Menu

Do you boycott businesses....

Do you boycott business if you don't like what they are doing?  

1. 1. Do you boycott business if you don't like what they are doing?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

I only boycott for big things generally(it seems I see constant calls to boycott various companies based on different things- I ignore most of them).

eta: I would never donate to any organization that I didn't agree with, I have but a few that I believe in that we put our money towards.

Edited by soror

Do you boycott businesses that profess beliefs you don't agree with, or donate money to organizations you don't want to support?

I do not donate money to organizations I do not support. This is why we don't give change to the Salvation Army buckets.

Boycotting businesses is much, much harder. I think Nestle is reprehensible but I don't know all the subsidiaries of Nestle and I don't take a list while grocery shopping. I *should* and I know it but I've reached the point in life where I almost have too much information and i get overwhelmed.

I try to counter it by writing letters telling companies like Nestle why I don't like them, etc.

But I'm not the crusader I should be. I have a family to take care of.

Only for exceptional reasons. In the past I have boycotted for mistreatment of employees and selling products made with child labor. I choose to limit my purchases from Wal Mart because I prefer to support local businesses if possible.

I do not usually boycott for social reasons.

I am considering not buying from the chicken place.

I do not because if I looked deeply enough, I could probably find a problem with almost every company out there. I tried once and it was ridiculous. Honestly, I don't think it makes a difference anyway.

:iagree:My MIL used to email me every time a company was doing something that she didn't agree with. I got to the point that I was like, really? Do you want me to pick apart every company that you shop at? I just started deleting her emails. There was a recent one that I actually meant to boycott because I was offended by the information, but I actually forgot :blushing: and I don't know if it was all actually true anyway.

I try to avoid WM as much as possible. But that is because of the junk sold there and the way they treat employees. Not for social issues. Unfortunately we don't have much choice since WM is the only department store within a two hours drive (one way).

I do try to use my Amazon Prime if I can wait a couple days.

I don't officially boycott anything, but I do pick non-Nestle chocolate bars :). I also try to buy things in support of local farmers and businesses, but I am in the season of life right now with a few small children where the convenience of a big box store tends to win over my personal desires/convictions.

I don't agree with what policies they have or what they support. I can agree to disagree. I will not buy stuff from certain celebrities-singers... if they are too vocal against things I believe in a rude and disrespectful way. I'm not buying any Dixie Chicks stuff(and it looks like not to many others are either)even though I loved them as singers after being so rude about President Bush overseas... you can disagree without being rude and disagreeable. I won't buy Madonna music since she is so rude and inappropriate... I know my Mom also won't see anything with Jane Fonda after her Hanoi Jane stint.

I boycott Nestle and have for over a decade.

I do avoid Walmart and prefer to go to Target. I do realize it is still a big box store and anti-union, but it also has rules with it's suppliers regarding child labor and Walmart does not. I do try to get things from Costco before I go to Target because Costco pays its employees well and treats them well.

Nope. DH and I don't 'do' the boycott thing.

As Christians, we still have to live IN the world. There's no point in boycotting a business because it supports some worldly thing. Of course it does. Honestly, you'd have to boycott every non-Christian owned business to really be sticking to your principles there. And we're just not called to do that.

Just my $0.02.

I don't go to Walmart much since I just don't like the stores. I am totally fine with them not having unions. I don't like unions. I love Chick Fil A but my daughter is now allergic to just about everything in their store. If I am not going with her, I can stop there. I do support Salvation Army but don't support Susan Komen fund.

For a long time when the kids were little, we didn't buy products made in China. THey got a lot of neat toys because we had to search for the ones made somewhere else. But it continued to get harder and we simply had to give it up.

Not really boycott, but I do try to avoid. I avoid Walmart because it is a pain to shop there. It's crowded with too many rude customers, I find. I don't watch TLC because they exploit vulnerable children who are already exploited by their parents with that dumb show about the pageants. And I refuse to donate to medical " research" so try to avoid all the pink stuff or don't shop at "percentage of profits going to..." times, if possible.

Remember the Disney boycott?

http://articles.cnn.com/1997-06-18/us/9706_18_baptists.disney_1_boycott-disneys-denomination?_s=PM:US

My husband worked for Disney at the time! :lol: (accountant in the tax office) Kind of hard to boycott your own work. However, we were not in agreement with the boycott so it didn't matter. My employer had been offering full health benefits for domestic partners for years prior.

Dawn

I do not because if I looked deeply enough, I could probably find a problem with almost every company out there. I tried once and it was ridiculous. Honestly, I don't think it makes a difference anyway.

As Christians, we still have to live IN the world. There's no point in boycotting a business because it supports some worldly thing. Of course it does. Honestly, you'd have to boycott every non-Christian owned business to really be sticking to your principles there. And we're just not called to do that.

Just my $0.02.

:iagree:I do boycott Target, but only because of a horrid experience I had dealing with them and their so-called customer service over the holidays.

Just my $0.02.

:iagree:

I have been boycotting Nestle for 15 years. It is probably worth pointing out that not all of the things on that list are made by nestle in the US. Some of them are licensed and Nestle makes them in the UK, but not the US. For example, the KitKat name is owned by Nestle, but made by Hershey in the US. The Cheerios name is not owned by Nestle, they license it and make it in the UK. So, I don't buy KitKats because Nestle gets some money for those when they sell in the US. I do buy Cheerios because Nestle gets no money for those when they are being sold in the US. I don't buy anything from L'Oreal, The Body Shop, etc.

I only boycott ones that don't supply me with the product I want. This may happen in any number of ways.

Two examples I have, that have happened are:

1) Ordered direct from author, they shipped (apparently), never received. Tried to follow-up and they said to follow-up on my end (so they didn't want to do they work, just basically refused) I couldn't, as its international. Any information was there end and they wouldn't supply a tracking number. They wouldn't refund or give credit or apologise, Just "I sent it". I was planning to use their whole line ($100's of dollars worth, plus probably the same in shipping) instead I was out about $100 ($60 for the book, $40 for shipping). I actually decided not to use another program, because it had their product as a "requirement" in it.

2) Tried to order direct from Publisher/Author (when will I learn :lol: ) they had issues that prevented me from buying me end, and showing wrong prices in their cart. Again I was willing to spend about $400 all up in one go (they knew this), but obviously I wasn't worth their time, as they never fixed the items or updated me further. Again, I won't be buying any of their products.

The above sounds rather critical, but really I am an easy going person. If a person emails weeks later (even if there website says responds within 24hours) and they apologize for the late reply, I'm happy. I understand delays, dramas etc. And I am not bothered if a program doesn't fit with us (not their fault). What I want, is to be able to get a product in the first place, that is all. :001_smile:

I refuse to go to Carl's, Jr...a few years back they had some terrible commercials on. I was watching TV with my kids, early evening, and this commercial came using the song "I like big butts and I cannot lie," but it was in the classroom and they were talking about the teachers. I was just shocked at the way they sexualized it and couldn't believe it was on during family programming. I sent an email to complain and promised I would never eat there again. (Although, to be honest, I can't even remember a time I ever did eat there!) I'm sure they took off that commercial just because of my complaints. :D

That's the only boycotting I've done...

I boycott businesses based on my personal experience with them. If they have high prices or bad service, I don't go there. If I like what they sell and the price is reasonable and the service is good, I'm a loyal customer.

I think the whole boycott businesses in regards to some current issue just creates division. Liberals use it to try to shut down things they don't like (such as Rush Limbaugh - they don't listen to him but they try to shut him down by intimidating advertisers), and generally when someone is boycotting something, it is liberals being mad about something conservatives are doing (though conservatives have certainly picked up on the habit, to my chagrin).

Personally I think its petty behavior. You just end up with companies taking stands on issues that have nothing to do with what they do and everyone is mad and has to make a list of businesses to be mad at and people feel holier-than-thou because they boycott certain businesses and so forth. And yes, that is a run on sentence which only demonstrates my point. Nothing but childish behavior, IMO.

I hadn't read the Nesle thing before.

http://www.notefromlapland.com/2010/08/the-nestle-boycott-whats-that-all-about-then.html

That is a LONG list of things to boycott. L'Oreal and Cheerios and a whole host of others.

The list is actually more extensive than in that article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nestl%C3%A9_brands

Like Mrs. Mungo states, many of those items are not American brands. I carried a list until I became familiar with it.

I only boycott for big things generally(it seems I see constant calls to boycott various companies based on different things- I ignore most of them).

eta: I would never donate to any organization that I didn't agree with, I have but a few that I believe in that we put our money towards.

:iagree: I generally* only boycott businesses because of offensive business practices. I believe everyone is entitled to their own POV, even high visibility corporate principals.

I do not donate to institutions/organizations whose mission or practice is in opposition to my values.

*However... When a corporation adopts a policy or practice that directly and actively violates my values, I will choose to sever our business relationship.

I try to, but it's not always feasible. I LOVE Chick fil A because the food is great and it's one of the only food allergy friendly restaurants in my budget. But I hate their political policy. And I try to avoid Nestlé, but I admit I don't always look or care. I hate walmart, but unless i want to spend 3 times my already huge food budget, it's my only choice within an hour. So for me, there are things to weigh.

Just my $0.02.

:iagree: I have stopped going to certain stores just based on bad personal experiences. When we donate money, I do research to make sure the money will be well-spent.

I boycott businesses based on my personal experience with them. If they have high prices or bad service, I don't go there. If I like what they sell and the price is reasonable and the service is good, I'm a loyal customer.

I think the whole boycott businesses in regards to some current issue just creates division. Liberals use it to try to shut down things they don't like (such as Rush Limbaugh - they don't listen to him but they try to shut him down by intimidating advertisers), and generally when someone is boycotting something, it is liberals being mad about something conservatives are doing (though conservatives have certainly picked up on the habit, to my chagrin).

Personally I think its petty behavior. You just end up with companies taking stands on issues that have nothing to do with what they do and everyone is mad and has to make a list of businesses to be mad at and people feel holier-than-thou because they boycott certain businesses and so forth. And yes, that is a run on sentence which only demonstrates my point. Nothing but childish behavior, IMO.

I agree.

And, with every person who gets on a high horse about some issue a company stands or doesn't stand for is someone else who will support that company more because of it. And, unless you are completely, 100% self-sustaining, your money will go towards something you don't like.

I don't 'boycott' any particular place, but there are many places I refuse to shop at.

Walmart is horrible, with their business practices, and customer service. I can't really expect anyone who works for a horrible company to be happy about working there, so I just don't shop there. I will drive to the Target on the other side of town. I also shop at my 'local' grocery store even though the prices are a little higher. If I can spend $10 more for the whole shopping trip, and avoid the homicidal rage that comes from walking into a walmart, I'm going to do it. :tongue_smilie:

In my perfect world, I would only shop at local, small business, stores. I prefer to support the small guy. Sometimes I can't find what I need locally but otherwise I do pretty well.

If it matters to me.

I am doing it right now.

Oh, it's like a riddle.

But I can't solve it. :tongue_smilie:

Most of the places I'd want to boycot I don't do business with anyway. It's a bit disappointing, but there it is. It could be rationalized as pro-active boycotting, I guess.

I don't support United Way, if I have a choice, because of witnessing a restaurant experience where a bunch of people who worked for them were using an expense account. I worked in a convention hotel, it was a convention, they were unbelievably extravagant in a very expensive restaurant. I was a server. However, this was 20 years ago and they may have changed their policy since then. I like to give money directly to homeless people. I also like a local rescue mission, I regularly donate to them. I am not a fan of national charity organizations since my convention hotel waitress job. I am forming a charity foundation as we speak to benefit the homeless population in my area, the homeless children, to be exact. The public school representative is meeting me here at my office this afternoon. My school district has identified over 250 children without homes. I live in the SUBURBS! I think they all need great shoes, the opportunity to play sports, hygiene items and any tutoring support we can rustle up for them. I will let you know how it goes. We are working on the details.

I am not angry with Chic Fil A, they have the right to take a stand however they want, it is a free country and I support that. I do wish they would understand the fantastic people they are alienating, though. For some reason it is still okay to discriminate and I don't get that. I do lean more toward JCPenney now than I used to even though they have nothing I like. I am thinking of making an appointment to get my hair cut there this week.

I need to add, I can't eat one darn thing at Chic Fil A, anyway. My 13 year old LOVES it so we have been spotted regularly in their drive through. :)

Edited by Mad Charity
clarity

Yes, I boycott Nestle and its companies because of their vile, reprehensible infant feeding promotions. I saw the most disgusting billboards in the Philippines, basically implying "cool Americans use formula, only poor provincial people breastfeed." VOMIT!

I pick my battles. If something ruffles my feathers enough I will boycott.

It's been 10 years since I started boycotting Nestle. I *hate* that company with a passion.

I have boycotted Walmart for the past 7 years. Don't miss shopping there at all. If I can't find it somewhere else I do without.

Those are the two big ones that get me going.

I just sent an email to the pet store in my town telling them I will no longer buy from them due to what I witnessed with my dc there this morning.

Most (not all) companies do things that are unethical and some more than others. I choose the companies that participate in lesser evils.

The chicken place is now forever off my radar. Won't be hard for me though as I don't eat fast food anymore.

Yes, I boycott Nestle and its companies because of their vile, reprehensible infant feeding promotions. I saw the most disgusting billboards in the Philippines, basically implying "cool Americans use formula, only poor provincial people breastfeed." VOMIT!

Don't forget about the formula for mothers to drink that they are pushing in 3rd world countries. Women are being told that if they don't drink this particular "milk enhancer" that their breast milk is worthless and their babies will starve.

Hate Nestle.

We do boycott and have for pretty much ever.

(After reading a few other comments, I feel I should clarify that we boycott only when businesses are directly involved with doing or promoting something that does not align with our values. We do not and would not boycott simply because someone expresses a distasteful opinon.)

I don't buy any product that is tested on animals.

I don't shop at Walmart.

I don't buy anything Nestle.

We stopped shopping at Kohl's and Hess after the latest HRC ratings.

I quit shopping at Lowe's in the wake of them rolling over for the Florida Family Association and pulling their ads from All-American Muslim.

I've written to the companies telling they why they are off my list.

(Oh, and I know this won't be popular here, but I refuse to support the BSA in any way at all. I don't buy their popcorn, and I won't even buy a cold soda from one of their booths at a craft fair.)

Chick-Fil-A was never much on my radar, anyway, given that we're vegans. But my husband used to eat a salad and waffle fries there occasionally when he went out with a group from work. He won't anymore.

On the other hand, I go out of my way to support businesses whose practices I support.

I shop more frequently and intentionally at JC Penneys.

My daughter wears her Levis proudly.

When we need something nice, Macy's is always our first stop.

And I've always preferred Target to the other big boxes, but I've made a point of spending more of my money there rather than other places recently.

And there are some areas in which the best I can do is to cut back. For example, Publix earns a rating of 15 from the HRC, which is pretty dismal. Unfortunately, none of the other local grocery chains are any better. So, we've transferred as much of our grocery shopping as possible to Target and are now shopping Publix only for the items I can't get anywhere else. I spend maybe 15% as much there now as before. And, yes, I've written to tell them why.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

There's a lot of BS spreading around the internet.

The reasons I have were not found out via email or shady internet research, but by specific, public behavior of which the company is proud of and has been, in many cases, documented by "regular" news sources or is openly promoted by the company.

Of course some things companies do, I don't agree with, but they don't strike me as boycott-worthy. But some things they do I find offensive, and that is enough to make me avoid them.

I don't eat at Chick Fil A, so this has nothing to do with them. I am already avoiding most fast food places because I think their food stinks.

Of course some things companies do, I don't agree with, but they don't strike me as boycott-worthy. But some things they do I find offensive, and that is enough to make me avoid them.
This.

I've boycotted Dominos Pizza for over 30 years, even before I learned that salt isn't part of the food pyramid and pizza crusts weren't supposed to taste like cardboard. And Nestle, for well over 10 years.