Menu

If you could live in a FOREIGN COUNTRY....

Switzerland. We had a possibility for dh's job a year or so ago (didn't happen), and the more I researched it the more impressed I was. The land is beautiful, there are many different kinds of areas (urban/rural/suburban) but all pretty close together; they have lots of public transportation; most impressive of all is their history of believing in freedom and resistance to the European Union.

Belgium (dh is Belgian). Though your Spanish wouldn't help you much there, lol.

I loved Spain when I visited it. My sil (dh's sis) & her dh (who is Spanish) lived in Spain for awhile. Prior to that, both had lived in the US for many years. These are both people who are from Europe & were raised there (through high school), so they were definitely used to the cultural differences. But, after being in the US for so many years, even they had a hard transition being in Spain. One of the big things they talked about was the lack of 'service' (getting a phone line, getting things like furniture delivered, etc...) compared to here. Nothing was 'easy' or resolved w/ one phone call, or one service visit, or.... It's not like it was a huge deal & they enjoyed their time in Spain (and her dh's family is still all there, so they even had relatives around), but rather that the differences led to lots of constant, small irritations, I suppose. I've heard similar comments about much of western Europe in general (even from my in-laws, who maintain an apt. in Belgium even though they live here). Figured I'd mention it for what it's worth.

I'd actually love to live in the Dolomite Mtns. in northern Italy. Dh would happily move to Canada because he loves cold weather.

I think it would be awesome to live in the land of my ancestors, which is the British Isles. Most of my family came from England, Ireland and Wales. I think I'd prefer to live in England, or possibly Ireland. Either way, the rest of the region would be close enough to visit often, as would be the whole continent of Europe. I've been to France, Denmark, Sweden and Holland and they were amazing adventures. I can't imagine being able to go to these places on short notice like I would if I were living in the UK.

Also, my body doesn't tolerate heat well, and I've always thought it is because of my ancestry. I have a feeling I'd be perfectly happy in that environment.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Ireland or maybe England.

Someplace green. Someplace where they speak English. And most definitely someplace cooler.

(We are near Phoenix, AZ. It is beyond hot and will stay this way until Halloween or so. I would love to look at something green and cool and wet.)

I'd be happy to travel with you! Maybe we could get a group discount on plane fare (or maybe even the QE2 or the Queen Mary 2). :D

Iceland. Finland. Denmark. Holland.

by the Iceland post! I'm surprised (not in a bad way, just surprised is all) that someone would suggest it! My brother-in-law is from Iceland! I would love to go visit there (especially during the summer!), but I don't think that I could tolerate the dark, dark winters there!

Canada and Norway frequently top the list of livable countries per the UN Human Development Index. Norway is dramatically beautiful as depicted in books. But I would prefer Canada because of the lack of a language barrier.

I have seriously attempted to persuade my husband to immigrate to Canada for numerous reasons, but his tenure in Ann Arbor, MI as a teen convinced him he never wants to have to shovel snow again.

I choose Austria- the Tirol region near Italy. We just love the mountains and the people.

For you however (since you speak Spanish, not German), I would choose Central America. I have a total fascination with Argentina and Ecuador, though admittedly I've never been. I have been to Belize and Mexico and the poverty is stunning. I worry about your safety. Are Americans being kidnaped there like they are in Mexico?

Margaret

I'd move to Greece in a heartbeat. A place high on a hill over the sea with fresh fish and veggies and that glorious light/sunshine glistening on the water. Heaven.

But, I am pretty content where I am I have to say. But a gal can dream!

Mary

I'm horrible at languages, and have a driving need to talk! So for me it would have to be an English-speaking country. New Zealand, maybe?

Geez. What's so good about New Zealand? Oh yeah, they've got rain.

;)

Rosie the Aussie- who thinks Azerbaijan must be a cool place. It's a cool name anyway!

I'd live in Germany. Half of my relatives live there, and I liked it when we lived there when I was a child, plus we'd all learn to speak German (my relatives don't speak English). I like the food, which is a huge consideration for me since when I think about going anywhere, the first thing I mull over is the vittles.

No-one chose an African country...

I lived in Holland for a year and I'd go back in a heartbeat. I enjoy the culture, can speak the language and of course, it's a 1st world country with all the social benefits that includes.

Compared to South Africa, it is a crowded place, though. I had a bet with someone at the time to prove this and we went to a beach in October on a weekday at two in the morning and yes! there were people there. Where I came from you could spend hours on the beach in the middle of the day without seeing anyone. Of course, these days you might not want to for fear of crime.

My sisters live in Ireland and England. We were going to move to England (close to London) at the start of the year, but that's fallen through. I've learned that one needs to focus on the positive aspects of where you are and appreciate that there are positives and negatives everywhere.

Things to consider:

Do you want to live in a foreign language?

How many creature comforts do you want?

Does it matter to you to be on a similar time zone?

Just how culturally different do you want the place to be?

Right now, Scotland sounds good....

Laura

Now that I have a couple countries under my belt, as it were, Laura makes a good point.

It is a far cry from being a tourist to actually living in another country. It is amazing that somewhere that sounds great and was a great vacation can be a difficult place to live.

That being said-I think my dream is still a couple years in the UK. And-it would be a pretty good base for travel in Europe!

There are many Indians where we live right now, and so I make lots of Indian food, watch Bollywood movies, which are the movies in the cinemas, and buy Indian clothes. I love Indian people and their culture.

I've lived in and visited many places, so India is next on my list. I'd like to live in Egypt too, and some western African country. There are lots of west Africans here, and, again, I make lots of African food and buy African clothes. Africans are wonderful people too. They know how to party in a family-friendly way.

I would probably pick somewhere in Northern Europe (Belgium, England, France, Denmark, Sweden, etc), Australia, or China.

I currently live in Italy and while I love it, I don't think I would live here again. I guess it would kind of depend on where at in Italy. I absolutely love Rome (we are in Naples, definitely not someplace I'd recommend), but this part of Italy is so far from everything else in Europe. It makes travel (especially with 4 kids) difficult.