more for decorating ideas, weekly fun things to do when he arrives (check in station or passport), things that would be done in a school classroom such as assigning jobs, etc.

Ohhhh ... me me! :D

We're going to be doing Hideaways in History, so perhaps set aside an area to do the same thing? i.e.:

-The main part of the Hideaways program is making your own "hideaways" with boxes (or sheets etc) so they could creat pirate ships, place tarpaulin on the floor, make hteir own swords & flag, and the telescope do-hickeys (brain freeze :tongue_smilie: forgotten what they're called) basically set aside an area to "re-create" the chapter.

Confessions of a Homeschooler Expedition Earth has more ideas if you need it. I can't remember where we made our passports. Homeschool Creations also has geography printables (free)

A BIG thing is TICKETS! This place does tickets, that actually look similar to the "real" thing, you can input their names, choose your airline, and choose which airport your flying from/to, then print it, cut it out, get them to line up with their passports, use a date stamp for "entering" and"rip" the stubs of their ticket. Ticket-O-Matic

Science study to match our geography studies (putting this together myself; he will read a spine at home; projects here)

Expedition Earth does animals & cultures, also has free fun extras to download on her site.

I don't have horizons, only Abeka, so unsure of the material covered. I am doing a health & safety programme this year, covering stuff like First Aid, Emergencies, Preparedness, Health, Manners, Home, Car & Street Safety etc.

First Aid - The is a book downloadable on Currclick that we used.

When I included Fire Safety, & police stuff (stranger danger etc) I looked around the State & National officical sites. A lot has printables and downloadable programs. I also printed out a Fire Safety checklist, so they could go round checking everything.

I would love suggestions for fun things like a check-in station, passports for the geography, etc. I've never taught an elementary classroom, but I think it would be fun to make that day have a more classroom feel. Thanks for any ideas!

If you want it more "classroom" feel with a fun element, what about setting aside a part of the wall for 2 bulletin boards? You can have 1 History & 1 Geography. They can be as simple or as complex as you like. Geography one could be a map, with "push pins" of where you have been, then push pins could hold a photo of them doing a project. History one could have their telescopes/swords whatever they make attached to it, as you go through the book. Sort of like a 3D living wall museum history. A "timeline" of History & projects, if you will.

Edited by Ecclecticmum

Ohhhh ... me me! :D

We're going to be doing Hideaways in History, so perhaps set aside an area to do the same thing? i.e.:

-The main part of the Hideaways program is making your own "hideaways" with boxes (or sheets etc) so they could creat pirate ships, place tarpaulin on the floor, make hteir own swords & flag, and the telescope do-hickeys (brain freeze :tongue_smilie: forgotten what they're called) basically set aside an area to "re-create" the chapter.

Confessions of a Homeschooler Expedition Earth has more ideas if you need it. I can't remember where we made our passports. Homeschool Creations also has geography printables (free)

A BIG thing is TICKETS! This place does tickets, that actually look similar to the "real" thing, you can input their names, choose your airline, and choose which airport your flying from/to, then print it, cut it out, get them to line up with their passports, use a date stamp for "entering" and"rip" the stubs of their ticket. Ticket-O-Matic

Expedition Earth does animals & cultures, also has free fun extras to download on her site.

I don't have horizons, only Abeka, so unsure of the material covered. I am doing a health & safety programme this year, covering stuff like First Aid, Emergencies, Preparedness, Health, Manners, Home, Car & Street Safety etc.

First Aid - The is a book downloadable on Currclick that we used.

When I included Fire Safety, & police stuff (stranger danger etc) I looked around the State & National officical sites. A lot has printables and downloadable programs. I also printed out a Fire Safety checklist, so they could go round checking everything.

If you want it more "classroom" feel with a fun element, what about setting aside a part of the wall for 2 bulletin boards? You can have 1 History & 1 Geography. They can be as simple or as complex as you like. Geography one could be a map, with "push pins" of where you have been, then push pins could hold a photo of them doing a project. History one could have their telescopes/swords whatever they make attached to it, as you go through the book. Sort of like a 3D living wall museum history. A "timeline" of History & projects, if you will.

I love the bulletin board idea! Maybe I could even do a string of yarn with the push pins to show the "direction" we've traveled. The ticket website sounds great. Off to check it out!