Menu

Is there a way to turn on a child's memory?

happycc

I have a child who forgets things really easily.

She is 8yrs old soon to be 9yrs old and forgets to wipe herself, her birthdate, what a rectangle is basically anything we taught her it is forgotten...

even if it has been reviewed over and over again. We have taken a slight break from Right start B but she has been doing Singapore but yet suddenly she has forgotten place value, counting by 5's etc.

I have tried teaching her the same subjects morning and later afternoong as I know teaching someone in the morning fixates the information in short term memory where as afternoon and evening it stays in long term memory.

What do you know about memory? Word recall?

I thought about posting the same thing earlier today. My 9 yr old ds is the same way. He swears he has never heard of an adjective before and forgot everything he ever knew about division just from taking 4 days off.

You can work on memory by working on digit span: http://einstein-syndrome.com/development/auditory_visual_digit_spans/

You can also try kinesthetic learning: http://www.custom-homeschool-curriculum.com/kinesthetic-learners.html. I've had success teaching math using bean bags, agility hoops, soccer, balance beams, and songs. The movement helps them remember. I have found, though, that no matter how math is taught it's normal to have to revisit a concept before it's really cemented.

My son who has special needs has better memory when he is on gingko and curcumin. I would only recommend looking into either herb if retention/memory is really a pervasive issue that is affecting everything. For him it makes a big difference.

Sharon

it seems.

I have tried songs but she can't remember words to songs either. I asked her to sing the ABC the other day and she struggles.

I want to cry for her.

I asked her what month Christmas -she had to pause and think really hard and it is the same month as her own birthday.

I have her on fish oils and acidophilus everyday and she has severe yeast issues down there. She takes multivitamins everyday as well.

She speaks in phrases a lot like she can't get a whole sentence out like she forgets words or something.

Can she be tested for lead poisoning?

At age 8 or 9, it seems unlikely, but you never know.

Better check for Lime Disease, too. (Only 30% of those who get Lime Disease also get the "bullseye rash," so no rash doesn't mean that you don't have Lime disease).

I hope you find the solution. :grouphug:

I would definitely seek an evaluation. Needing review is normal. That sounds more pervasive. :grouphug:

I agree. What you describe sounds like it is more than typical forgetfulness. It sounds like time to take her for an evaluation. It is far better to take her in and have someone who knows about childhood psychological development look at her and tell you that everything is fine, than to assume it is fine when there is something you could do to help. Is this how she has been her whole life, or is this a change? If it is a change, take her in RIGHT NOW.

If you don't have a doctor you trust, you should be able to get a referral for an evaluation from the school district even without going through the school district.

Good luck and I hope that it is no big deal.

I would definitely seek an evaluation. Needing review is normal. That sounds more pervasive. :grouphug:

I agree.

Some things you can do to help her in the meantime:

Put up some kind of poster in the bathroom across from the toilet to help her remember to wipe. Role play with a doll (have her take the doll to the bathroom and have her tell the doll everything it needs to do. Teaching is one way to help cement the info in her mind--first you show her and talk it through, then have you show while she talks it through, then have her show while you talk, and finally see if she can put it all together).

Dates--get a big wall calendar and go over it frequently. Have her do a "scavenger" hunt for things like birthdays (which you will mark on there) and holidays.

Math concepts--make a lap book/mini office together with things like shapes, math terms, addition & multiplication tables--whatever she struggles to remember. Laminate it and let her use it for math. She can look things up on there and for many students, this helps to eventually solidify it in their minds.

Flash cards.

Know that you'll not only have to teach concepts for mastery (not just 1-2 times, but many times), but that you don't want to move on to new concepts too quickly--the new will push out things she has recently learned. You might like this article on the Funnel Concept. I tended towards spiral-type learning for awhile when my kids were younger, and later saw how incremental, mastery-based curriculum for skill subjects seemed to work better for them.

The Eide's Book, The Mislabeled Child has some ideas for working on working memory. Dictation can be helpful for this too.

When my dd was 8, I used to only give one instruction at a time (ie, go brush your teeth, not go brush your teeth and put on your pajamas). I had her come to me when she was done.

Encouraging her to say something to her self (repeat your instruction) can help with remembering it too.

Hang in there, Merry :-)

The strategies posted here to help with memory are wonderful, and should be useful to you in the long run. But here's the list of issues that I see you've posted:

consistent memory problems, both in both academic and life skills

word retrieval problems, difficulty expressing herself

persistent yeast infections

easy bruising

This is not something to put off while you try some new learning strategies. This is something that is making cry for her. You feel something is wrong. I am not trying to scare you. I am trying to encourage you to make sure that you do not have anything to worry about medically. Then you can try all the wonderful suggestions about how to address this academically.

nothing new with this child.. just getting old and needing something to work soon as she is heading towards preadolescent. Everyone, doctors included, says that she is just immature/will grow out of it...I don;t see any growing out of it right now.

I think this is bothering you still, even though the doctors have dismissed it. It sounds much more serious for an older child to be experiencing memory issues of this scale. Find someone to test your child, a developmental psychologist maybe? Move on from your family doctor and find someone who will help you. :grouphug:

I would really recommend seeing a neurodevelopmentalist and a holistic doctor. The neurodevelopmentalist can evaluate her and create a program for her, and a holistic doctor can help with appropriate herbs or with seeing what other issues might be going on. There were years when my son's retention was just awful, but it's much better now. I credit fixing his thyroid, putting him on the right supplements, and using a neurodevelopmental approach. Has she been checked for celiac? I know a child who went off gluten and it made a huge difference. It's so hard when they can't retain. I spent so much time teaching my son things that he quickly forgot. I finally decided that getting to the bottom of the retention issue needed to be my first priority since it hindered everything else. I hope you can find some answers.

limited income...

the other kids are on the same diet and no one else has her issues...

already took her to regional center when she was 5yrs old and they said nothing was wrong at the time...

we might go back again and see...but I am sure they will say she is fine.

in ps she did have rti back in first grade.

she is a carb and sweets addict---been difficult cutting that out.

Not sure how much you know about yeast, but being a carb and sweets addict can give your dc yeast. You can google candida online and one of the side affects of having yeast is brain fog/forgetfulness/memory loss. I know from personal experience. I thought this yesterday when reading your post, but didn't reply and then when I saw today that you said your dc was a carb/sweet addict I had to reply. Read about it online and see if it fits. To be honest, you're probably going to get more help from a holistic dr. HTH!

To the original poster - will you please email me at megan.welfare@gmail.com?

I emailed a link to your post to my sister yesterday. She has a child who sounds identical to your post, right down to forgetting to wipe. They sought help about a year ago, so my sister wrote a long email (with links & attachments) that she hopes will help you, and she asked me to forward it to you.

I second Edwena. Unfortunately the carbs and sweets feed the yeast. The yeast makes the cravings for carbs/sweets worse. She will have to change her diet to control the yeast. And the yeast can cause learning/memory/focus issues. I really like Garden of Life Primal Defense probiotics for helping treat yeast.

I have to agree with this again. Diet is everything. The way I've come to think of it is that it's either going to cost more up front in the form of healthier food, or it's going to be a lot more expensive later in the form of illness, medications, doctors, et cetera. It's no small thing. My family is on a tight budget, too. I don't know how we'd compare to OP, but we are a family of 4 living off one income (31K/yr). We rent a cheap apartment, share 1 old car, and almost never have money for gas, but the quality of our food is not something we skimp on. We can afford less healthy food than the obscene amounts we used to buy of box/canned/sweets/artificial/corn-based food. We think it's very important and that it affects us in every way to eat healthily as a family.

I know health nuts come off as abrasive sometimes, but I have to say I believe they're on to something.

I hope you find what you're looking for. :)