Menu

Please educate me on coconut oil

I've been reading about the health benefits of coconut oil, but I don't know what to do with it.

Do you cook with it like you would any other oil (like olive, for example?)

I've read that sometimes it's a liquid and sometimes a solid. What's the difference, and what is preferable (and why)?

Where do you buy it?

Do you use the unflavored as well as the flavored? And does the packaging (bottle?) indicate whether it is flavored or not?

Finally, please share your favorite brand, and where you buy it.

I've been reading about the health benefits of coconut oil, but I don't know what to do with it.

Do you cook with it like you would any other oil (like olive, for example?)

I've read that sometimes it's a liquid and sometimes a solid. What's the difference, and what is preferable (and why)?

Where do you buy it?

Do you use the unflavored as well as the flavored? And does the packaging (bottle?) indicate whether it is flavored or not?

Finally, please share your favorite brand, and where you buy it.

There is a lot of information out there about the benefits - here's one page:

http://coconut-info.com/

I use it the same way I'd use any other oil - however, for deep frying, it does bubble up *a lot* and I've had my fryer overflow because I put too much in it, so that's something to be aware of.

It goes from solid to liquid based on temperature - in the summer, it's usually liquid or almost liquid in my pantry - in winter, solid.

I buy mine from Tropical Traditions (their brand), The Green Polka Dot Box, or Amazon (Nutiva from both of those places).

The one that tastes like coconut is the virgin oil - the unflavored is more refined. The least refined of the unflavored would be expeller pressed. I use the virgin in baking and recipes that the flavor isn't an issue, and the expeller pressed in sauteeing and cooking where I don't want a coconut flavor.

Do you have facebook?

http://www.facebook.com/GoldCoconutOil?ref=ts

If there is ONE thing in my diet I won't go without, it is coconit oil. Everyone in my family feels differently (better!) on it. Not only that, have had several concussions, life altering, and dementia/alzheimer runs in the family. It is WONDERFUL for the brain.

I no longer buy any oils other than olive and coconit butter. We use these solely in our cooking. Toasted sesame oil is used sparingly as a flavor additive.

Not much help for cooking with it, but it is a wonderful moisturizer. I bought mine at Whole Foods and use it for my daily moisturizer. It has made my skin lovely. I was worried as an oil how it would cause my combination skin to react, but it has been great. And for $9 an organic jar it will last a crazy amount of time for such a quality moisturizer.

With how hot it is here my oil is completely liquid after buying it solid. It varies in and out of the two states based on the temperature and it is not suppose to be refrigerated.

I guess I need to start investigating cooking with it as well.

I bought mine at Trader Joes and it has stayed solid throughout the year, but I always have the air conditioner on during the summer. I use it in the cashew milk drink from the Three Day Cleanse book to keep me from snacking at night. Recently I just found it on amazon and like the taste better.