Menu

Bath toys for 6 year old boys...

Funny request.... but my son asked me to get him some new bath toys for his bath basket (he's almost 6)... he says he's quite bored with the toys he already has in there because he's been playing with them since he was 3... LOL!! Okay, fair enough.... but other than some Schleich toys and maybe some bath paints... (although I'm cringing at the mess - I'll be brave) I'm not sure WHAT to get....

Help me brainstorm for some ideas? TIA!!

Bath paints or the things that color the water are less mess than you would think. They wash right off and make a rule that any flinging or splashing of the paints means immediate loss of them. My 6yo likes things that pour, action figures (we have some rubber ones from a cake that are waterproof), bubbles. The other kids have liked the foam shapes, numbers, and letters. Tub crayons or the water coloring tablets have also been big hits.

We use bath paint (homemade) as well as lots of old containers (soft drink bottles, strainers etc), pirate ship boats/boats in general, barbies (they need bathing too!), and pretty much anything they want to take into the bath.

If I'm looking for new toys, I usually look for something that has educational value (phonics foam letters, today I pulled out something I ordered a while back - Squiddy! He's a squid (required 2 AA batteries - watertight), the batteries propel a fan between his legs and make him move about the bath looking like a real squid! My 7 (8 at the end of this year) year old had a blast with him, and kept "letting him go" so he would fly off in the direction of Eve (3) who would start squealing and splashing about.

Theres also things like musical flutes, face bath paint, pretend shaving kits, mirrors, even floating playsets (similar to little people etc) another one we have is a "slide" that sunctions on to the side of the bath, with water wheel and a few other things, they slide everything down it (it sunctions onto either side of the bath, and goes down in the middle with a slide coming out the middle front, they put a "character" in it, then pur water and watch the person goes flying down the waterslide)

I certainly don't think 6 is too old. If he's still using his imagination in the bath, great! :D 4-5 is about the time I stop getting all those "baby-ish" type of bath toys and concentrate on ones a bit more advanced, thats the only difference (although they still play squirters with the ducks :tongue_smilie:

I'm not a fan of bath paint or anything I need to wash. Bubble bath is fun enough.

My dc love playing with Playmobil in the bathtub. There are some small sets that are wonderful for water play, but almost anything will do. The pool sets have "air mattresses" and some sets have canoes and boats. I don't let them bring in the really tiny pieces for fear of getting stuck in the drain.

My two 6 year olds love to play in the bath. Their favorite thing right now is a large army-type ship with soldiers. They also have a small raft the people can ride in and one of the soldiers is dressed in scuba gear.