Menu

Have you started the new school year yet?

Have you started the new school year?  

1. 1. Have you started the new school year?

• Yes
    • No
    • The Stig
    • I just like to vote in polls.

We are kind of bored around here and I told dd we should start school. She doesn't want to. So I said, "I'll ask the Hive and see how many started school already. If more than 5 have started we can start too." She said, "10. No, 20. If 20 people have started school we can start too, but only the fun stuff."

So have you started the 2012-13 years yet?

Today we are starting back with reading and math. We will do only this for a week.

Next week I will add in writing and History.

Week after that I will add in something more.

Science will not start until late Aug as we are doing a co-op.

Dawn

But, but, but... boredom is good. It is the beginning of creativity. Be bored then each of you come up with a new thing to do to solve the problem. Or tackle a stack of books in a shady spot with some lemonade. This is summer. You're supposed to be a little bored.

Unfortunately we just sit around and watch TV or play Wii or computer games.

We start August 6th. I'm bored, ds is cramming in every ounce of sleep possible until then. I have an ear/sinus/headache something and I'm having trouble doing anything productive. So I'm here when I have about 5 books I need to read in the next two weeks.

I'm about ready to go turn on the TV, and I rarely have it on during the day. We have no money to do anything. My big thing this week may be to give the dog a bath.

NOOoooooo..... We finished last years courses in late June (still haven't finished the math :glare:). Daughter and I just returned from a mission trip now she's off to volunteer for three weeks at a camp. My son is helping with VBS as I write this then goes off to Boy Scout Camp in two weeks. My husband and I have a fence to put up. I have a kitchen to semi-remodel. And I have barely started planning for next year. Besides, even it is still in the 50s here today at almost 11 am in July, the next couple of months are usually our lovely weather months.

We're on week 36 starting today.

I like taking more breaks throughout the year. It staves off burnout for me in Feb when I know I only ever have 3 weeks of school to tackle at a time.

However, I think it's really hard to have your last week of school in July. Although maybe it's hard to have a last week of school regardless of the month.

We started today -- just multiplication test and states and capitals (my middle schoolers didn't score much better than my third grader). The big kids will start Algebra review with Khan Academy tomorrow and the littles will work on Olympics lapbooks.

We probably will just do small projects and review between now and when we're heading to the beach in mid-August. Then, after we get back, we'll get to our regular curriculum.

I voted 'no' but only because you didn't have, "What are you kidding? We only finished the last school year this past Friday!" as an option. :D

Seriously, we follow the British school schedule and finished last Friday. We should start again the first week of September, but I'll be in Paris (yes, Paris, France - I'm sooooo excited) from the 8th until the 18th, so we won't start our 2012-2013 school year until 20th Sept.

Today is the official first day of school in our local school district. I think it's time for your kids to saddle up. :lol:

(Hmmm, means it's time to run out and get a few supplies!!)

WOW!!!!! That is early. Do they get out of school earlier. I am from Ca. and never knew schools in Az start this early.

Absolutely not. I try to make summer last just as long as possible! I'm the same with Christmas break too. Our school year will start August 20, and if there were a way to wait until after Labor Day without having to extend past Memorial Day, and still take a 1-week break every 6 weeks and take a month off at Christmas, I would! :tongue_smilie:

We started our 2nd week today. Even though my boys would never admit to being bored, I knew it was time. It is way to hot here to play outside and they needed something more than playing all day indoors. We'll take a break in the fall.

WOW!!!!! That is early. Do they get out of school earlier. I am from Ca. and never knew schools in Az start this early.

Most around Phoenix get out just before Memorial Day. Summer break is shorter, our district is only 7 weeks. Some schools don't start until the first week in August. Keep in mind it's unpleasantly hot here now.

They get a "Fall Break" at the beginning of Oct when the weather is actually nice. So, they all get their 180 days in the end, right? Actually nice that they take more breaks when the weather is good.

We take a lot of family vacation in Sep when the weather is hot here, great elsewhere, and family destinations are empty. :auto:

We are kind of bored around here and I told dd we should start school. She doesn't want to. So I said, "I'll ask the Hive and see how many started school already. If more than 5 have started we can start too." She said, "10. No, 20. If 20 people have started school we can start too, but only the fun stuff."

So have you started the 2012-13 years yet?

Okay, for some reason this is making me think of a certain conversation between God & Abraham... :tongue_smilie:

For the record, no, we haven't started school yet. So our family is not part of the 5/10/20/however many. Maybe next month... I've got a lot of planning to do...

But wait! We do math year-round! So we are part of the 5/10/20 MATH people! :D