Menu

"Cheating" on your church....cold feet? lack of commitment?

So tonight was the new member session at the church I decided to join. It's a UCC church, so theologically it's mostly a fit. I like the pastor well enough. He gives good sermons, but he doesn't have a hugely dynamic personality (not a criticism, he just seems quiet). THe congregation is a bit older than I would like, and there are not many kids (I think 2-3 in each of my kids' respective age groups) but my boys like it and can't wait to go each week (we had to miss today because my back went out and they were really upset). The church has only 190 members, but manages to do a fair amount of outreach and helping in the community. And they do seem to have a lot of areas that I could help in, and I want to be able to contribute without dealing with a lot of "committees" and "already in place" groups of women/people who are set in their ways.... Another issue is that since we moved, the church is a good 30 minutes away, which is a lot of gas money and time.

Anyway, I read on here about Evangelical Lutheran, and after checking out its website, I liked what I read. And there is a rather large EL church just 10 minutes away..less actually. It has 1500 members and lots of families.

Part of me wants to check it out...but new members are officially "joining" the church next week at my UCC church...and the boys really like it...and I like their Open and Affirming Stance. But I still want to check out this other church.

I'm being silly, right?

Edited by Halcyon

I don't think you're being silly. I think it would be worse for you never to have investigated the Lutheran church, if you're interested in it. The UCC shouldn't be rushing you into joining, anyway. (Not saying they are, just that it should be a decision for when YOU are ready, that's all.):grouphug: All the best to you as you discern.:grouphug:

I don't think you're being silly. I think it would be worse for you never to have investigated the Lutheran church, if you're interested in it. The UCC shouldn't be rushing you into joining, anyway. (Not saying they are, just that it should be a decision for when YOU are ready, that's all.):grouphug: All the best to you as you discern.:grouphug:

:iagree: We are members of a church that we are feeling might not be the best fit for us. It's hard to walk away and not feel like you're "cheating." So, we haven't. But, if I were advising myself, I'd say go check out what else is out there, so I'll say the same to you.

:iagree: We are members of a church that we are feeling might not be the best fit for us. It's hard to walk away and not feel like you're "cheating." So, we haven't. But, if I were advising myself, I'd say go check out what else is out there, so I'll say the same to you.

We are feeling the same here. Not sure about staying at our church but our options are limited since we go on Sat evenings because DH works on Sundays.

It can't hurt to look.

Thanks all. I guess I should have thought about this earlier, as the Pastor believes we are joining on Sunday (they only have new members join every 3 months or so....)

If you aren't possitive, 3 months isn't that long. I would wait.:grouphug:

I would wait. Your back is out now maybe you should just rest next week. ;) Check out the other church for a few weeks before you decide. Your kids may love it too. You can be honest with your pastor and other church members if they ask. Many people check out different churches before settling on one.

In agreement with others... if you're not 100% positive, wait and check out the other church. We are regular attenders of an ELCA church and will probably join this fall. (Of course, here in the midwest, there's never a Lutheran church far away!!)

We actually thought about joining a while back, but I wasn't 100% certain yet. Ours accepts new members about quarterly as well... and I realized that we really wanted to be sure.

Agreement with all those saying to wait.

We joined a church a bit hastily once. We thought it was a good fit... it wasn't. Leaving was very difficult because we were fairly new to the church when we moved on.

If you are intrigued by a different sort of church, you should check it out. Who knows, your kids may like the other church better.

I don't think you are being silly.

But my thoughts are:

1. why do you have to join right now? Can't you do what you like with the church without being a member?

2. individual church "membership" is not Biblical. You are a member of the body of Christ, period, not a "member" of a single brick/mortar church.

So tonight was the new member session at the church I decided to join. It's a UCC church, so theologically it's mostly a fit. I like the pastor well enough. He gives good sermons, but he doesn't have a hugely dynamic personality (not a criticism, he just seems quiet). THe congregation is a bit older than I would like, and there are not many kids (I think 2-3 in each of my kids' respective age groups) but my boys like it and can't wait to go each week (we had to miss today because my back went out and they were really upset). The church has only 190 members, but manages to do a fair amount of outreach and helping in the community. And they do seem to have a lot of areas that I could help in, and I want to be able to contribute without dealing with a lot of "committees" and "already in place" groups of women/people who are set in their ways.... Another issue is that since we moved, the church is a good 30 minutes away, which is a lot of gas money and time.

Anyway, I read on here about Evangelical Lutheran, and after checking out its website, I liked what I read. And there is a rather large EL church just 10 minutes away..less actually. It has 1500 members and lots of families.

Part of me wants to check it out...but new members are officially "joining" the church next week at my UCC church...and the boys really like it...and I like their Open and Affirming Stance. But I still want to check out this other church.

I'm being silly, right?

''

I don't think you're being silly at all.. .especially since the differences important. Having kids around and a largish church would be important to me though.