Menu

Memoria Press' Latin??

kye022984

We have used Prima Latin & Latina Christiana and we plan to use First Form next year. We haven't used any other Latin, so I can't compare, but I can tell you our experience.

Prima Latina is mostly a review of English grammar, basic Latin vocabulary, and Latin prayers. Towards the end they added in the 1st conjugation to give the student some exposure to grammar forms. Prima took us about 20-30 minutes three times a week. The program helped reinforce English grammar and gave a gentle intro to Latin. It was perfect for a 2nd grader who is still spending a lot of time on basic skills.

Latina Christiana was definitely a step up. There are 10 new vocab words a week and a new grammar form about every two weeks. The work level was good for my third grader, who was challenged to apply his new vocab and decline & conjugate into the needed forms. We work about 20-30 minutes a day, five days a week. We incorporated the Cumulative Review worksheets and the Ludere Latine game book. We have learned a lot this year, and I think LC will make the transition into First Form nice and gentle.

We did not use the DVDs, but we listen to the pronunciation CD and use the flashcards. Although it is not a "flashy" program, it is age-appropriate and effective. I didn't have any previous exposure to Latin, but I was able to learn alongside my son, with additional helps provided in the Teacher's Manual.

I whole-heartedly recommend this program, even though I have nothing to compare my experience to.

I am probably not helpful because we haven't actually used any Latin curriculum yet. :D But we just purchased Prima Latina to start this year and I have looked through it thoroughly. I really like it and think it will be good for my daughter. It seems logical and straightforward.

Of course we will have to see how it actually goes. ;)

Thanks for the replies. We plan to use the program with the copybook as well as the flash cards. I figured we only need the pronunciation cd since obviously I want to teach them the correct way to speak :)

I'm hoping it will be good for my second grader and I can pass it along to his two other siblings.

We've just started Prima (8yo) and First Form (almost 10yo). I like them both. For Prima I just have the teacher book. (We will be memorizing the prayers / Latin hymns as a family from Lingua Angelica, so I didn't get the CD.) It's a little vocabulary and basic grammar so far, very straight-forward.

FF is just what my eldest needed. We were using GSWL, but the translation was too much. Which is Cheryl Lowe's opinion. FF reminds me of SWR for some reason. We do have the regular kit for FF, just no DVDs. He does the workbook, and I've made a set of cards for the vocab so we can play memory.

I'm very impressed with their Latin.