Menu

Do you boycott businesses....

Do you boycott business if you don't like what they are doing?  

1. 1. Do you boycott business if you don't like what they are doing?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

You're not missing anything. My husband bought one about 5 years ago and it was.... bad. Really bad. I wonder why anyone goes there.
IIRC that a couple years back they "improved" their pizzas by adding a bunch of sugar to the sauce. Uck.

I avoid purchasing anything that benefits the Koch brothers. I try my hardest to avoid Monsanto GM food. I do not shop at Wal-Mart and I am appalled at my lack of knowledge about Nestle. I no longer participate/donate to Race For The Cure. I do not carry signs and I do not inform anyone unless specifically asked, like the OP did. :001_smile: It is a personal choice. I am glad I live in a country where I can exercise that choice.

Great responses! I never heard of the Nestle boycott. I won't go see movies of certain actors, and there are a few products I won't buy because of causes the companies support. In my town, there is a local restaurant I no longer patronize, due to their politics and some unethical business practices.

I was just curious if anyone else was as "a*al" as I am about this kind of thing. I just can't in good conscience send my dollars to a business that supports things I don't want to support.

I know boycotting some actor's movies, and not movies (hollywood) in general, probably doesn't make a difference, but it is a matter of principle for me.

I know boycotting some actor's movies, and not movies (hollywood) in general, probably doesn't make a difference, but it is a matter of principle for me.
I don't typically boycot actors (because they are a small part of what goes into a production), but there are a couple whose behavior is so beyond the pale, I would be incapable of working up enough suspension of disbelief to enjoy the film.

I agree.

And, with every person who gets on a high horse about some issue a company stands or doesn't stand for is someone else who will support that company more because of it. And, unless you are completely, 100% self-sustaining, your money will go towards something you don't like.

So true. I suspect that a certain chicken place is getting a lot of extra business currently.

The only business I actively avoid is Walmart. It has less to do with their policies than the fact that shopping there skeeves me out and makes me feel like I need a shower afterward. I don't think I've set foot in a Walmart for at least 5 years.

I do avoid some actors' movies due to their wacky beliefs (I haven't seen a Tom Cruise movie in years) or when they start excessively spouting off about their political beliefs. I am not "boycotting" them because I think that my "vote" matters, but simply because I can't tolerate them anymore.

I don't agree with gay marriage or the homosexual lifestyle, but I still shop at JCPenney even though they've chosen to feature gay/lesbian couples in their catalogs and have Ellen do commercials. LOL However, I would feel differently about a business that chose to promote abortion (which is why I no longer donate to Susan G. Komen, unfortunately, because of ties to PP). Other than that, social issues don't usually prompt me to boycott, but business practices that are shady or unfair sure would!

I answered "no," but I try not to shop at Wal-Mart. I hit the BTS bins yearly, but mostly dh and I avoid shopping there. It's not really a boycott, we just don't enjoy the WM experience and don't like the general effect they seem to have on communities.

I don't really keep up on the news, so I wouldn't even know which companies I should be boycotting day-to-day anyway! :tongue_smilie:

I answered "no," but I try not to shop at Wal-Mart. I hit the BTS bins yearly, but mostly dh and I avoid shopping there. It's not really a boycott, we just don't enjoy the WM experience and don't like the general effect they seem to have on communities.

I don't really keep up on the news, so I wouldn't even know which companies I should be boycotting day-to-day anyway! :tongue_smilie:

Just curious...all of you that avoid Walmart....what's so terrible about your stores? Are they dirty? I don't get the general distaste for them. Our local Walmart just relocated and became a Super Walmart - which is awesome for our town of only 13,000 population. Anyway, it brought 200 new jobs to our town! The store is still working out quirks of being a Super Center, but it's okay.

When we were traveling on our road trip last month, we tracked Walmarts we could see from the freeway - over 60 of them! During the trip, we stopped at at least 6-8 and there was only one I wanted to get the heck out of right away!

Just curious...all of you that avoid Walmart....what's so terrible about your stores? Are they dirty? I don't get the general distaste for them. Our local Walmart just relocated and became a Super Walmart - which is awesome for our town of only 13,000 population. Anyway, it brought 200 new jobs to our town! The store is still working out quirks of being a Super Center, but it's okay.

When we were traveling on our road trip last month, we tracked Walmarts we could see from the freeway - over 60 of them! During the trip, we stopped at at least 6-8 and there was only one I wanted to get the heck out of right away!

My Walmart IS unclean. The shelves are never stocked, there is trash on the floors, the employees are RUDE and seemingly uneducated, The lighting is horrible and the whole store is grey and blah. It's an uncomfortable shopping experience all around. Add that to their questionable business practices and I'm out.

eta- I don't live in the ghetto. This store is in a fabulous neighborhood. In fact, the neighborhood attempted to make it so the store couldn't be built. Didn't work. :(

Edited by Munchkins_mama

My Walmart IS unclean. The shelves are never stocked, there is trash on the floors, the employees are RUDE and seemingly uneducated, The lighting is horrible and the whole store is grey and blah. It's an uncomfortable shopping experience all around. Add that to their questionable business practices and I'm out.

eta- I don't live in the ghetto. This store is in a fabulous neighborhood. In fact, the neighborhood attempted to make it so the store couldn't be built. Didn't work. :(

It has been 3 years and two month since I've been in a Walmart. For awhile, my DH volunteered in a town that only had a Walmart and fast food restaurants. We went with him but it was disgusting. The next closest grocery store was 60 miles away.

Our town has a Walmart but it is disgusting. I swear half the photos from that "People of Walmart" site come from our store.

And I agree with little to none of their corporate policies so we just don't go there. After visiting the aforementioned town, it was obvious that Walmart just came in and decimated that economy and that town's culture. :(

I think people don't like Walmart for various corporate habits, not because they are unclean.

Someone mentioned she felt she needed to shower after leaving there. That's what prompted my question. I am aware there are Walmart haters, but I was wondering more specifically about the comments made in this thread.

Walmart varies greatly.

The main reason I don't go to Wal-mart much anymore is because it brings out the worst in me. I don't spank. I am anti-spanking. When I'm in Walmart, particularly around the holidays (and I go late to avoid the crowds), that stance changes. And I'm not talking about my own kids. I hate feeling like that.

I think the whole boycott businesses in regards to some current issue just creates division. Liberals use it to try to shut down things they don't like (such as Rush Limbaugh - they don't listen to him but they try to shut him down by intimidating advertisers), and generally when someone is boycotting something, it is liberals being mad about something conservatives are doing (though conservatives have certainly picked up on the habit, to my chagrin).

Personally I think its petty behavior. You just end up with companies taking stands on issues that have nothing to do with what they do and everyone is mad and has to make a list of businesses to be mad at and people feel holier-than-thou because they boycott certain businesses and so forth. And yes, that is a run on sentence which only demonstrates my point. Nothing but childish behavior, IMO.

Seriously? I see the ultra conservatives pushing boycotts with division too. Often with more fierceness. I'm pretty moderate (as in I vote for the person, not the party, and my votes are pretty divided over time). Definitely lean to the left though whenever anyone gives Rush a hard time, he usually deserves it... he chases many a moderate to the other side.

I'm another who votes with my wallet. That usually means supporting businesses that do a bit locally. I do shop at Walmart - they have been great at supporting local things. I also do most of my grocery shopping at a locally owned grocery and our favorite restaurants are all local places, but occasionally we'll also eat at McD's since they are great local supporters too - plus - we know the local owner.

When we travel, we actively seek out local places to support when possible.

There are a few businesses I try not to buy from when shopping, but not many.

I'm tempted to make an extra visit to Chick Fil A over the latest deal. We may - someday when we have time for the trip. (We don't have a local one.)

I generally try and fail. I remember one Christmas that we tried to buy non China made toys. :glare: The only one I have not given in on is Pepsi products. It sure has been hard though as I hate Coke. I just found out that the ban on Pepsi was lifted a few months ago, so thanks for this thread. :hurray: I still don't know if I can drink it w/o gagging though.

I agree it would be next to impossible to live in this world and boycott everything that supports something you don't agree with. I generally will try to shop there as little as possible, but not make a big deal out of it: Wal-MArt, Starbucks . . . I did not know about Nestle, sounds really bad . . .

Edited by Quad Shot Academy

Seriously? I see the ultra conservatives pushing boycotts with division too. Often with more fierceness.

Anyone remember the "One Million Moms?"

How about the boycott against Disney because they are too "gay friendly?"

The Florida Family Association, which boycotted Lowes because they had ads on a show called "All American Muslim. The group said the show was "propoganda" because it portrayed Muslims in a positive light.

Yep, it's definitely all of us liberals who are the problem.

I boycott based on personal experience, not on social issues. If I was treated rudely or the store was yucky or something, I'm not going back.

I think most modern businesses have practices that are distasteful, but I would either need to be (1) incredibly rich, or (2) self-sufficient to be able to avoid everything I would need to avoid to have a clean conscience. So I usually just pretend I'm ignorant of those things and just concentrate on product quality.

I also think that most boycotts based on social or political reasons are pointless. Like others have said, for every person who boycotts the company, there's someone who is happy about it and who will just support that company even more. I think it's mostly a wash.

Now when it comes to donations, we're very, very careful where we send our money. I try to think of companies as the products or services they sell and nothing else, so if I like/need their product I will support them. But just giving money in return for no product or service? That's an entirely different matter IMO, and something I can easily control.

The only one I have not given in on is Pepsi products. It sure has been hard though as I hate Coke. I just found out that the ban on Pepsi was lifted a few months ago, so thanks for this thread. :hurray: I still don't know if I can drink it w/o gagging though.

What do you mean by Pepsi being banned? I know what it means to boycott something but how can someone tell you that you are not allowed to buy something that is legal?

We don't boycott anything. I generally can't remember where my shoes are, let alone where not to shop for them. I did have a bizarre experience at a small magic shop as a kid, and as a result avoid skeevy strip mall stores and small businesses run by creepy old guys.

I do wonder if people extend their boycotts to the places that are sponsored by controversial companies. Monsanto gives lots of money to our zoo and science center and is one of the biggest employers in our area. Purina Farms is an awesome animal place for kids - and Purina is now owned by Nestle. Wal-mart donates to many local school charities and fundraisers. It's hard to attend a sporting event in an arena that isn't named after a company sponsor.

Just something I wondered about yesterday as we wandered around the science center...

Seriously? I see the ultra conservatives pushing boycotts with division too. Often with more fierceness. I'm pretty moderate (as in I vote for the person, not the party, and my votes are pretty divided over time). Definitely lean to the left though whenever anyone gives Rush a hard time, he usually deserves it... he chases many a moderate to the other side.

I remember a lot of boycotts growing up... I also think they lost a lot of their "appeal" through overuse. A lot of the looking for the "devil" behind everything turned many, many kids in my generation completely "off."

I see a huge difference in corporate policy and the beliefs of one individual who is part (or even head) of the corporation who speaks out regarding their personal beliefs. I have no issues with corporations who have offered partnership benefits for well over a decade (actually, they provide benefits to all within a household, which in this day and age is a HUGE help). I may have issues with policy stands a corporation takes through advertising, etc. In one case, it is individuals speaking/acting out their personal beliefs, in another case an entity has suddenly entered the public arena. Some people may disagree with that assessment, and they are free to.

I am more likely to support a company whose values/practices I like than to boycott. In general, I try to support local places or small places rather than big corporations as much as I can.

I think boycotting is often complicated. I remember reading an article once about McDonald’s that talked about how on one hand McDonald’s has this image as being an evil company that is a symbol for the homogenization of our culture and that is making us all fat. On the other hand they said that in many countries that have McDonald’s it provides the employees with the best benefits and labor practices available. I’m sure someone is going to argue with this point...it was a long time ago that I read the article and I don’t remember the details. The point I took away was that often when you start looking at things from a global view it gets very very complicated to parse out all the different effects one company has.

I’m also very sensitive about the fact that not everyone in a particular group is going to agree with a certain position. I get tired of getting emails telling me to boycott a particular store or company that are sent to me because of an assumption that I have certain political views based on the fact that I’m in a homeschooling group or in my church. Similarly, in college I was in a woman’s leadership group but was pro-life. I finally had to speak up after the umpteenth meeting with someone standing up and reminding us all that we couldn’t order Domino’s because Domino’s is pro-life and hates women.

For me I may avoid places, but I rarely totally boycott them. WM is a royal pain. Large, noise galore, dirty, and really not any cheaper than the Kroger across the street. I only go if I can't find what I want somewhere else first. I wouldn't completely boycott it though because I have dear friends who work there, it is their only job, the only one they could find. The same is true for just about any large business or organization. I have friends, neighbors, and family who work at Lowe's, for Home Depot, Office Depot... They may not be great jobs, but they are jobs. In this economy that is so very important.

That being said, I try to shop as much as I can locally first, thru locally owned businesses. I buy our vitamins at a local health food store even though I could order them for a good deal less online. I buy as many foods thru local food co-ops and farmers markets and food stands. And so on.

WM isn't my favorite place, but in recent years, my city has gone from one really awful WM to 3 decent ones. The awful one has been remodeled and is quite nice now. The other two are kept clean. I just hate going in there because I don't like the layout. I like the layout of Meijer much better. Something else about WM that irritates me is the fact they lower the prices of the crap groceries (processed, boxed, etc) and raised the prices of the fresh meats and produce. So, if you're low income and shop at WM for inexpensive groceries, you're almost forced to buy the crap foods to make your dollar stretch. (No, I can't cite my source for that. It was an article on Yahoo a while back).

And, I love JCP and Chik-fil-A, both. And Target. And Hobby Lobby.

I avoid certain companies that don't hold the same values I do. My top list right now to *avoid* includes WalMart, Darden restaurants, and Chick-fil-a.

I do go out of my way to find an In-N-Out if we are eating out because they pay a living wage, provide health insurance, and 401K contributions for their employees. I also go out of my way to shop at Natural Grocers because they have only organic fruit and buy from local farmers and dairies.

We do boycott and have for pretty much ever.

(After reading a few other comments, I feel I should clarify that we boycott only when businesses are directly involved with doing or promoting something that does not align with our values. We do not and would not boycott simply because someone expresses a distasteful opinon.)

I don't buy any product that is tested on animals.

I don't shop at Walmart.

I don't buy anything Nestle.

We stopped shopping at Kohl's and Hess after the latest HRC ratings.

I quit shopping at Lowe's in the wake of them rolling over for the Florida Family Association and pulling their ads from All-American Muslim.

I've written to the companies telling they why they are off my list.

(Oh, and I know this won't be popular here, but I refuse to support the BSA in any way at all. I don't buy their popcorn, and I won't even buy a cold soda from one of their booths at a craft fair.)

Chick-Fil-A was never much on my radar, anyway, given that we're vegans. But my husband used to eat a salad and waffle fries there occasionally when he went out with a group from work. He won't anymore.

On the other hand, I go out of my way to support businesses whose practices I support.

I shop more frequently and intentionally at JC Penneys.

My daughter wears her Levis proudly.

When we need something nice, Macy's is always our first stop.

And I've always preferred Target to the other big boxes, but I've made a point of spending more of my money there rather than other places recently.

And there are some areas in which the best I can do is to cut back. For example, Publix earns a rating of 15 from the HRC, which is pretty dismal. Unfortunately, none of the other local grocery chains are any better. So, we've transferred as much of our grocery shopping as possible to Target and are now shopping Publix only for the items I can't get anywhere else. I spend maybe 15% as much there now as before. And, yes, I've written to tell them why.

:iagree: I could have written this myself. Except we are not vegans. And Chick-fil-al was never on my radar because I think there is only one in my area and I have never eaten there because the name does not appeal to me.

with every person who gets on a high horse about some issue a company stands or doesn't stand for is someone else who will support that company more because of it. And, unless you are completely, 100% self-sustaining, your money will go towards something you don't like.

Maybe with social issues, but *most* of the comments in this thread have to do with business practices. Does someone support telling moms who cannot afford formula that it is a superior, modern, cool choice?

Wal-Mart brings in low-wage jobs and puts small businesses out of business. My dh worked at a small, but national manufacturing company in college. Wal-Mart approached them about supplying for their store. They actually moved their manufacturing plant to China because it was the only way they could afford to do it. We try to avoid Wal-Mart.

Yep, it's definitely all of us liberals who are the problem.

In my *general* experience, most liberals boycott based upon business practices (animal testing, union-busting, wages, child labor, etc), not the random opinions of a company's executives.

The Florida Family Association, which boycotted Lowes because they had ads on a show called "All American Muslim. The group said the show was "propoganda" because it portrayed Muslims in a positive light.

Right, and it worked -- Lowes yanked their ad. Clearly Lowes made a decision about which customers they value.

I voted yes, but I guess I should have voted sometimes. There are a few places that I will absolutely not shop. I boycotted our local walmart because a store manager was such a butthead to me one day when I complained of a magazine cover with a naked man on it. I didn't go in that store for over a year (and ALL my previous shopping was there before this incident.) After she moved to a different state, I resumed shopping there.

I almost never go to McDonald's after seeing the SuperSize Me documentary.

I NEVER purchase pepsi products (or any of their subsidiaries) for their very public stance on some issues. I won't even get Pepsi at the free fountain drink stand at work (and it is the only product they have in the entire place that employs over 450 people!) I choose water.

So maybe yes is a correct answer for me.

In my *general* experience, most liberals boycott based upon business practices (animal testing, union-busting, wages, child labor, etc), not the random opinions of a company's executives.

That has been my observation as well. Not always, but far more often than not.

Maybe with social issues, but *most* of the comments in this thread have to do with business practices. Does someone support telling moms who cannot afford formula that it is a superior, modern, cool choice?

No, but among the list of things I do boycott, Nestle is not among them. I have very specific reasons for choosing to boycott something. Breastfeeding just isn't on my agenda. I do not necessarily disagree with the rationale behind the boycott. It just isn't my own personal priority.

What IS on my agenda is my own personal business, though, and I don't particularly care to discuss it on this particular forum. I visit political forums for that kind of thing, or have private discussions. ;)

I suppose if we're getting specific, the main store I won't step foot in is Target. I quit going there after they took their stand about not allowing Salvation Army bellringers, or any group - even local fundraisers - to set up outside their doors. They want to "protect" their shoppers. I prefer to hit Walmart and my local grocery store that seem to have groups outside often. I don't need protection to figure out if I want to support something else (from food banks to BSA or whatever). I can make my own decision.

As I reported before, I'm big on spending my money at companies that support local activities - so I suppose I also boycott those that don't.

Regarding other things? We went to Disney after the big boycott of a few years ago because I disagreed with it and we've decided to go to Chick Fil A this week (taking a special trip since there isn't one in our closest town) because I disagree with any boycott. Companies can do/believe what they want IMO, but once that means they won't support local groups, then I, as a local, don't support them either. So far, I only know of Target (locally) that has chosen this option. I think there were other stores that followed their lead, but I don't believe those are here (I could be wrong...).

I suppose if we're getting specific, the main store I won't step foot in is Target. I quit going there after they took their stand about not allowing Salvation Army bellringers, or any group - even local fundraisers - to set up outside their doors. They want to "protect" their shoppers. I prefer to hit Walmart and my local grocery store that seem to have groups outside often. I don't need protection to figure out if I want to support something else (from food banks to BSA or whatever). I can make my own decision.

That's actually another reason why I WON'T go to Walmart. I would like to go shopping without being accosted by people pushing their agendas on me. I don't mind Girl Scout cookies being sold at the bank, or the small local store, but when the people with the petitions or whatever are following me to my car, asking WHY I won't support their agenda, it makes me really mad.

but when the people with the petitions or whatever are following me to my car, asking WHY I won't support their agenda, it makes me really mad.

I've never seen that happen at any store around here, including Walmart. Around here they need to be at tables and people can choose to go up to them or not. I like it that way.

I've never seen that happen at any store around here, including Walmart. Around here they need to be at tables and people can choose to go up to them or not. I like it that way.

I haven't seen that either. They set up next to, not in front of, the entrances, around here. Same way in other places we've lived.

I consider myself a thinking shopper. I like my money to go to places and people that I value and am unhappy if my money goes to anything that actively undermines my beliefs. Some of this thought process takes the form of boycotting products, but more often it is a matter of looking at labels and buying thoughtfully. Sometimes it means buying used if there are no new options available that meet my budget and values. I avoid Walmart, Chick-Fil-A, Nestle, and Miracle Gro, and have other places that are second-stringers, where I won't look first, but don't actively loathe.