Menu

What are some songs from your childhood/ teenage years that you love that would...

Well, considering I have a teenage daughter pretty much anything I would sing would embarrass her completely. :tongue_smilie:

I have one too! I keep randomly yelling 'SHE IS MY DAUGHTER' out in public! You ever seen a girl go from normal to BEAT red in less than 30 seconds?? Its so funny you can SEE her change color!!! :lol: It is SO fun!!

I don't know, but we were on the way home from church today, jammin along with Billy Joel singing:

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than die with the saints; the sinners are much more fun."

It struck me as not the best choice for that particular time.

I have one too! I keep randomly yelling 'SHE IS MY DAUGHTER' out in public! You ever seen a girl go from normal to BEAT red in less than 30 seconds?? Its so funny you can SEE her change color!!! :lol: It is SO fun!!

:lol::lol::lol:

That happened to me actually when dd at the talent night at our very conservative Christian Homeschool support group decided on the spur of the moment that she wanted to get up and sing too and sang Ace Frehley's New York Groove..... acapella! lol

"Oh, I've got a brand new pair of roller skates; you've got a brand new key..."

"And they called it puppy love..."

"If you want my body and you think I'm sexy..."

"If you see a faded sign by the side of the road that says 'Fifteen miles to the...' LOVE SHACK!!!"

:lol::lol::lol: I actually really like that Rod Stuart song. :p

How about Brass in the Pocket. :D "gonna use my arms, gonna use my legs, gonna use my style, gonna use my sidestep, gonna use my fingers, gonna use my my my imagination....." :p

:lol::lol::lol: I actually really like that Rod Stuart song. :p

How about Brass in the Pocket. :D "gonna use my arms, gonna use my legs, gonna use my style, gonna use my sidestep, gonna use my fingers, gonna use my my my imagination....." :p

Oh, that one was awful. And the way she sang it was, too. Of course, I think she sounded that way on everything. ;)

Anything by Barry White. "Ooooh, baby..." :D

And let's not forget Donna Summer: "Ooooh ... love to love ya, baby..."

There are songs that are embarrassing because they are simply awful, and then there are songs that are embarrassing because they are suggestive. I remember "Afternoon Delight." For the longest time I didn't realize what it was about, and even after I was told, I refused to believe it. I guess I thought they were going out for a picnic or something. :lol:

Anything by Barry White. "Ooooh, baby..." :D

And let's not forget Donna Summer: "Ooooh ... love to love ya, baby..."

There are songs that are embarrassing because they are simply awful, and then there are songs that are embarrassing because they are suggestive. I remember "Afternoon Delight." For the longest time I didn't realize what it was about, and even after I was told, I refused to believe it. I guess I thought they were going out for a picnic or something. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Me too! I didn't even realize what Afternoon Delight was about either until I saw that movie with Will Farrel in it where he plays that song and I finally "got it". lol Que va! lol

Oh gosh, I'm sure I embarrassed my mom plenty in public when i was a kid because I always loved music and would sing whatever song was running through my head.

I'm sure I must have sung The Joker outloud when I was a kid because it was so popular and always on the radio.... "You're the cutest thing I ever did see. Really love your peaches, want to shake your tree. Lovey-dovey, lovey-dovey, lovey-dovey all the time...." :lol:

LOL I used to watch the Sonny and Cher show when I was growing up and I always thought Cher was so glamorous. Then the 80's hit. :001_huh:

I watched it, too. That was back when everyone had their own "variety show." Sonny and Cher, The Carpenters, Donny and Marie, The Hudson Brothers...

"STOP. Collaborate and Listen...Ice is back with a brand new invention..."

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

"Now here's a little story I've got to tell

About three bad brothers you know so well

It started way back in history

With Adrock, M.C.A., and me - Mike D.

Been had a little horsy named Paul Revere

Just me and my horsy and a quart of beer

Riding across the land, kicking up sand

Sheriff's posse on my tail cause I'm in demand..." :p

Man, I'm gonna have to go listen to that one on YT now! hehehehe

For some reason, my children are mortified when I start singing "Sexyback" by Justin Timberlake. And apparently my dancing along with the song only heightens the humility. I do it often when they have friends in the car :D

ETA: That isn't from my teenage years though....I think "Ice Ice Baby" would rank up there though...lol.

Edited by Apryl H

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

"Now here's a little story I've got to tell

About three bad brothers you know so well

It started way back in history

With Adrock, M.C.A., and me - Mike D.

Been had a little horsy named Paul Revere

Just me and my horsy and a quart of beer

Riding across the land, kicking up sand

Sheriff's posse on my tail cause I'm in demand..." :p

Man, I'm gonna have to go listen to that one on YT now! hehehehe

Oh man, I'm going to have that running through my head all day now :tongue_smilie:

How about Van Halen's Running with the Devil, and Foreigner's Hot Blooded.

My kids are teens now. When I think back to what I listened to in the 70s and 80s, it gives me a great perspective on the insignificance of lyrics. I have chilled a lot on what my kids listen to, because I remember that we were really much more into the music and not the message.

:lol::lol::lol: Me too! I didn't even realize what Afternoon Delight was about either until I saw that movie with Will Farrel in it where he plays that song and I finally "got it". lol Que va! lol

Oh gosh, I'm sure I embarrassed my mom plenty in public when i was a kid because I always loved music and would sing whatever song was running through my head.

I'm sure I must have sung The Joker outloud when I was a kid because it was so popular and always on the radio.... "You're the cutest thing I ever did see. Really love your peaches, want to shake your tree. Lovey-dovey, lovey-dovey, lovey-dovey all the time...." :lol:

Ok, show of hands... Who else spent hours trying to figure out just that in the heck is the 'pompatous' of love? :tongue_smilie:

Bohemian Rhapsody. I do the whole 'Wayne's World' in the car bit, complete with hand gestures. The oldest joins in but the other two are like - ACK! Mom, stop!

I also had no clue about Afternoon Delight until I grew up. Nor did I listen closely to the Grease soundtrack. Wow...

Ha! Thank you for that! I totally laughed out loud. How about

"I like big butts and I cannot lie..."?

:iagree: This one definitely! And anything Paula Abdul. :tongue_smilie: So far dsis okay with me singing Prince songs, but I suspect that will change. And I have been pretty selective in which ones I listen to/sing when he is around.

My kids never get mortified....they like it.

We say we have Musical Tourettes in this family because you just never know when someone will break out in some song having to do with the situation we are in.....:D

My kids have been to all sorts of concerts....from Peter, Paul and Mary.....to Blue Oyster Cult....to the Hudson Valley Philharmonic.....to punk battle of the bands. We like music.....and we all bust into song.

Funniest was Ds , then 7, singing his part of our Passover service just like Angus Young. We about split our sides. :lol::lol::lol:

But, I guess if I had to pick one to embarrass with...it would be Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell.

"Oh, I've got a brand new pair of roller skates; you've got a brand new key..."

"And they called it puppy love..."

"If you want my body and you think I'm sexy..."

"If you see a faded sign by the side of the road that says 'Fifteen miles to the...' LOVE SHACK!!!"

:lol::lol:

"STOP. Collaborate and Listen...Ice is back with a brand new invention..."

:auto:

For some reason, my children are mortified when I start singing "Sexyback" by Justin Timberlake. And apparently my dancing along with the song only heightens the humility. I do it often when they have friends in the car :D

ETA: That isn't from my teenage years though....I think "Ice Ice Baby" would rank up there though...lol.

:D

So far they are young enough that they are not mortified and sing with me. It might not change in my family:001_smile: My mom, sister, and I all will sing as we are walking down the sidewalk, even when we were teens we sang with her. We have the attitude that it doesn't matter how you sound, singing it joyful, do it often! My mom never sang Love Shack loudly around my friends though, she was more a Beatles and Simon and Garfunkel singer.

My 12 year old cracked us up at Disney when he was about six or seven years old.

He loved Rockin' Roller Coaster and we went on it multiple times that trip. He would come off the RC singing, "Love in an Elevator!" very loudly! Or he would sing, "Dude looks like a lady!" Whichever song was playing during the ride. :lol:

Sadly, it's pretty near impossible to embarrass my daughter. Don't think I haven't tried! But she pretty much likes me, and we have a lot of things in common, and she's very clear on the fact that everyone has parents who are old and silly. So, since I'm (usually) at least a little less ridiculous than most parents she knows, she can't work up any embarrassment.

My son actually listens to some of the playlists I created on his own iPod, and we sing in the car together all the time. He's a little easier to embarrass in public, but mostly just because I'm singing at all, rather than because of the specific song.

It's sad, because there are certainly days when I've love to make them blush.

My kids are teens now. When I think back to what I listened to in the 70s and 80s, it gives me a great perspective on the insignificance of lyrics. I have chilled a lot on what my kids listen to, because I remember that we were really much more into the music and not the message.

Interesting perspective! When we think about what was going through our heads listening to the lyrics, it makes dh and I more strict :D

Nor did I listen closely to the Grease soundtrack. Wow...

:iagree: I didn't really get the Grease songs till I was over 30! (Yes, I'm slow!)

But, I guess if I had to pick one to embarrass with...it would be Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell.

That's great! I was thinking Paradise by the Dashboard Lights! Of course, dd's have only heard it once, at a wedding, and yes dh and I could still sing it together, and yes, they had NO idea what it meant, and yes, they laughed at us. But at 17 I certainly knew what that one meant.

We are very careful abut music in our house.

We frequently are crazy, especially dh, so there is not much left for us to embarrass our kids with :lol:

Anything Weird Al. (Though I don't try to embarrass my son, it's more me being annoying at home lol)

-"You can even cut a tin can with it, but you wouldn't want to!" (the B-52's song mentioned, which I JUST heard last night at the grocery store, reminded me of that one)

-"A used, pink bathrobe, a rare mint snowglobe, a Smurf TV tray, that I bought on eBay"

-"Meet the new sauce, same as the old sauce"

-"I wanna bowl with the gangstas..."

Add to this that I make up my own lyrics and my poor son isn't going to know what any songs are. Luckily at the bowling alley we sometimes hear "The Safety Dance" because before that he only knew it as: "We can dance, we can dance, but first you need to put on your pants" (as a way of telling him he needed to get dressed)