Menu

Bizarre! Charismatic Christians, who Believe God Speaks to us Today, Read this

We have just started attending a new church. Been there a few weeks, and since I have allergy issues to the gallons of perfume everyone insists on wearing, I haven't been there as frequently and have to leave sometimes, and sometimes sit as far away as possible from others. I'm very private, and share very little information with anyone. No one knows me here. Sooo...last week, the Pastor is praying and says something like, "There is a woman here who is suffering from significant allergy issues. You have difficulty doing this and that (names specifics) etc.. Come forward and we will pray for you." Awesome. I go forward and some perfumed (irony!) women pray for me, which I tolerate, barely. Another woman, a very quiet, unassuming woman whom I don't know, starts telling me that the Lord wants to fix a bunch of specific innermost issues about me that she could not have known. My husband probably couldn't have known! She is quite accurate. She talked to me about three minutes. I'm amazed.

I actually had a really good week, with no attacks and breathing issues. May it continue! Hallelujah.

Great. Then today, just one week later, he says, "There is a situation here between an X and an X (two family members: I'd prefer not to get specific) and here is the problem between you two (gives an outline Specifics that are not generally applicable to other people- OH MY GOODNESS, It's me again!) and we want to pray that the strongholds that have built between you are broken down". This was quite specific information and there was no question it applied to me and another person! I don't know this guy from Adam and he - and a couple of other women in the church -have said things to and about me in prayer time two weeks in a row.

I must need more help than most people, and it really has been the roughest year of my life, and that's saying something. Just thought I'd share, because it is not only just weird that this happened with unknown people two weeks in a row, but I feel like God hasn't forgotten about me through all these struggles. That might encourage someone,because, of course, I'm not special. Just hang in there!

Cautiously optimistic!

Edited by TranquilMind

hmm... this does sound bizarre. The actual word that comes to mind is 'fishy'. I do believe that God can give that kind of discernment to people on occasion, but it is certainly not so they can blab it in front of an entire congregation of people and then invite specific people forward to be prayed for. :confused: Just be careful.

Guest submarines

It sounds like you found the experience to be positive and affirming. :grouphug:

The revelation of extremely personal details in front of the entire congregation would make me quite uncomfortable, though--for many reasons.

hmm... this does sound bizarre. The actual word that comes to mind is 'fishy'. I do believe that God can give that kind of discernment to people on occasion, but it is certainly not so they can blab it in front of an entire congregation of people and then invite specific people forward to be prayed for. :confused: Just be careful.

I guess I have a suspicious nature. I would wonder if they were searching the internet or gathering other information from somewhere.

Those type of churches are pretty common up here. It's not because they search the internet, or because they are stalking you. I know for those people that aren't from that type they look insane, and for people like me, it's a little uncomfortable, but I wouldn't be quick to label it as fake. I've seen too much to label it that way.

That's not saying there aren't the fake ones out there, usually those type of guys are flashy enough though that they make a name for themselves and half of them end up on tv (at least that's how it seems sometimes).

BTW, Congrats on finding a church that seems to fit you and your families needs. That's not always an easy thing to do.

Those type of churches are pretty common up here. It's not because they search the internet, or because they are stalking you. I know for those people that aren't from that type they look insane, and for people like me, it's a little uncomfortable, but I wouldn't be quick to label it as fake. I've seen too much to label it that way.

That's not saying there aren't the fake ones out there, usually those type of guys are flashy enough though that they make a name for themselves and half of them end up on tv (at least that's how it seems sometimes).

BTW, Congrats on finding a church that seems to fit you and your families needs. That's not always an easy thing to do.

I completely agree that it is not necessarily fake, but I will say from being on the other side of this, the one giving the "prophetic word," that a huge part of it is really good people reading skills. Think The Mentalist.

I would have been able to tell immediately that the op probably had allergies, was a private person, and having some deep relational issues simply because she sat away from the majority of people, returned to church a few times, did not have an angry demeanor, but did not reach out a ton. Granted it would have been a bit of a guess, but a very accurate one based on observing lots of people.

OP, I am glad you have found a place you enjoy being. I do not always know how I "know" things about people. Is it a gift? Is it just being able to read people and being a people watcher? I do not know, but I am glad you were comforted.

Maybe I wasn't clear, and I have been around this world for 20+ years, so I know you need to be discerning. I've seen totally flesh things as well, and can generally easily discern the difference.

But it wasn't blabbing unkind details that were embarrassing or anything, which I would not believe is the Holy Spirit, who is kind and gentle. It was just kind of spot-on and unlikely to be widely replicated among the congregation, and coming from people who don't know us at all.

I have indeed seen people called forward for things, yet the willingness to respond has to come from within. NO one knows that it is you, except you. You don't have to respond in any way, but if you hear something like, "You haven't smoked for 26 years, yet last night, while sitting in your pick up, you lighted up a Tarleton, sat back and said to yourself, "I'm just going to smoke this one, and it will not become a problem again. Come let us pray for you to resist that temptation so you stay free" and that's YOU and exactly what you did at the time (not my situation), and coming from people who could not possibly know, experience has taught me that God is trying to get my attention.

I guess I have a suspicious nature. I would wonder if they were searching the internet or gathering other information from somewhere.

Ha. No one is more skeptical than me, so I had to laugh at this, having just tracked down and researched an unfamiliar phone number of a girl that texted my son from another state, to be sure that it was indeed a girl, and not a predator.

Only this particular info isn't out there, I promise! I'm very careful at what I share online.

It sounds like you found the experience to be positive and affirming. :grouphug:

The revelation of extremely personal details in front of the entire congregation would make me quite uncomfortable, though--for many reasons.

Well, I agree with you, but guess I see a distinction between:

"You are thinking about having an affair with your next door neighbor (or that woman at the office). When you saw him/her last night, you were ready to move forward but got a phone call"

(This is something I would take up privately with the pastor if I felt that I needed help)

and

"You have been struggling with unforgiveness of your parent (or fear or a controlling nature, or sibling issues) and need to let that go"

Something more general and not immediate.

I agree with you. Flashy pastors that are intent on being "the one God talks to" who gives you the word from on high are suspect. Any church built on a personality is suspect. The ministry is of the church, not of the pastor.

He was NOT the one who had anything to say to me after I came forward, by the way. It was a different woman, unknown to me, each time who just walked up to me and started praying and then speaking to me. I was free to walk away, but I listened respectfully, and by golly, she was spot on each time, when my deepest self admits it. Which I can do to you all, of course, because you don't know me! ;)

I completely agree that it is not necessarily fake, but I will say from being on the other side of this, the one giving the "prophetic word," that a huge part of it is really good people reading skills. Think The Mentalist.

I would have been able to tell immediately that the op probably had allergies, was a private person, and having some deep relational issues simply because she sat away from the majority of people, returned to church a few times, did not have an angry demeanor, but did not reach out a ton. Granted it would have been a bit of a guess, but a very accurate one based on observing lots of people.

OP, I am glad you have found a place you enjoy being. I do not always know how I "know" things about people. Is it a gift? Is it just being able to read people and being a people watcher? I do not know, but I am glad you were comforted.

Funny. I'm a very good people-reader too. I think I'm pretty inscrutable to others, but it would be interesting to meet each other and see if we could size each other up accurately.;)

It IS a gift, when utilized in the church, though the benefits of it certainly probably work in our everyday lives to some extent as well. When you "just know" something about someone that you could not possibly know (an experience I have had many times), it is evidence of a prophetic gifting of some type, or a "word of knowledge". Some develop it well and some never develop it, but God's gifts are given "without repentance" so you have them if you have them, regardless of what you do with them.

I agree that the allergy thing would be easier to pick up, and, granted, lots of people have allergies but the very specific relationship thing was a little startling to me. No way would anyone have picked that up observationally.

Edited by TranquilMind

Maybe I wasn't clear, and I have been around this world for 20+ years, so I know you need to be discerning. I've seen totally flesh things as well, and can generally easily discern the difference.

But it wasn't blabbing unkind details that were embarrassing or anything, which I would not believe is the Holy Spirit, who is kind and gentle. It was just kind of spot-on and unlikely to be widely replicated among the congregation, and coming from people who don't know us at all.

I have indeed seen people called forward for things, yet the willingness to respond has to come from within. NO one knows that it is you, except you. You don't have to respond in any way, but if you hear something like, "You haven't smoked for 26 years, yet last night, while sitting in your pick up, you lighted up a Tarleton, sat back and said to yourself, "I'm just going to smoke this one, and it will not become a problem again. Come let us pray for you to resist that temptation so you stay free" and that's YOU and exactly what you did at the time (not my situation), and coming from people who could not possibly know, experience has taught me that God is trying to get my attention.

I haven't seen this first hand but I have heard stories from close sources (family) that make me believe this to be true. I have, myself, had some personal experiences (that aren't exactly the same) in that I feel that God is using specific people to speak to me for a situation. I know God is still doing his work even in our day ...

ETA: I've had experiences where there was know what I could know something -- although didn't say anything directly to that person -- somehow knew it all the same...was a private thing -- couldn't be read from body language. I also have have heard of a story where someone prayed about someone and a sort of thought or picture came into their mind ... when they shared what they thought with that person they broke down and asked how they could possibly have known this (it was something personal and from their past). The person knew it was a word from God because they, themselves, had no clue how they could know it.

Edited by mommy5

We have just started attending a new church. Been there a few weeks, and since I have allergy issues to the gallons of perfume everyone insists on wearing, I haven't been there as frequently and have to leave sometimes, and sometimes sit as far away as possible from others. I'm very private, and share very little information with anyone. No one knows me here. Sooo...last week, the Pastor is praying and says something like, "There is a woman here who is suffering from significant allergy issues. You have difficulty doing this and that (names specifics) etc.. Come forward and we will pray for you." Awesome. I go forward and some perfumed (irony!) women pray for me, which I tolerate, barely. Another woman, a very quiet, unassuming woman whom I don't know, starts telling me that the Lord wants to fix a bunch of specific innermost issues about me that she could not have known. My husband probably couldn't have known! She is quite accurate. She talked to me about three minutes. I'm amazed.

I actually had a really good week, with no attacks and breathing issues. May it continue! Hallelujah.

Great. Then today, just one week later, he says, "There is a situation here between an X and an X (two family members: I'd prefer not to get specific) and here is the problem between you two (gives an outline Specifics that are not generally applicable to other people- OH MY GOODNESS, It's me again!) and we want to pray that the strongholds that have built between you are broken down". This was quite specific information and there was no question it applied to me and another person! I don't know this guy from Adam and he - and a couple of other women in the church -have said things to and about me in prayer time two weeks in a row.

I must need more help than most people, and it really has been the roughest year of my life, and that's saying something. Just thought I'd share, because it is not only just weird that this happened with unknown people two weeks in a row, but I feel like God hasn't forgotten about me through all these struggles. That might encourage someone,because, of course, I'm not special. Just hang in there!

Cautiously optimistic!

That is so awesome! Something similar happened to me when I got saved. God just spoke miraculously and directly to me through the pastor and it was so specific I KNEW it was for me and no one else. I couldn't believe it! I gave my life to Him that day and have thanked Him everyday since for it! I couldn't believe that God even knew my name or that He even cared about me at all, but He did. Not only did He know my name, He knew every single hurt in my heart and burden that I was carrying on my back and He healed me and lifted that burden off me that day. I had an appointment with my Lord that day and didn't even realize and He showed up early and was waiting for me to arrive. :crying: I'm so so grateful and thankful that He does speak directly to us today and that His name is still mighty to save and do miracles. Praise His holy name!! :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

That is so awesome! Something similar happened to me when I got saved. God just spoke miraculously and directly to me through the pastor and it was so specific I KNEW it was for me and no one else. I couldn't believe it! I gave my life to Him that day and have thanked Him everyday since for it! I couldn't believe that God even knew my name or that He even cared about me at all, but He did. Not only did He know my name, He knew every single hurt in my heart and burden that I was carrying on my back and He healed me and lifted that burden off me that day. I had an appointment with my Lord that day and didn't even realize and He showed up early and was waiting for me to arrive. :crying: I'm so so grateful and thankful that He does speak directly to us today and that His name is still mighty to save and do miracles. Praise His holy name!! :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Amen!

I have to smile at the suspicious people, not rudely, but I have had these experiences in charismatic church two decades before there was an internet. Charismatic church it far from perfect, but I have seen enough of these things to know that they happen, and are not set up.

OP: I am glad you are getting attention from God that you needed.:001_smile:

That same thing happened to me a few years back. We are a family of rather skeptical realists -- though Christians -- and in fact I always stayed away from church services that had "prophets."

A friend invited me to go to a service in town where there was a close friend of the pastors coming to speak, and supposedly had the gift of prophecy. He was a very humble man, quiet and not an attention-getter. He had a prophetic word for several people in the congregation that evening, one of them being me and one of them my son (and others too). There is no way he could have known the stuff he knew. He wasn't "blabbing", and in fact when he got to the more personal stuff it was after he had called us up and spoke quietly to only us. It was quite...amazing. It was one of the only times I have ever felt God personally in my own life.

I've never been back to a prophet since. I know some people get addicted, in a way, to that kind of stuff. Seeking things like that becomes the central part of their faith.

But it is an amazing experience I will always cherish my heart that reminded me of how God is involved and interested in each and every one of our lives.

ETA: I've had experiences where there was know what I could know something -- although didn't say anything directly to that person -- somehow knew it all the same...was a private thing -- couldn't be read from body language. I also have have heard of a story where someone prayed about someone and a sort of thought or picture came into their mind ... when they shared what they thought with that person they broke down and asked how they could possibly have known this (it was something personal and from their past). The person knew it was a word from God because they, themselves, had no clue how they could know it.

I am not visual like this. I have had one vision only once - actually of the cross and of being a part of the crowd - a couple of decades ago. But I do know many people who are totally visual types and with whom God communicates visually, not verbally, which is mostly what happens with me, in the occasional instances.

I have a friend who came out of pretty deep witchcraft...magick, she called it, into faith in Jesus. Her experiences were totally different than mine, and things she needed to be around and/or avoid were different as well. God certainly deals with us individually.

jjhat: A friend invited me to go to a service in town where there was a close friend of the pastors coming to speak, and supposedly had the gift of prophecy. He was a very humble man, quiet and not an attention-getter. He had a prophetic word for several people in the congregation that evening, one of them being me and one of them my son (and others too). There is no way he could have known the stuff he knew. He wasn't "blabbing", and in fact when he got to the more personal stuff it was after he had called us up and spoke quietly to only us. It was quite...amazing. It was one of the only times I have ever felt God personally in my own life.

That's great. It's really astonishing when it happens, isn't it?

I've never been back to a prophet since. I know some people get addicted, in a way, to that kind of stuff. Seeking things like that becomes the central part of their faith.

That's true and you really, REALLY don't want to go there. As my friend used to say, "There's a ditch on both sides. Stay in the middle of the road". You don't want to fall off into the ditch of ritualistic, dead church, but you also don't want to fall off into the ditch of crazy, experience-seekers either.

But it is an amazing experience I will always cherish my heart that reminded me of how God is involved and interested in each and every one of our lives.

Yeah. Things like that get me through the very dark times. Like David, I remind myself, "Well, God did this, and He did that (looking back)....so I have to believe He is going to help me out here also, sooner or later."

Funny. I'm a very good people-reader too. I think I'm pretty inscrutable to others, but it would be interesting to meet each other and see if we could size each other up accurately.;)

It IS a gift, when utilized in the church, though the benefits of it certainly probably work in our everyday lives to some extent as well. When you "just know" something about someone that you could not possibly know (an experience I have had many times), it is evidence of a prophetic gifting of some type, or a "word of knowledge". Some develop it well and some never develop it, but God's gifts are given "without repentance" so you have them if you have them, regardless of what you do with them.

I agree that the allergy thing would be easier to pick up, and, granted, lots of people have allergies but the very specific relationship thing was a little startling to me. No way would anyone have picked that up observationally.

Yes, I have been told I have a prophetic gift. ;) I am honestly at a point where I just do not know how much is God and how much is things my brains registers that I can't quite put into words/thoughts. Things like do you attend with or without your spouse? Wear a wedding band? Did someone mention a parent or sibling and did your eyes lower or glance away? Did your gaze rest for awhile on an infatuated couple or a brother gently leading a sister down the aisle? What things do you look away from?

I hate that I am about to mention this, but it was something I went for training in through some of the bigwigs at IHOP-KC. :glare: I can do the whole mental image thing and I have watched people break down into a sobbing mess when I have spoken about what I "see."

Since converting to EO, it is the same, but different. I treasure things up more and speak less. I remember the times people took what I said as a promise or guarantee (even though I never made or gave those) and when things didn't come up roses a month later, they turned their backs on Christianity. :o

I also remember when I said something and it so convinced them that God was there, that when the Sr. Pastor became extremely unhealthy they refused to leave the church. They KNEW God was there and couldn't dissociate their experience from the building. When things finally became untenable they never trusted a church or Pastor again. So, as you can tell I have very mixed feelings on this

Just rambling :D and thinking about things I haven't in awhile.

I have to smile at the suspicious people, not rudely, but I have had these experiences in charismatic church two decades before there was an internet. Charismatic church it far from perfect, but I have seen enough of these things to know that they happen, and are not set up.

I just wanted to use this comment as a springboard to also add to my other post, that it is not only in Charismatic fellowships. The experience I had happened in a Methodist church and I got saved in a place that doesn't even have altar calls. God can meet us anywhere that we're at whether it be in a Charismatic fellowship, a traditional denominational fellowship, on the road to Damascus or even at a well. ;) :p No matter where we are He is able. :)

Juniper:" Yes, I have been told I have a prophetic gift. ;) I am honestly at a point where I just do not know how much is God and how much is things my brains registers that I can't quite put into words/thoughts.

Well, what I do is test it in little ways. "Lord, if that was my own thought, and not you, let this or that happen. If I'm supposed to do something, show me another way." Stuff like that.

Things like do you attend with or without your spouse? Wear a wedding band? Did someone mention a parent or sibling and did your eyes lower or glance away? Did your gaze rest for awhile on an infatuated couple or a brother gently leading a sister down the aisle? What things do you look away from?

I notice all this about others, but think (rightly or wrongly) that I don't really respond to any of it. Not to mention that I do things very differently than others: Great marriage but no wedding ring (knuckles larger now in middle age), I drive separately from husband and even sit separately sometimes. When I feel "called out", I completely do not respond or look any direction, intentionally. I'm weird that way.

I hate that I am about to mention this, but it was something I went for training in through some of the bigwigs at IHOP-KC. :glare: I can do the whole mental image thing and I have watched people break down into a sobbing mess when I have spoken about what I "see."

You and I would be good friends. My single friends used to ask me to come anonymously (if possible, like at a public place) analyze the guys they were dating, just to see if I could pick up on what sorts of issues were arising or going to arise. I was pretty accurate!

Since converting to EO, it is the same, but different. I treasure things up more and speak less. I remember the times people took what I said as a promise or guarantee (even though I never made or gave those) and when things didn't come up roses a month later, they turned their backs on Christianity. :o

Yeah. I definitely don't want that. I don't ever say anything to anyone unless I simply cannot restrain myself because it is so strong. I'm much more of the, "This MUST be my thought. What the heck! I am NOT going to think that much less say it" kind of person, myself. Nor do I ever take what anyone says to me as a promise or anything. People are people and get some things right and some things wrong. Or I could put my own reading on something said to me that was not intended that way. Whatever is from God is confirmed "by two or three witnesses", minimum, so I don't worry about any single thing in particular.

I also remember when I said something and it so convinced them that God was there, that when the Sr. Pastor became extremely unhealthy they refused to leave the church. They KNEW God was there and couldn't dissociate their experience from the building. When things finally became untenable they never trusted a church or Pastor again. So, as you can tell I have very mixed feelings on this

Yeah, I see that. Definitely, good judgment and the wisdom of others who are mature is always important.

Just rambling :D and thinking about things I haven't in awhile.

Glad to hear it!

I just wanted to use this comment as a springboard to also add to my other post, that it is not only in Charismatic fellowships. The experience I had happened in a Methodist church and I got saved in a place that doesn't even have altar calls. God can meet us anywhere that we're at whether it be in a Charismatic fellowship, a traditional denominational fellowship, on the road to Damascus or even at a well. ;) :p No matter where we are He is able. :)

Amen to that.

My straight-laced Baptist Pastor (many years ago) was visited by charismatic phenomena much against his will and to his great surprise. Baptists just don't do that.

God had a different idea.

I can relate to this. I have been told I have the gift of prophecy. It is something I have very mixed feelings on as well. My church/faith doesn't acknowledge this gift as being active this way, but I have personally experience it. I also tend to stay quiet.

Every now and again, I am compelled to speak. There have been times I have wrestled with God on this issue because it seems a little out there. But time and time again, He is right, and I hang my head in shame for lacking faith. Anyway, I am rambling too, but I could just so relate to this.

Anyway the OP, sounds to me like the gift of healing which I know is often criticized as well.

But I know the Lord can and does heal miraculously!

I have a relative who was healed of a serious medical condition instantly. She was having surgery. Dr 1 did the first part then let Dr 2 take over. He just about accused dr 1 of malpractice because when he got there her organ was perfectly healthy. Dr 1 came back and was stunned. Thankfully, he had witnesses (the surgical staff) and medical reports including a prior to support him operating. Or he could have been in trouble. The drs had to admit it was a miracle because there was no medical explanation for it.

That's awesome!

Amen to that.

My straight-laced Baptist Pastor (many years ago) was visited by charismatic phenomena much against his will and to his great surprise. Baptists just don't do that.

hehehehe The pastor who preached at the church where I was saved didn't know what to make of me either. :p hehe

God gives gifts of the Holy Spirit. Prophesy and words of discernment are amount those gifts. For sure, there are a lot of fakes out there but there are also ones that operate in these gifts not to impress or make themselves look good but because they love the Lord, spend time in prayer and are willing to be obedient when they are prompted.

I have been in churches where the Gifts flowed freely and were real. I have been in churches that they were forced and you could tell.

I am glad that you have round the first and your heart is responding to those words. Actually, I haven't been in one of those churches now for a long time. I want to come to your church.:)

Amen to that.

There's also a branch of Charismatic Catholics. :001_smile:

I tend to keep my mouth shut on things I 'know'. Sometimes I'm compelled to say something.

There's also a branch of Charismatic Catholics. :001_smile:

I tend to keep my mouth shut on things I 'know'. Sometimes I'm compelled to say something.

Yes, I know. We married in the Catholic Church and landed in a Charismatic Catholic Church rather early on. There was a fantastic priest there. He always wore sandals, even in the winter.

I try to keep my mouth shut too, but sometimes you just can't.

Yes, I know. We married in the Catholic Church and landed in a Charismatic Catholic Church rather early on. There was a fantastic priest there. He always wore sandals, even in the winter.

I try to keep my mouth shut too, but sometimes you just can't.

Sometimes you shouldn't keep shut, true.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I too had to chuckle to myself over the suspicious posts... heck, I've been in charismatic churches since 1985 and this is pretty normal stuff. When a prophet comes in and reads you in intimate detail... that is not them, but the word of knowledge via the Holy Spirit. Not a Mentalist, Psych, or opportunity to rip someone off. :lol: Seriously?

Before I was saved, my family did a lot of tarot cards and other, eh... "stuff". Had a Great Auntie who was Psychic and that lady could read a complete stranger and blow them away with very intimate details of their lives. But truthfully, it was the familiar spirit working in Great Auntie telling her exactly what was going on in that person's life. If demons can do this, why can't God give revelation? ;)

and I left after horrible spiritual abuse. I have been told I have the gift of discernment/prophecy, and can totally relate to having to keep my mouth shut most of the time.

I haven't used it to tell another person since leaving that church a few years ago, but today I felt compelled to do so. The lady selling me my glasses had some suspicious spots on her forehead, but was very young. I asked her if she had a Dr. check them before, to which she replied, no. I simply said, well, it would be a good idea to get them checked as soon as you can.

I normally would shy away from strangers, but after a few previous "words of knowledge" that I shied away from and then seeing the outcome within a few weeks, I have to just trust that sometimes God is speaking to me to minister to others.

I also have prophetic dreams. The last one was about three weeks ago, where I had a dream that I was in Kenya, visiting a missionary friend, and we were in the little church when suddenly terrorist came in and started shooting all the Christians. That is exactly what happened six days later, in a church that this missionary friend was visiting.

and I left after horrible spiritual abuse. I have been told I have the gift of discernment/prophecy, and can totally relate to having to keep my mouth shut most of the time.

I haven't used it to tell another person since leaving that church a few years ago, but today I felt compelled to do so. The lady selling me my glasses had some suspicious spots on her forehead, but was very young. I asked her if she had a Dr. check them before, to which she replied, no. I simply said, well, it would be a good idea to get them checked as soon as you can.

I normally would shy away from strangers, but after a few previous "words of knowledge" that I shied away from and then seeing the outcome within a few weeks, I have to just trust that sometimes God is speaking to me to minister to others.

I also have prophetic dreams. The last one was about three weeks ago, where I had a dream that I was in Kenya, visiting a missionary friend, and we were in the little church when suddenly terrorist came in and started shooting all the Christians. That is exactly what happened six days later, in a church that this missionary friend was visiting.

Woah! That is so scary. It must be a difficult gift to have. I can sense the burden of responsibility that must come with it. :grouphug::grouphug:

I got off really easy, I think my spiritual gift is Encouragement. :p hehe

I too had to chuckle to myself over the suspicious posts... heck, I've been in charismatic churches since 1985 and this is pretty normal stuff. When a prophet comes in and reads you in intimate detail... that is not them, but the word of knowledge via the Holy Spirit. Not a Mentalist, Psych, or opportunity to rip someone off. :lol: Seriously?

Before I was saved, my family did a lot of tarot cards and other, eh... "stuff". Had a Great Auntie who was Psychic and that lady could read a complete stranger and blow them away with very intimate details of their lives. But truthfully, it was the familiar spirit working in Great Auntie telling her exactly what was going on in that person's life. If demons can do this, why can't God give revelation? ;)

How is one to know if something is coming from a familiar spirit/demon or the Holy Spirit? I ask this as a sincere question. When I hear about about people knowing and seeing things....this question always runs through my mind.

I've been involved with charismatic churches for over forty years, and can attest to the point about prophetic words being around prior to the Internet. Why in the world would the Lord NOT speak directly to the people of today? To be honest, I think He'd speak more to all of us rather than a few, if we'd be more open to listening.

What a joy to read this thread! I didn't know there were so many charismatics here and that I'm not an "oddball" in the group. And I'm thrilled for the op who is obviously getting extremely blessed by the Lord lately.

Blessings,

Lucinda

How is one to know if something is coming from a familiar spirit/demon or the Holy Spirit? I ask this as a sincere question. When I hear about about people knowing and seeing things....this question always runs through my mind.

One obvious clue is if it lines up with scripture. God does not instruct us in ways that contradict with each other.

Blessings,

Lucinda

and I left after horrible spiritual abuse.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Please don't let the bad behavior of people keep you from being used by God in other fellowships. I'm so sad when I learn about abuses within the church! In my experience, that is the kind of thing that follows when a religious spirit takes hold within a church. Sad, so very sad.

Blessings,

Lucinda

The gift to be able to read a person is timeless... be it a shaman, healer, or whatever. I've seen a demonic possessed person spout out hidden sins in a person who was trying to exorcise/deliver them. And I've encountered indigenous people overseas who knew quite well about my walk with God (I did not say a word) and they did not like that.

I think in my experience seeing both worlds, if it is the Holy Spirit speaking thru a person (i.e. word of knowledge) then you will not feel condemnation, guilt, shame or fear. You will feel peace and sometimes an overwhelming sense of unconditional love. Many times, there is no drama or swinging from the chandeliers stereotypical behavior or hysteria. Usually, a word given like this is opportunity for the person to realize they are not alone and God truly does care about their situation. It never is a reason to surprise or startle the person.

For that same reason, you do need to be careful with someone who says they have a message from a loved one -- but are not using the Holy Spirit as a believer -- as the familiar spirit can simply communicate the obvious (i.e. spirit world) and it will emotionally hit them in a sensitive (or grieving) manner... but if it does not glorify God, it is a false spirit. HTH

One obvious clue is if it lines up with scripture. God does not instruct us in ways that contradict with each other.

Blessings,

Lucinda

:iagree:

Edited by tex-mex

I'm not suspicious in the least. I've seen this happen many times in Pentecostal/charismatic churches. :)

The gift to be able to read a person is timeless... be it a shaman, healer, or whatever. I've seen a demonic possessed person spout out hidden sins in a person who was trying to exorcise/deliver them. And I've encountered indigenous people overseas who knew quite well about my walk with God (I did not say a word) and they did not like that.

I think in my experience seeing both worlds, if it is the Holy Spirit speaking thru a person (i.e. word of knowledge) then you will not feel condemnation, guilt, shame or fear. You will feel peace and sometimes an overwhelming sense of unconditional love. Many times, there is no drama or swinging from the chandeliers stereotypical behavior or hysteria. Usually, a word given like this is opportunity for the person to realize they are not alone and God truly does care about their situation. It never is a reason to surprise or startle the person.

For that same reason, you do need to be careful with someone who says they have a message from a loved one -- but are not using the Holy Spirit as a believer -- as the familiar spirit can simply communicate the obvious (i.e. spirit world) and it will emotionally hit them in a sensitive (or grieving) manner... but if it does not glorify God, it is a false spirit. HTH

:iagree:

Yes it does! Thank you so much! :)

HSMom2One: What a joy to read this thread! I didn't know there were so many charismatics here and that I'm not an "oddball" in the group.

Yes, we seem sort of few and far between in the world.

And I'm thrilled for the op who is obviously getting extremely blessed by the Lord lately.

Well, after the night of absolute hell I just had, I guess He was just trying to remind me in advance that He was still there and I was going to make it through this.

In faith.