Menu

Roku [sorta a s/o of streaming Netflix thread]

We have a Roku. We keep hearing everyone say how much they LOOOOOVE theirs. We stream Netflix thru it--I like that better than streaming it through our Wii--but other than that....

What are we missing?

We've looked at Hulu, but they don't seem to have anything that Netflix doesn't have [we haven't tried Plus; we'd rather not pay more for our screen entertainment].

Hubby would like to get news, but we haven't found any news "channels".

We originally bought it hoping we'd be able to stream the football play-off games when my family was here in January, but no such luck.

What are we missing??

well, we like the Ted talks channel a lot. And we do use Hulu plus, as we don't have cable and are not able to watch prime time tv very often. So we use hulu plus to watch Bones, House, Parenthood, etc. We rent movies with Amazon Instant Play fairly often....for instance a lot of the kids movies are a week long rental for 1.99. Stuff like that.

We buy current tv shows through Amazon. My dh gave me Amazon Prime for Christmas so we stream shows through that too. We just recently bought our first flat screen tv so we bought an antenna for it. We plug it in once in awhile to watch local channels.

I have no clue...my husband (tech obsessed) got a 'free' one from a coworker so put it on our tv...ugh. just one more fancy controller for me to have to dig out from under the bed. Then, he comes home and has one for our main TV (we just have two) and said he got it in lieu of the new walking shoes he asked for...ugh! We are on a tight budget and he will get a new Roku in lieu of walking shoes?? Granted, his walking shoes are fine, the puppy just nibbled on one corner :) But, all these new techie things are just one more 'thing' I could do without. I have learned to go to "Plex" and "Amazon" where (since we're Prime members) there are lots of movies/tv shows available without commercials...I was able to watch some mysteries the other night that I really liked...after I figured out how to use the thing.

We don't do netflix, we do hulu plus. Hulu plus is good if you are replacing your DVR and cable. So, I can watch Revenge on our TV the day after it is on, or if life has gotten busy 6 weeks later.

We sometimes rent movies through Prime. There is TED and though I havent looked yet I heard you can also get Khan academy.

We don't do netflix, we do hulu plus. Hulu plus is good if you are replacing your DVR and cable. So, I can watch Revenge on our TV the day after it is on, or if life has gotten busy 6 weeks later.

We sometimes rent movies through Prime. There is TED and though I havent looked yet I heard you can also get Khan academy.

OH yes, how could I forget Khan Academy??? There have been a few nights I was up nursing the youngest and learned all about genetics, lol.

Huh, Khan Academy. My dh heard about them and is really interested. So if I want prime time shows, I can use Hulu Plus [we don't have cable/satellite anymore, just Netflix and Amazon Prime]. That's good to know.

But no one knows of a way to get news?

Huh, Khan Academy. My dh heard about them and is really interested. So if I want prime time shows, I can use Hulu Plus [we don't have cable/satellite anymore, just Netflix and Amazon Prime]. That's good to know.

But no one knows of a way to get news?

I'm considering a subscription to hulu plus but I'm pretty happy with just hulu.

for news we use our antenna. We've never had pay tv so we just watch through our little house tv (and digital converter from a few years ago). Otherwise, the internet (my facebook feed is filled with tons of local news sources) and listening to NPR is where I get the rest of my news.