Menu

Art program for kinder and 1st?

avazquez24

We really like Artistic Pursuits. They have three books in their K-3 series, and the first one would work well with both levels. You really only need a day to complete the lessons, and my kids love it! It is a combo art study vs. project making. A little pricey, but non-consumable and well worth it.

I bought Artistic Pursuits, but found myself rarely using it. We do picture study once a week (usually Tues). I will get a biography and/or picture book and a calendar of the artists prints. I cut out 6 prints and laminate them (not necessary, but my kids love to touch it A LOT). We spend about 10 minutes reading something during Morning Basket Time (circle time). Then we spend about 10 minutes discussing the print. I let them look at it for a few minutes and then we turn the print over and let them tell me what they remember. Then we spend about 5 minutes discussing the print. They say amazingly profound things that I do not expect!)

We also do art on Fridays. It is usually painting, but sometimes it is drawing, coloring, crafts, etc. I just let them kind of do it on their own and create what they want to.

I do love Artistic Pursuits, but it was a little much for us at that young age.

• 2 weeks later...
We really like Artistic Pursuits. They have three books in their K-3 series, and the first one would work well with both levels. You really only need a day to complete the lessons, and my kids love it! It is a combo art study vs. project making. A little pricey, but non-consumable and well worth it.

:iagree:

Brenda

I'll be using this starting in the fall with my two dc (9 and 5). It looks good. It combines art skills with art appreciation, which is great when you have a toddler running around too.

Artistic Pursuits has a book for younger kids called The Way They See It. We loved it and it was a perfect introduction to the rest of the series for DS6. We repeated a few of the activities because he had so much fun with it, and I brought him to a local art museum to look at more real paintings when he started making some very astute observations about the artwork reproduced in the book.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree! We really like AP. We do quite a bit of artist study and picture study separately, but so far my dc are loving AP for their actual art projects.

I will be doing the first half of How To Teach Art to Children (Evan Moor) with my 4 and 6 year olds this coming year...

This is what I'm using this year for my K, 4th, and 5th graders. I wanted Artistic Pursuits, but I kept chickening out. I think dh may splurge on it at some point, b/c he's very excited that our kids are starting to show some serious interest.

In the meantime, I do think HTTA will eventually go beyond my 5yo's interest and ability at the pace I've planned, but it would be fine if I slowed it down.