Menu

"Mapping the World with Art" - how complete?

Greta

I think that my daughter would really enjoy this program because she loves to draw, and it looks like there are lots of neat, creative activities. But looking at the samples and table of contents, I get the impression that the program includes physical geography, and is history-based, but perhaps does NOT include modern day political boundaries, and modern cultural geography? Can anyone who has seen/used the full program please correct me if I'm wrong? Or recommend a supplement if I'm right?

(BTW, I am referring to Mapping the World with Art, not to be confused with Mapping the World by Heart. I was confused at first, so just wanted to be clear. This one.)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Political boundaries and cultural geography are not the emphasis in this program. I was just asking some specific questions of my 15yods who completed this program this year. For instance, for the United States, he did not draw in the individual states. Just the country and natural land/water formations (there's a better word for that but I can't think of it). Mountain ranges, rivers, large lakes, etc. are all included but not political boundaries.

The program is based on the history of exploration as it relates to map-making. We had enough political boundaries and cultural geography in our history studies so it was a perfect addition for us this year and my kids who completed it really enjoyed it.

I noticed the same on the samples.

I'm going to keep an eye on your thread - I wanted to use this next semester for geography, but not if I have to heavily supplement for political boundaries and cultural geography.

I was originally thinking the same thing - that I really want an all-in-one program. But my daughter took a look at it this morning, and she loves it and really wants to do it. So looks like we'll be using it, even if that means supplementing. Hopefully someone out there knows whether or not I should be shopping for a supplement? :bigear:

Political boundaries and cultural geography are not the emphasis in this program. I was just asking some specific questions of my 15yods who completed this program this year. For instance, for the United States, he did not draw in the individual states. Just the country and natural land/water formations (there's a better word for that but I can't think of it). Mountain ranges, rivers, large lakes, etc. are all included but not political boundaries.

The program is based on the history of exploration as it relates to map-making. We had enough political boundaries and cultural geography in our history studies so it was a perfect addition for us this year and my kids who completed it really enjoyed it.

Thanks! I really appreciate the clarification (made my post below before I saw this - sorry).

For a kid who has NOT covered those things in history, would you have any thoughts as to a good supplement for this program? Maybe something simple like a Spectrum or Evan-Moor workbook?

Edited by GretaLynne

I was just thinking about what you could add easily to get those parts in. You could easily coordinate a simple workbook right in with the program. I'm not familiar with any of the workbooks you specifically mentioned but you could take any workbook and work on it at the same time that you're working on drawing a certain continent or area. I would think it would work out very neatly.

Now I'm brimming with ideas - for the younger group it could be combined with Galloping the Globe or Cantering the Country. For the olders the Trail Guides to World or United States or even just using the Ultimate Geography Guide to flesh everything out.

It's a good thing I have things planned for my younger kids already or I might tempted :)

I will say that of all the things I've purchased over the years, Mapping the World With Art is one that will be staying on my shelves for sure. I've heard rumors that HOD is going to combine it other resources for their first high school guide and I'm looking forward to using it when some of my youngers hit that age.

I was just thinking about what you could add easily to get those parts in. You could easily coordinate a simple workbook right in with the program. I'm not familiar with any of the workbooks you specifically mentioned but you could take any workbook and work on it at the same time that you're working on drawing a certain continent or area. I would think it would work out very neatly.

Now I'm brimming with ideas - for the younger group it could be combined with Galloping the Globe or Cantering the Country. For the olders the Trail Guides to World or United States or even just using the Ultimate Geography Guide to flesh everything out.

It's a good thing I have things planned for my younger kids already or I might tempted :)

I will say that of all the things I've purchased over the years, Mapping the World With Art is one that will be staying on my shelves for sure. I've heard rumors that HOD is going to combine it other resources for their first high school guide and I'm looking forward to using it when some of my youngers hit that age.

Great, thank you so much, Janet! :001_smile:

It includes a history of mapping. There is not any modern day cultural material. I am going to add that in by assinging my kids to look it up and present the information to me - no extra work for me!

Sounds like a good plan! :D Do you have a specific reference in mind for your kids to use?