Menu

Silly Math Question....(or things are getting too serious around here)

What is 1/2 of a 6 shelf book case  

1. 1. What is 1/2 of a 6 shelf book case

• 1 for dh, 5 for me
    • 3 for both
    • obligatory other
    • kilts, shopping carts, math, and crockpots!

ETA: MULTIPLE ANSWERS ALLOWED

I have a math question.

If you have a completely empty 6 shelf bookcase that you agreed to share 50/50 with your dh does that mean

3 shelves for him and 3 shelves for you

or

1 shelf for him, 5 for you?

We are having a disagreement (in a fun, teasing way) He thinks I am not very good at fractions as I think 1/2 is 5 shelves for me:D

Oh, I am going to make this a poll.

(and yes, I do really know he is right, but have fun with me!:lol:)

Edited by Northwest_Mama

Other.....

Since no one wants the bottom shelf, that leaves 5. (and you can use the bottom since he doesn't want it anyways.)

With 5 to split, he would get two, and you get two. THere is one left over that he doesn't want, so you get that one too.

So, to me you would get two (the equal split of 4) and the two he didn't want.

He can have two.....unless, he doesn't really want those two either, and then you can have it ALL. :D

Are your shelves for homeschooling books? That makes a big difference!

Some books are in the grey area. If they are mentioned in The Well Educated Mind are they homeschooling books? Books that homeschool mom, or relax mom so that she can then teach?

Other.....

Since no one wants the bottom shelf, that leaves 5. (and you can use the bottom since he doesn't want it anyways.)

With 5 to split, he would get two, and you get two. THere is one left over that he doesn't want, so you get that one too.

So, to me you would get two (the equal split of 4) and the two he didn't want.

He can have two.....unless, he doesn't really want those two either, and then you can have it ALL. :D

I like you reasoning:D

If you have a completely empty 6 shelf bookcase that you agreed to share 50/50 with your dh does that mean

It means that an alien has invaded my body. No way in the world would I agree to share a completely empty 6 shelf bookcase, with ANYONE. Not happening. :D

Edited by Maverick_Mom

I voted "other." The only bOOks your husband should be inetrested in don't live on a wooden bookshelf, so you get all *6* shelves. Buy yourself a fancy bOOkshelf and wear it to distract him, and then get to work filling up the bookshelf.

:confused: puzzled by this whole "sharing bookshelves" thing. DH's comic books live in those white cardboard boxes... his Bible is in his car. Every available shelf and flat surface in the house is now free for my/school books. :D

It means that an alien has invaded my body. No way in the world would I agree to share a completely empty 6 shelf bookcase, with ANYONE. Not happening. :D

I had to find a way to get it assembled and moved up stairs. He also had to move a couple of big pieces of furniture to get it some room.:tongue_smilie:

Half of 6 shelves definitely works out to 5 for you and 1 for him! Doesn't he know the new math your dh? :p

You would think with the PhD and be a math/science person that he would be better at math then his wife with only a BA in English Lit who barely passed Math.

I voted 3 each, but books that he might be interested in that are yours should be shelved in his section.

I will try this next when he makes me capitulate to giving his 3 shelves.

I voted "other." The only bOOks your husband should be inetrested in don't live on a wooden bookshelf, so you get all *6* shelves. Buy yourself a fancy bOOkshelf and wear it to distract him, and then get to work filling up the bookshelf.

:confused: puzzled by this whole "sharing bookshelves" thing. DH's comic books live in those white cardboard boxes... his Bible is in his car. Every available shelf and flat surface in the house is now free for my/school books. :D

:lol::rofl:

I love it!

I also like that only 3 of 34 people thought that meant 3 shelves for him. I will show him the poll tonight when he gets home, and the one shelf in the middle of the bookcase that is still empty.

I think I have enough to fill all 5 other shelves today:D

I just went to look at the bookshelf (It is only 9:40 here) and he has filled 2 shelves already! The top 2!

I think my dh might be a bigger opponent that I originally thought. I might have to go buy a new b00kshelf after all....