Menu

Fun Math?

naturally

We are using CLE and I would like to stick with it (in level 200, going into 300). But DS wants more "fun" math. Anything I can supplement with? He liked the samples of BA but I worry it might be too much for him right now.

He loves playing on the computer but I hate having him play games without a little direction. I've looked at Teaching Textbooks but it's too expensive for a supplement.

:confused: I'm really not sure what I'm looking for or even how I would want to implement it. So maybe no one can really help.

We do Saxon Math, but for extra math I have started to get mathy books from the library. They are stories that incorporate math and after reading it together, you can discuss the math and maybe practice it using some of your own examples. Books like:

Sir Cumference (there's a whole bunch of them)

Spaghetti and meatballs for all

How much is a million?

The grapes of math

Books by Greg Tang and Trudy Harris

And there are hundreds of books like that. I did a search in Amazon and my local library.

I like doing it this way, because it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg, it's not a second full math curriculum and it shows my kids that math have a practical application in real life. It's not just numbers in a book.

We also play math games from RightStart math.

Hope that helps!

I have many math supplements and a few main math books, but DD categorized living math books, MEP, and BA as fun. I do have other math supplements that I'm reading through first, so the list may grow.

BA seems to be intense in one area, and strangely, easy in another area. It feels like the author wants to give a break to the kids in various sections of the workbooks and then suddenly get them out of the safe zone. The more complicated problems are actually not that different from what I've seen in other books, but just compiled together in an orderly manner and cleverly paired with a comic textbook. Some problems require more thinking, which you would think could deter some kids, but Dd wants to solve them and thinks it's fun if there is challenge, and I think almost all kids are like that.

If a child asks every day when the next BA book will be published, I see it as a good sign.

We do Saxon Math, but for extra math I have started to get mathy books from the library. They are stories that incorporate math and after reading it together, you can discuss the math and maybe practice it using some of your own examples. Books like:

Sir Cumference (there's a whole bunch of them)

Spaghetti and meatballs for all

How much is a million?

The grapes of math

Books by Greg Tang and Trudy Harris

And there are hundreds of books like that. I did a search in Amazon and my local library.

I like doing it this way, because it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg, it's not a second full math curriculum and it shows my kids that math have a practical application in real life. It's not just numbers in a book.

We also play math games from RightStart math.

Hope that helps!

:iagree: Thanks, I forgot about those!

And Naturally, you're welcome, of course.

• 1 month later...

Livingmath.net has a lot of ideas. My son's favorite for a long time was polar bear math (from the library). Also times attacks ( a free computer game) for math facts. We used to just take turns rolling two dice and saying the math problem (2 plus 3 is 5) and tallying who won each round (highest sum) - even my older son found it fun. I picked up some 10 sided dice at a game store to expand it. Obviously you could do that for multiplication also.

I'm not looking at "fun" math right now, but...I'm not sure what I want to call it. I was very influenced recently by Samuel Blumenfeld's controversial math section in "How to Tutor". In a recent thread it was stated that we need to make sure all students are allowed to "join the conversation" as well as learn arithmetic. Soooo...okay, now I'm trying to figure out what that looks like.

So this week I'm using mostly How to Tutor copywork and extramath.com for arithmetic, and real books for mathematics. It appears that throughout history, arithmetic has sometimes been a separate subject from mathematics. So I'm playing around a bit, to see what it's like to teach them as separate subjects, with different goals and priorities

I'm not trying to save all the living math JUST for mathematics, and do want to incorporate it, when it is more EFFECTIVE than textbooks and drill and kill.

I'm trying to learn how to use money as an effective all over manipulative, to teach arithmetic in general. I purchased Dealing with Addition, a book on using playing cards for math instruction. Sometimes fun IS the most efficient way and sometimes it's NOT.

I want to focus on the elegance and order of arithmetic and make sure the student learns the most necessary skills for daily life, and I think for ME the most efficient way to teach that subject is with textbooks, drill and kill, fingerwork, recitations and copywork.

Mathematics on the other hand, I think requires a much more hands on approach. And that maybe textbooks are NOT the most efficient method.

But I'm experimenting, and we'll see what I think in a few months.

Our fun math includes:

Miquon

Life of Fred

Ed Zaccaro's Primary Challenge Math and Challenge Math

We also like a lot of the books mentioned by PPs and would add Penrose the Mathmatical Cat.

This, MEP, and Critical Thinking Co. books like Mathematical Reasoning and Balance Benders Math.