Menu

Puppy Sched ?

Any idea what to do so Bazinga doesn't need to potty at 12am? I don't know wth is going on, but 12am, she's up, crying...and it's not just a quick piddle either. :glare:

I'm giving her her last meal around our supper time, so btwn 530-7pm.

She only cries in her crate when she needs to go out, and it seems 12am and around 5 am is the time. Someone (whoever the last one up is) takes her out before we go to bed, no earlier than 10pm. Something is up that she can go from 12-5 am, yet only a cpl of hrs from the initial bedtime.

Heck, Sat night, Wolf didn't come to bed til 11, and she was needing to go out an hr later. :001_huh:

So, any help would be appreciated. Could this be a hold over from the breeder's yet?

So you're saying she poops at midnight? The Midnight Pooper? ;)

Okay-- well I'd start by backing up her supper an hour and see if that helps. Also, I'd withhold water after about 7 or 8 pm.

I'd wager it's a holdover from the schedule she was on at the breeder's, and will take a bit of time to change. She'll get there.

astrid

I'm no expert, but it seems as if it could be a hold-over from the breeder's schedule.

Is she capable, during the day, of going longer than two hours between potty trips? If so, I would think you could work on a similar night-time schedule...ya think?

So you're saying she poops at midnight? The Midnight Pooper? ;)

Okay-- well I'd start by backing up her supper an hour and see if that helps. Also, I'd withhold water after about 7 or 8 pm.

I'd wager it's a holdover from the schedule she was on at the breeder's, and will take a bit of time to change. She'll get there.

astrid

Bwah ahahaha! Midnight pooper, that's about it! I've considered picking the water up, but b/c she's short faced, and it's been warm (not kill me hot since before we got her, but warm enough we have fans going) I'm uber paranoid about heat issues. Am I being too paranoid?

I'm no expert, but it seems as if it could be a hold-over from the breeder's schedule.

Is she capable, during the day, of going longer than two hours between potty trips? If so, I would think you could work on a similar night-time schedule...ya think?

Honestly, I haven't paid attention to how long she goes in btwn. She naps on and off all day, and we just run her out when she wakes, and when we catch her doing the suspicious sniff.

I would start taking her out of the crate before she whines, like at 11:30 or so, to break the habit of her giving the signal. After a week or so back the time up to 11:15, then 11 pm. I think eventually she won't be in the habit of getting out at midnight. How old is she?

I would start taking her out of the crate before she whines' date=' like at 11:30 or so, to break the habit of her giving the signal. After a week or so back the time up to 11:15, then 11 pm. I think eventually she won't be in the habit of getting out at midnight. How old is she?[/quote']

9 wks

I would start taking her out of the crate before she whines' date=' like at 11:30 or so, to break the habit of her giving the signal. After a week or so back the time up to 11:15, then 11 pm. I think eventually she won't be in the habit of getting out at midnight. How old is she?[/quote']

I agree with this, but do want to mention that she's a baby still-- for 9 weeks, one midnight break is pretty darn good!

astrid

I agree with this, but do want to mention that she's a baby still-- for 9 weeks, one midnight break is pretty darn good!

astrid

Oh, she's doing great, I know! I'm just trying to figure out how, since she's being taken out btwn 10-11 pm, she's still needing to go out at 12, since she then makes it til 5am after that. Just don't know why that's happening.

I've read online that you should take their age in months and then add one, and that's how many hours they should be able to hold it - so, 3 hours? That was not true for my puppy (who is 4 1/2 months now) at night though, I think by 9 or 10 weeks she was holding it for about 7 hours at night, but we've had her and been "potty training" since she was 3 weeks.

I do think in this case it might be mostly an internal clock on her part. :)