Menu

I Want a Book/s (that I can get completely lost in)

For something light hearted and snort-soda out your nose funny, Nature Girl, or anything else by Carl Hiaasen. So funny, engrossing, page turning and clever plots.

For something intense you can escape into, The Bourne Identity, and the other Bourne books by Robert Ludlum are amazing, and different enough from the movie series that you won't anticipate the page-turning deliciousness. I couldn't get into the Bourne books written by other authors.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Host by Stephenie Meyer and Juliet by Anne Fortier. I could not tell you what my children did while I was reading these books. I don't think I cared :lol: I felt that way about Harry Potter and Twilight, too. Funny enough, I am more interested in the story than the writing. If the story pulls me in and I feel that I know the characters then I don't even notice bad writing.

I hated The Handmaid's Tale and the George R.R. Martin books. :ack2:

From the Book a Week thread it looks like you don't read the fantasy genre much. However, if you would like to take a foray into it, Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings (book 1 of The Belgariad) would be an excellent choice. Light, fun, amazing characters. David Eddings is a brilliant storyteller.

Edited by Angel

Negin, it's scary, but it's more weird. For instance, there's an index in the back (who puts an index in a novel?) and some of the entries don't refer to anything in the book. There are some blank or almost blank pages. The cover reflects the book--it's shorter than the text pages, because the house is bigger on the inside than on the outside. There's also a pattern on the cover, raised up a little--it's the pattern that you'd get if you played the sound emanating from the house, thru a speaker, and put sand on top of the speaker--the pattern caused by the frequency.

In the story itself, as the website describes, it's a story within a story covered by another story that contains a story...:lol: Yeah, parts are really scary, but no super gory descriptions or anything. (How would YOU like to come home from vacation to discover another closet in your kid's room...?)

Heehee--worth your time, if only for the artistic, creative expression.

See? These are some of the many reasons I really wanted to be brave enough to read House of Leaves! :tongue_smilie::lol: Gosh, I may have to attempt it for a third time. I'll probably still be completely freaked out by it once I reach about page 20 or so....

Btw, Chris, you might really enjoy a book called The Raw Shark Texts.

Ok people, I know this is petty but it's Handmaid's Tale not Handmaiden's Tale.

Whew, glad I got that off my chest. :lol:

And now, back to the program already in progress.

:lol: Thanks for the correction! I was thinking it was wrong when I was typing it but I thought that others who actually liked the book would remember the title correctly. :lol:

House of Leaves was a book published on the internet (free) @ the same time Cory Doctorow started self-publishing on the internet. It generated so much response that it was published in print form. DH got a copy from one of his friends, one of the early copies.

Personally, I thought it was detailed but dull. The narrative is kind of like the labyrinth. It circles around and around without really getting anywhere. After awhile you get tired of reading the frame story and wish the house story went some place.

I didn't find it scary at all. Maybe I just didn't get it?

Oh, and the author's sister is the musician Poe. She wrote a soundtrack to go with it.

Books I am always recommending for good reads, sans the mental demands:

Btw, I have a huge affinity for fiction written by southern women. I always ending wanting to move to Georgia or South Carolina. :)

So, anything by Sarah Addison Allen: The Sugar Queen, The Peach Keeper, The Girl Who Chased the Moon etc.

Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen: A Novel, by Susan Gregg Gilmore

Fanny Flagg: Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, Welcome to the World, Baby Girl etc

The Owl Moon Cafe, by Jo-ann Mapson

Also, written by an Irish woman, taking place in London, but in the above tradition, is Winter Bloom , by Tara Heavey.

For a whole series of fun and laughs, The Harmony books, written by mid-western Quaker pastor, Philip Gulley are a treat. (There is another Harmony series, by a woman. I don't know anything about those books.) Gulley has created a world we wish existed. I laughed out loud many times.

Edited by LibraryLover

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinder

Ok people, I know this is petty but it's Handmaid's Tale not Handmaiden's

:lol: Thanks for the correction! I was thinking it was wrong when I was typing it but I thought that others who actually liked the book would remember the title correctly. :lol:

I knew it was wrong! It was 4am and I was to tired to check and I just copied. What a follower I am:lol:

don't do shades of grey. i've heard from friends that it is pretty raunchy!!

I don't mind raunchy. I do mind bad writing, which, I've heard is a huge problem with 50 Shades.

My favorite Barbra Kingsolver Book is 'The Bean Trees' I have read it so many times.

Thank you. Added it to my wish list. :)

The Hunger Games trilogy

I enjoyed the movie, but don't think I'd like the books. Our dd has liked the books.

If you like something lite but entertaining Susan Elizabeth Phillips writes good chic lit, and Jennifer Crusie's 'Agnes and the Hitman' had me laughing all the way through it.

Thank you. :)

Negin, it's scary, but it's more weird.

Thank you, Chris. If I do get it (and it sounds quite good), I won't get the Kindle version. :)

For something light hearted and snort-soda out your nose funny, Nature Girl, or anything else by Carl Hiaasen.

Thank you, also.

For something intense you can escape into, The Bourne Identity, and the other Bourne books by Robert Ludlum are amazing, and different enough from the movie series that you won't anticipate the page-turning deliciousness.

This is very good to know. I'm crazy about the movies. Just love them. They even sell the books here, so I won't need to order them.

I am more interested in the story than the writing. If the story pulls me in and I feel that I know the characters then I don't even notice bad writing.

:iagree: That's true for me also. Story for me is pretty much everything. I'm sure that even if I had read 50 Shades and IF I'd liked it a lot, I would have barely noticed the bad writing.

From the Book a Week thread it looks like you don't read the fantasy genre much. However, if you would like to take a foray into it, Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings (book 1 of The Belgariad) would be an excellent choice. Light, fun, amazing characters. David Eddings is a brilliant storyteller.

Will look into it. Yes, you are correct. I don't read the fantasy genre much.

Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi

Bleak House by Charles Dickens

Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens

I read and really liked Stones from the River many years ago.

I normally love Dickens and we have them all. Can't handle it right now. Too heavy for now.

Whew, glad I got that off my chest.

:lol:

Thank you. :)

I also love Jen Lancaster.

Any favorites or ones you recommend first?

House of Leaves

Personally, I thought it was detailed but dull.

Thanks for this warning. Not sure if it would be for me after all.

I enjoyed listening to The Thirteenth Tale.

Again, I have this and look forward to reading it hopefully soon.

So, anything by Sarah Addison Allen: The Sugar Queen, The Peach Keeper, The Girl Who Chased the Moon etc.

I've read two of her books quite recently. Didn't LOVE them, but enjoyed them just fine.

Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen: A Novel, by Susan Gregg Gilmore

This has been on my wish list for a few years now.

Fanny Flagg: Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, Welcome to the World, Baby Girl etc

I'm a huge Fannie Flagg fan and have read and loved them all.

The Owl Moon Cafe, by Jo-ann Mapson

Also, written by an Irish woman, taking place in London, but in the above tradition, is Winter Bloom , by Tara Heavey.

Thank you for these suggestions. These both look great. I love the cover of Owl Moon Cafe.

For a whole series of fun and laughs, The Harmony books, written by mid-western Quaker pastor, Philip Gulley are a treat. Gulley has created a world we wish existed. I laughed out loud many times.

Strange question: are these very Christian?

Thank you all so much. :grouphug:

Whew, glad I got that off my chest. :lol:

Gosh, I'm sorry! I've corrected it. Fortunately my link to the book is the correct book.

If you don't mind nonfiction, anything by Laurie Notaro is hilarious. (She's written some fiction, too, but her nonfiction humor is great.)

Oh my gosh!! :lol:

I was reading this thread yesterday as I read anything my friend, Negin, posts.;)

So, I was going to the library yesterday afternoon and decided to pick up one of these books. I went into such a hysterical laughing fit that my husband gave me a dirty look and left the room. :lol: I also took it to the pool today while my little guy had his swimming lesson and had to put it down so that I didn't embarrass myself with another fit of laughter.:lol:

I wouldn't say I could get lost in it but life has been really, really stressful and, as they say, laughter is the best medicine. I'm glad I nosed into Negin's thread.:lol::lol:

I have a book on my Kindle that I haven't started yet (busy with college readings right now), but I'm looking forward to it. River of Doubt, a story about Theodore Roosevelt's expedition into an Amazon river branch by the name River of Doubt. :001_smile:

This looks good.

I was reading this thread yesterday as I read anything my friend, Negin, posts.

Ronette, you're so sweet :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:. Same here. I love all your posts. And although I might not always reply to them, I love reading them. :)

So, I was going to the library yesterday afternoon and decided to pick up one of these books. I went into such a hysterical laughing fit that my husband gave me a dirty look and left the room. :lol: I also took it to the pool today while my little guy had his swimming lesson and had to put it down so that I didn't embarrass myself with another fit of laughter.

I can't wait to get one of her books very soon. :D

River of Doubt, a story about Theodore Roosevelt's expedition into an Amazon river branch by the name River of Doubt. :001_smile:

This looks good. Thank you.

I just started this book, although I'm getting very little reading done at the moment with last-minute travel stuff and packing. Liking it so far and am learning a lot.

9781569767078.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Also I usually recommend Nick Hornby to people. Quirky British novelist.

I remember really enjoying Nick Hornby's 'How to be Good' a few years ago.

We were away on holiday (vacation) last week and I completely lost one evening and all of the next morning finishing 'Peaches for Monsieur Le Cure' by Joanne Harris (author of 'Chocolate' and many other wonderful tales, every one of which I've adored). It may go by a different title in the US. She's rather anti-religious, but quite insightful and thought-provoking in her treatment of religion (she has a go at Islam as well as Christianity in this latest book, but seems a little gentler with them both this time). If you have any kind of weakness for chocolate or good food, then steer clear of this book :D.

Edited by Cassy

If you have thought about 50 shades then I assume you aren't opposed to extremely graphic scenes since 50 shades is erotica. I found it poorly written with an unbelievable plot. That said, I read the entire trilogy. :tongue_smilie:

If you would like to read something in that vein that is not poorly written, check out Anne Rice's Beauty series. Originally published quite a few years back; I think I read them at least 15 years ago. They have recently been republished.

I do want to caution you or anyone else interested that these are not for the faint of heart. They are extremely graphic erotica (with a bent toward violence) and not a "love story". In case you are interested, here is the first of the series: http://www.amazon.com/Claiming-Sleeping-Beauty-Anne-Rice/dp/0452281423/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345418382&sr (notice the two extremes in rating - you can either stomach it or you can't)

I recommend A Discovery of Witches and the sequel, Shadow of Night. She writes great. The series has been called Harry Potter for grown ups. I piced up A Discovery of Witches last summer and read it all in one day. I could not put it down. Second is just a good, if not better.

Here's a link to the author's site:

http://deborahharkness.com/discovery-of-witches/

If you would like to read something in that vein that is not poorly written, check out Anne Rice's Beauty series. Originally published quite a few years back; I think I read them at least 15 years ago. They have recently been republished.

I do want to caution you or anyone else interested that these are not for the faint of heart. They are extremely graphic erotica (with a bent toward violence) and not a "love story". In case you are interested, here is the first of the series: http://www.amazon.com/Claiming-Sleeping-Beauty-Anne-Rice/dp/0452281423/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345418382&sr (notice the two extremes in rating - you can either stomach it or you can't)

I'm one of the can't-stomach-it crowd. The book was highly recommended to me with gushing reviews. Oh boy. Not for me. I wish I could erase from my mind what I did read before I stopped. ;)

I loved the Into the wilderness series by Sara Donati. They are compared to the out lander series a lot, and while Jamie and Claire are still my favorite, I found the wilderness series to be almost as good, I plowed through them in about a week and cried when it was over.

I also recently read The Passage by Justin Cronin and was sucked in from the first page.

For pure fun but quality fantasy I love Mercedes Lackey, she is incredibly prolific, but her Elemental Masters series are my favorites. I also just finished her version of Arthur and gwenyvere and really enjoyed it.

I will always second Neil Gaiman in general (I think I like his young adult books even better than his adult books), and Good Omens in particular.

I like the Game of Thrones books okay, but they do get very bloody and...well...smutty.

Other fiction books I have read lately and enjoyed:

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore

The non-fiction books that I have read lately have been less high-brow than normal, lol. I read Jeremy Clarkson's book and Simon Pegg's book. They were both pretty funny, if you like British humor.

I am currently reading Sig Hansen's book, North by Northwestern (I got it for free). It is very scattered. He could have used a ghost writer. If he did use a ghost writer, then he could have used a better one. I think my 14 year old ADD daughter could have helped him put together a better narrative. But, it is interesting. He is a crab fisherman, after all, not a writer.

I loved Jennifer Reese's Make the Bread, Buy the Butter. It was a really funny memoir of the time she spent cooking things from scratch and comparing the costs and taste to store bought. The recipes are included, but I thought the strength was in the story.

Another food story I liked was Kitchen Counter Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn. The author is a Le Cordon Bleu graduate who is a bit adrift and ends up running a series of cooking classes for women who don't cook at all. It's very sweet, very entertaining, can be funny, and has great recipes.

The final one is a bit offbeat. Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell. An NPR contributor wrote a travel book about going to famous sites relating to the assassinations of 3 US presidents. It's hilarious and really interesting. Um, if you are conservative politically you may not enjoy it. It was written during the administration of GWB and she was...not a fan.

If you want something better written than 50 shades of Grey, try Anne Rice's Belinda or even her Sleeping Beauty Series. And of course, there is Lolita (but that's a classic).

Have you read the Hunger Games trilogy? I just read that and it was a good read.

Last summer I read every book Phillipa Gregory ever wrote. She's the author of The Other Boleyn girl. She writes mostly on the Tudors but has some other historical time periods. It's all fictional but well researched.

Edited by lea_lpz

This is a great thread! I started reading Laurie Notaro because of this thread and she is hilarious. That is the first time I actually LOL'd at a book. Who knew books could be so funny!?

I prefer the "Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death" much more than her "Idiot Girls' Action Adventure Club"

I have a fierce love of dystopian scifi, if that piques your interest

The Handmaid's Tale By Margaret Attwood

I found this extremely disturbing when I read it. A good story but definitely not light.

Have you read the A Song of Fire & Ice series by George R.R. Martin? I'm in the second book; the first book was a great read!

Don't even start these if you like to be able to finish a series without waiting a decade. :glare:

The Host by Stephenie Meyer.

:iagree: Much, much, MUCH better than the Twilight series.

Didn't read all replies, but Stephanie Plum series makes me LOL!

:iagree:

I just finished the Southern Vampire Series aka Sookie Stackhouse, minus the last book.

I recommend A Discovery of Witches and the sequel, Shadow of Night. She writes great. The series has been called Harry Potter for grown ups. I piced up A Discovery of Witches last summer and read it all in one day. I could not put it down. Second is just a good, if not better.

:iagree: I didn't realize the second book was available. YEAH!! I have to go get it.

For pure fun but quality fantasy I love Mercedes Lackey, she is incredibly prolific, but her Elemental Masters series are my favorites. I also just finished her version of Arthur and gwenyvere and really enjoyed it.

:iagree: The Elemental Masters, the 500 Kingdoms are great and light-hearted. Her Valdemar series is wonderful too and would keep you in books for a very long time. :D

Downloaded this to my Kindle last night on a whim. Was up way later than normal ;) Thanks for the rec!

How about The Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger? I like it a lot! I just finished the first one, called Soulless, and will probably read the whole series. I wasn't sure about paranormal stuff, but this is a great mix of mystery, paranormal, romance and a smidge of steampunk thrown in. FUN and just what I've needed recently. There's sexual tension, too, which works well in this one. lol

Shine, Shine, Shine by Lydia Netzer

This looks good. :)

I always like escaping into the Thursday Next series...lots of fun. :)

I think I purchased the first one and it's on my Kindle.

Off to read more suggestions later. Thank you all. I love this thread and all your great suggestions. :grouphug:

Thank you all so very much. Although I haven't been able to reply to every single post, I've been adding most of your recommendations to my wish list. :)

I remember really enjoying Nick Hornby's 'How to be Good' a few years ago.

'Peaches for Monsieur Le Cure' by Joanne Harris.

Cassy, both titles look really good.

And yes, I do have a great weakness for chocolate and food. :lol:

In case you are interested, here is the first of the series: http://www.amazon.com/Claiming-Sleeping-Beauty-Anne-Rice/dp/0452281423/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345418382&sr (notice the two extremes in rating - you can either stomach it or you can't)

Thank you for this. I don't have a problem with the graphic stuff. My only reason for not being interested in 50 Shades is the fact that so many say it's so poorly written. Added the Anne Rice book to my wish list. :D

I recommend A Discovery of Witches and the sequel, Shadow of Night. She writes great. The series has been called Harry Potter for grown ups.

Since I love HP, added this to my wish list also. :)

Have you read the Hunger Games trilogy? I just read that and it was a good read.

Last summer I read every book Phillipa Gregory ever wrote.

No interest in The Hunger Games. Dd likes them. I just enjoy the movies.

Read most of Phillipa Gregory's books and have liked them.

Thanks again, everyone.

Well, if you want one that is weird and fun and inappropriate in some places, AND a mind-rocking experience, read House of Leaves.

Here's a website description of it--it has some spoilers, but not enough to give away everything. It's...complex. :D I really admire the thought that went into it.

Wow! How have I missed this?? It looks like totally my kind of book!

Thank you for this. I don't have a problem with the graphic stuff. My only reason for not being interested in 50 Shades is the fact that so many say it's so poorly written. Added the Anne Rice book to my wish list. :D

Good luck. That first book gave me nightmares, and I wondered what the heck was wrong with that woman's head.

Good luck. That first book gave me nightmares, and I wondered what the heck was wrong with that woman's head.

Thank you. :grouphug:

On second thoughts, I think I'll pass. :eek:

Graphic/er@tica, I don't mind. I used to read Jackie Collins all the time (many years ago) as well as someone else (who shall remain unmentioned). :blush: In fact, I'm considering reading Jackie Collins again just for fun, fluff and entertainment.

Violence, I don't mind some. I loved The Dragon Tattoo series. But I'm quite sure that Anne Rice is not my cup of tea.

How about the Dresden Files? Kind of Harry Potter all grown up?

Thanks, Lizzie. These may be good. :) I love Harry Potter.

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. That whole series is the best for getting completely swept away in. Seriously. Check it out.

Outlander is definiately a great series to lose yourself in, and they're steeped in Scottish history and kilts! :D

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan is supposed to be very good, but I haven't had a chance to start it yet. Too many other reads in progress that I need to finish first.

If you want something fun and off beat and like scifi, the Xanth series by Piers Anthony is always a good call. The puns he includes are usually good for a few childish giggles.