Menu

Looking for ideas for using audio books

I was wondering how some of you make use of audio books on a regular basis. I have 2-year-old and 4-year-old boys and would love to start listening to some audio books with them. We did listen to Charlotte's Web on a longer road trip a while ago which worked well, but I'm wondering how I might use them on a more regular basis. We live in a small town, so most of our car trips are 5 minutes or less, which doesn't really seem like enough time to start an audio book. Do I have the boys (at least the 4-year-old) just sit and listen with me? They sit well when I read to them, but I don't know if they'll do so well with audio books. Do I just have a book playing while they play with their toys? Most of the time they are talking (to themselves or each other) while they play, so I'm concerned that either the audio book will get in the way of their play or that they won't pay attention at all. Other suggestions? Thanks!

Welcome to the boards!

We primarily listen in the car. There are a number of audiobooks that are relatively short. Junie B Jones (which I hate to read, and I think is a nightmare for beginning readers) is hysterical. Roald Dahl books have very definite chapters, and are great stories, well narrated. My kids love getting into the car and picking up the story where we left off, and have for several years.

We don't really have car trips here.

What I do is put in a audio book around breakfast or lunch. I make sure that the kids have everything they need and then start it. Once I'm finished lunch I start doing kitchen chores.

How long the boys listen depend on interest.

Sometimes after lunch they jut might lounge around in our computer chairs (our computers are in the kitchen and we have big comfortable computer chairs) once they are done lunch and keep on listening.

I started putting them on at bedtime years ago when they would want more but I couldn't read aloud any longer. 11 years later, we all pop one in at bedtime now.

We are never in the car for very long either, plus, no cd player anymore.

During the holidays we have traditional things we listen to while we make our handmade gifts, Cinnamon Bear is one.

Ds5 mostly listens to audio books on my iPhone. He listens in bed when he first wakes up, and while playing with toys. We have found that an amazing amount sinks in, even when he seems distracted - the same applies to bedtime stories. Right now his favourite thing to do is to put my iPhone in a backpack and ride his bike while listening to an audio book.

My 4 and 6 yo listen off my ipad to books after they've been tucked into bed. That way they don't have to wear earbuds. My 10 boy listens primarily when he cleans his room. If the book is good his room gets DEEP cleaned:)

My 17 dd listens to books as she drives herself to work. My other children cannot stand to listen to audiobooks- no matter the book. For that matter, my husband despises audiobooks as well.