Menu

Home Economics or sewing as a family? Curriculum recs, please

Just today I was looking through my huge Rainbow Resource catalog and the home economics section is great, with detailed descriptions of some of the programs. I think it's around page 113. Rainbow Resource catalog is free in case you don't have it. Excellent resource! :)

This may help, depending on what you're looking for. I just downloaded a freebie Stitchery ebook. It says it's a five year course in sewing and hand-stitching from 1911. Looks like a scan of the original book. Pretty interesting, IMHO.

Here's the link.

This does look interesting. I read the first few pages and am amazed at the thoroughness of the instructions. Example: Do not allow children to sew without basting. Never sew without a thimble. Do not accept careless knots. My mil, who has taught me how to sew, would agree wholeheartedly with this! :D

Simplicity of McCalls one has a really simple learning to sew pattern for sleep pants. It has very detailed instructions and is aimed at pre-teens and teens and is made to fit a boy or a girl. I think they had a couple of other Learning to sew patterns as well but can't remember what for.

For teaching children how to sew, I would suggest the Winky Cherry series. There are 6 books that teach hand sewing, embroidery, machine sewing and basic quilting. The books are written in rhyme and have very clear illustrations showing the steps. The books each come with the materials to do 2 projects.

For more information check out the publisher's site here

But, Amazon has a better price on the books, which you can see here

HTH

Amanda

4-H has sewing curriculum. I signed our family up as a 4-H group and had access to all their courses. We did a sewing into one and it was ok. You might check out the local Joann's classes and get an idea of what they are offering for their summer kid sewing topics-you can easily impliment those in your home. They do jammie bottoms, quilts, etc. and all the patterns and supplies are available in list form at Joanns.

This may help, depending on what you're looking for. I just downloaded a freebie Stitchery ebook. It says it's a five year course in sewing and hand-stitching from 1911. Looks like a scan of the original book. Pretty interesting, IMHO.

Here's the link.

I have this. I am reading through it now. I love old school and I like that it is expected for one hour a week and expected to take a long time. I will most likely use it, I'm just wondering what I should include in a proper course. We focused on cooking last year and my children have come a long way. I think they will all naturally learn the cooking, b/c it seems I am never in the kitchen without an assistant chef!

KUDOS on the freebie!

These books are great!!

"The Best of Sewing Machine Fun For Kids" by Nancy Smith and Lynda Milligan

It is very comprehensive from learning about the parts of a sewing machine, practicing sewing on paper, learning how to thread a machine, and very easy projects. (Cute ones too!)

Another great resource is "Stitches and Pins" by JoAnn Gagnon. (REally neat projects full sized patterns are included. There is also a boys version of this book.

Samples of this can be seen at http://www.bunkhousesewing.com

HTH,

Kelley