Menu

Small rant -- music and the overstimulated

I like music. I have songs on my iPhone which I plugged into my van before it was totaled. I like singing. I even play Minecraft songs when I drive with the boys.

But, I like music in small doses. My dh has it on for hours a day in the living room. We have an 1,100 sq ft house, so you can hear it everywhere. It completely overwhelms me having noise constantly. I like it sometimes, though. I just can only handle external stimuli in doses here and there.

It never goes over well when I kindly ask him if I can turn it off, and headphones are out if the question b/c he reminds me he has a great sound system for a reason.

So, I'm just sharing this to get it off my chest.

You could get him a pair of Bose noise canceling ear phones. Then you could say, "That's why you have such great earphones." Or you could get him some Beats by Dr. Dre.

I know that won't work.

However, the music all day would drive me up a tree, and I like music, too.

I'll skip my thoughts on how this problem *should* be solved, and go to the suggestion that you can implement all on your own initiative.

Would noise-canceling headphones or earplugs dampen the noise enough to keep you from going insane?

My husband has discovered Judas Priest this year, so I can completely understand how music can drive one crazy. :tongue_smilie: (Fortunately for me, my DH doesn't have an expensive sound system and is fine with wearing headphones.)

I do think a person has the right to enjoy music, sound system, etc.

When I was younger, I had music going the entire time I was in my room.

When everyone leaves the house (which isn't often, trust me), I play music for a little while.

I have NEVER played music on the stereo system with everyone around unless it was to show one song or something. I have used my MP3 player with headphones. I'm not sure how that would be received by everyone.

He does play Pandora channels with songs he knows I like often. He doesn't really know to what extent it annoys me because I know how much he loves music. He plays the guitar, and we used to love singing together.

That's why it's a rant here -- to my other world. :)

I've been in my room with our white noise machine on for three hours. I can still hear it, but it's more of a booming every now and then.

Maybe it's bothering me more because I was supposed to have the house alone this weekend. I really dread weekends and evenings because I know that's what I have to look forward to.

I guess it depends on how OFTEN this is happening. If he is at home and has it on all day every day then yeah, you two need to negotiate something you can both live with.

But if this is just on the weekend (and you can have it turned off all week while he is at work), then I might suggest you buy YOURSELF a great pair of headphones - the really comfortable ones that they use on gun ranges. Tune out the music when he is listening and save your own sanity.

Have you told him? If so it seems inconsiderate. MY dh dislikes music playing quite a bit, as does DS. DD and I like to listen to music often. I have a portable ipod speaker doc, and we listen in my sewing room or upstairs and dance around like dorks. It's not like we never listen to music with them around, but not often.

I totally get you. I have no solution to offer, but I can say that, while I love listening to Pandora or NPR (or my iTunes music, or audiobooks) while I'm working, I absolutely reach a point where the input starts to frazzle me. And it's MY noise. I would be a nutcase if it was someone else's (because of feeling no control over it, not because other people's crap is crappier crap than mine ;) )

I'm the music lover in my relationship, and my dh likes it in moderation. He bought me a lovely little ipod shuffle years ago and some VERY nice earphones that feel comfy. I can listen to my music as much as I like without it bothering him. I even use it when he's not home now as my oldest ds is like him. My younger two are like me though and want music ALL the time. Guess I should get them their own shuffles.

:iagree:I'm with you on

When I was having my bladder surgery, I was just being put under and I asked "why the heavy metal?" The nurse said that the (middle aged, staid, balding) surgeon always worked with heavy metal.

So, be happy you aren't a scrub nurse Dawn.