Menu

In 5th, how many days a week are you scheduling History and Science?

Halcyon

I am having trouble fitting either subject in less than 5 days. My older reads so ewhat slowly, and there is quite a lot of reading in both subjects.

Eta: i am scheduling an hour a day right now.....a lot of that is reading.....

Edited by Halcyon

Hmmm. We are using human odyssey as our spine, and then oxford's ancient world and kingfisher as supplements. We are also doing a timeline and narrations and outlining....

We are technically starting 6th grade, but what you are planning sounds close to what we are doing. CPO (but we are doing Earth), K-12 HO, Oxford (but we are doing medieval as well as ancients), book of centuries etc.

We are doing both history and science each day instead of alternating. We tried alternating last year and it didn't work well for us.

ETA: We aren't outlining in science or history--at least not right now. She is doing plenty of that in WWS. I would rather spend the time in history on the book of centuries, extra reading and discussion. In science, I would rather spend the time on the skills sheets, extra reading and discussion.

Edited by Hilltop Academy

Hmmm. We are using human odyssey as our spine, and then oxford's ancient world and kingfisher as supplements. We are also doing a timeline and narrations and outlining....

We will be doing 7th, but still similar to what you are doing. I am planning on doing History 4 days per week, probably at least an hour a day (this includes mapwork, timelines, supplemental reading, outlining), and then we will be reading historical fiction in addition.

Science will be more like 1.5 hours 2 days a week.

I am having trouble fitting either subject in less than 5 days. My older reads so ewhat slowly, and there is quite a lot of reading in both subjects.

Eta: i am scheduling an hour a day right now.....a lot of that is reading.....

We switch weeks. I started out my 5th grader last year doing History MWF and Science on TR. He said that drove him nuts from the lack of continuity, and he suggested we alternate weeks.

That is what we now do, with slightly longer time spent each day on those subjects. On A - week, we focus on history (and grammar/Latin/Writing more heavily) and on B- week we focus on Science (and math/German/other skills/logic) more heavily. We do still do a bit of math during A week, and some writing during B week, but not as much.

That causes a little scheduling creativity on my end, as most things that I don't create myself are designed under an assumption that you run a 36-week school year and do the subject every week, neither of which is true in our case (we ran 42 weeks this past calendar year, and every other week gives us 21 weeks, give or take, *if* I care about finishing a level in a year or less). How easy that is to do depends upon the specific curriculum, your kid, and your goals.

I do have to say that the continuity issue has been resolved, and we don't fight to fit in "the big two" in one day. In the balance, it is working pretty well.

We will be doing history 2x per week and science 2x per week....each 1 1/2 hours. Our extra history reading will probably be 5 days with scheduled Hx time for writing, outlines, timelines, maps etc.

Doing LCC/MP so this year that will be 1 day each of classical history, Christian studies, science, and geography. We will do extra science on Fridays (BFSU), plus nature journals (my goal is to encourage spontaneous use of these, and have occasional "wild days"). There are a couple read alouds in our afternoon basket that are science / nature related.

Can you cut back on the reading? Maybe get a few audio books instead or read to him? You seem to want to spend less time on it, but there is a lot of reading ... you are the teacher - I modify for my slow reader all the time. ;)

ETA: I guess that is 2-3 days a week for science, and 2-3 days for history/geography.

I was also feeling angst about scheduling history and science - the day was getting longer - so I'm going to try a History Week/Science Week tradeoff as a couple of others have mentioned. We'll cover the same amount of material, just with more focus and depth, I think, and without feeling rushed to finish history on one day so we can get science in the next. My big mantra this year is to relax, and don't feel rushed - go at a pace that allows for discussion & making connnections, not that makes me pressure us to go on to the next thing just to get through it all. I'm hoping this schedule helps with that.

So I'm thinking this will look approximately like this: History week, 4 afternoons for 1.5-2 hours each day, covering history readings 2 days a week, and one day focused on geography and the 4th focused on artists or composers of the time period. Science week will be readings on subjects of interest (currently entomology), BFSU lessons, and finding and developing a science fair project.

We'll see how it goes! We start up Aug 20 after vacation.

We do science and history in two-week rotations: two weeks of science, then two weeks of history. Each subjects gets 20 weeks of instruction, which I consider adequate for 5th grade, and my kids do a lot of science and history reading and activities outside of their formal study, anyway.

Tara

For 5th grade, my dd read either history or science daily for at least an hour. Once a week, she spent about 3 hours on science doing research, a lab and writing the lab report with her best friend and lab partner. She researched and wrote one short newspaper-style paper a week for history; plus we spent about an hour a week in history discussion. The lab, the research and the discussion were the best parts of the week. It is where the real learning took place.

One exception to this policy is that we skipped history when we were working on a literature unit. We took breaks for a couple of weeks throughout the year as needed to refresh ourselves with a beautiful collection of literature.

Edited by Karen in CO

It is hard because the day does seem to get long with doing them daily, but unfortunately I just get so frustrated with doing history 3 x a week and than science 2 times a week or something like that. It just gets confusing and I don't like all the days in between of not doing the subject, so it works better for us to do these daily. We just have short assignments. Also, my son is in 5th grade and is able to do some things more independently.

When he was younger and could not do as much independently it worked well for us to spend 2-4 weeks doing science and than stopping science and spending a few weeks doing history. Now, it's harder because there is more material to cover. So, we just do shorter assignments so we can do it daily and I assign somethings independent.

One option I am going to try this year is just set a time limit for science and history and we do as much as we can in that time and what we get done we get done and what we don't we will pick up the next day. I am going to start with just 30 minutes for each at the beginning of our year and gradually increase it to 45 as our year progresses. That is almost 4 hours for the week and seems good.

Whenever we do school with the motto of "Slow and Steady Wins the Race" we seem to do better and get more done!

Edited by Nancy Ann

If you're asking about science, here is mostly what I just sent to WendyK:

I used Classiquest Biology as a framework. Instead of the assigned reading for the week, I gave my dd the list of topics for the week (from the textbook). She researched them on her own in our science books and on the internet always using more than one source and never relying on Wikipedia as anything more than a jumping off point. She was free to spend as much or as little time as she wanted on each topic as long as she could answer some basic questions I had about them - what is it, how does it relate to.., what is it for.. why does it.., that kind of thing. Then her friend would come over on Thursday or Friday to do the lab with her. All my friend and I would do is set out the material, chat and try to not interfere. The kids did the entire lab by themselves and wrote the required lab reports then demonstrated the lab and presented their findings and their reports to us. At the beginning, we helped more, but as they learned, they began to do it all on their own. We were there to answer questions if needed. They thought it was really cool to have the freedom, but over the course of the year, they learned to read the labs carefully, learned how to pick out the information they'd need to present, the difference between results and conclusions. It all seemed pretty obvious to my friend and I, but giving the two of them ownership changed science for them.

I could have gone through a science textbook and picked topics and experiments myself, but it was nice to have it all laid out. A few were a little lame, but overall the process was terrific.

Thanks all. I do like the idea of alternating science and history...one (or two) weeks for one, then switch. That will allow us to immerse ourselves, and we both dislike "jmping around" too much. I also like Karen's idea. We will be using CPO Life Science and it has a fair nmber of labs, so it would be fairly easy to do.

I have it roughly sketched out at this point ... probably history 5 days a week for 30 minutes/day, and science 3 days a week for 1 hr/day.

We are doing my own American History w/ SOTW 3 & 4 woven in, with lots of supplemental videos and websites. We will be doing some light notebooking.

For science, we are going to do Mr. Q Physical Science with some extra activities and experiments. Science will be last in the day, so we can take as long as we need to.