Menu

If you could live in a FOREIGN COUNTRY....

New Mexico.

JUST KIDDING!!!

(Um, sorry, I couldn't help myself.)

Kristine--in southern Virginia, where they speak a foreign language...

I used to get New Mexico magazine (love it there!) and they had a great bit at the end called, One of Our 50 is Missing. Some of the stories in there were shockingly funny. Catalogue companies wanting to charge international rate to ship clothes, trouble booking plan tickets (you will need a passport), you name it.

:lol::lol::lol:

Well, dh and I are really happy where we are; how we chose the UAE:

1. we wanted to spend some time in a Muslim-majority country, particularly for our kids

2. we both know Arabic

3. Dh's family is close

4. we wanted to "make a difference" (does that sound corny)

5. dh grew up in the region

6. my academic area of interest has always been here, even pre-marriage and pre-Islam (lol)

I feel very fortunate to be "living the dream" as it were, but it has been really difficult on my family. That would be my only caveat to recommending living overseas. Of course, dh's family was in the same boat when we were living in the States, so I guess in our case someone is always suffering. :(

France. Northern, western or central but preferably near Paris because I like the city.

If France fell through then Ireland or Scotland. The Faroe Islands sound wonderful, too (although I think there are less people living on all of the islands than within 5 miles of me)

Maybe Buenos Aires, and I've heard Chile is wonderfully welcoming.

Wouldn't it be great to live in Italy or Greece and be so close to ancient history? I have a good friend who owns a resort on Corfu and he is always telling me how wonderful it would be for us to live there and help him run the resort. However, I have heard that it is very difficult for foreigners to really ever feel at home there. I am almost certain I do not want to find out for sure unless I HAVE to, but I do daydream sometimes...

I also know a woman who takes her kids back to Tokyo with her for 6 months every year. I have always, always wanted to spend some time there perfecting my Japanese and playing Pachinko... I know many people spend time in Japan from other countries, and I have never heard anything bad about living there. Oh! I know another woman who lived in Singapore during high school because her mother set up business there. Her mother is still there, and loves it dearly. However, I know a couple from the Philippines and they will not even bring back their children to visit their family because they hate it so much.

Wow. I didnt help at all. Sorry :sad:

Wait! I forgot all about places like Egypt or Saudi Arabia. Dubai?

What about Africa?

:willy_nilly: Too many places to choose from!

Scotland. I've never been *anywhere* (except Canada), but dh's family on his dad's side are from there. Everything I read about the Scottish sounds *exactly* like his family, & they're GREAT. And if you marry one, you are one. Well...they treat me like I belong to them, but I'm still snarky. Maybe one day they'll rub off on me. ;)

Mil's family is Swedish, & they're nice, too, but you can tell a difference even between her & them. She's lived w/ fil for 30 yrs. She's Scottish now, lol.

Plus it's beautiful.

Anyway, from what I've read, we couldn't live there even w/ dh's documented heritage--it's too many generations removed. He'd have to have some kind of company sponsorship or something. I don't see that as being likely. Sad, huh?

Ireland or maybe England.

Someplace green. Someplace where they speak English. And most definitely someplace cooler.

(We are near Phoenix, AZ. It is beyond hot and will stay this way until Halloween or so. I would love to look at something green and cool and wet.)

Dh has family in Scotland and Israel and I have family in Norway. We are both the grandchild of immigrants on at least one side. So any of those 3 countries and Ireland. I lived in Israel and loved it, Dh has made several visits there. The entire family wants Ireland. The maybe countries would be Australia, New Zealand, or England.

Fun thread :thumb up:

My first choice would be France. Not sure where though as there are many great regions. Love the people. Love the culture. Love the language.

Paris...our absolute favorite city. Would love to spend more time there exploring the back streets and such.

Cherbourg...(Normandy region) Love it there. We have dear friends who live there. The rain and over cast skies would probably get to some people, but I love it. Course, I loved living near Seattle for the reason too.

Arles...beautiful Roman city in Provence.

My second choice would be Oxford, England...my second favorite city.

France. Paris. Maybe Provence (with weekend trips to Paris!). But, I am biased as I have degrees in French lang & lit from years ago and have always loved France. The whole family loves Paris, probably because of my bias...or not, it is a great city. Just thinking of the museums and street cafes makes me sigh. lol

If not France, probably England. The countryside is just gorgeous. Or Switzerland.

Fun question. :) Good luck with your search -- what a wonderful experience!

Thanks for all the responses!!!!!

It sounds like a lot of you would pick English-speaking countries. Is that coincidence or is the language a factor in choosing?

I have a degree in Spanish and speak it pretty fluently and I have to admit that it is factoring into the decision somewhat (should it? Or should I just throw a dart at the map?). So we have been looking a lot at places like Costa Rica, Guatemala, Ecuador, Chile, Argentina, Spain, etc.

But I am also intrigued by France and Italy. Hmmm.....

Definitely not France (been there, done that--yuckkkk!!!!), Love England, except the weather, same for Canada (Quebec), except the weather. If I could be a snowbird, Canada half the year, Florida the other half, I'd do that. Otherwise I just read Denmark is the happiest country in the world--who knew?

France. Paris. Maybe Provence (with weekend trips to Paris!). But, I am biased as I have degrees in French lang & lit from years ago and have always loved France. The whole family loves Paris, probably because of my bias...or not, it is a great city. Just thinking of the museums and street cafes makes me sigh. lol

I'm with you. Weekend place in Paris for when all the tourists head to Provence. Perfect.:D

Italy, first choice, Tuscany or north of Rome.

Norway, Scotland, Czech Republic, Germany, or France. Food, history, and personal interest are factors in each choice. I lived in England and found the food barely palatable. Truthfully, we have a possibility of relo'ing to Europe and it's exciting and a scary consideration.

There isn't really a country I wouldn't want to live in, but some of the ones I'd really like to spend a year or two in are Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, China, Mongolia, Thailand, Bhutan, Nepal, India, Pakistan, Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan, Iran, Russia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and lots more. Anywhere in Europe, especially Spain or Eastern Europe, would be fine, as would South America, and many parts of Africa.

I like to learn new languages, so a non-English speaking country wouldn't be a concern, but a country where Arabic or Russian or Spanish are spoken would be easier.

My top 2 choices are Scotland and Israel

Scotland because of the beauty and amazing amount of history, culture, etc - and they speak "English" :)

Israel because of its significance in history and our world today. THe rich culture, heritage and history present there. Its proximity to amazing amounts of history, lands, peoples, cultures. Maybe I could finally learn the language!

Well, most of the rest of France would be fine, too.

I wish I could live in all my favorite regions of France simultaneously, in fact.

Have I ever told any of you all about how I used to live in Paris? Because I did, you know.

And I'd move back tomorrow, if I could. *wistful sigh* :nopity:

Things to consider:

Do you want to live in a foreign language?

How many creature comforts do you want?

Does it matter to you to be on a similar time zone?

Just how culturally different do you want the place to be?

Right now, Scotland sounds good....

Laura

Things to consider:

Do you want to live in a foreign language?

How many creature comforts do you want?

Does it matter to you to be on a similar time zone?

Just how culturally different do you want the place to be?

Right now, Scotland sounds good....

Laura

These are great questions for me to think about!! Thanks!

Belgium most likely though I would settle for many other countries. I lived in Belgium for three years ending in 2006 and loved it. Not only me but both girls answered Belgium when asked recently which place they liked living the most. (And they have lived in nice places- foothills of the Rockies overlooking the rest of Albuquerque, now island on Atlantic coast of Florida)